transitioning with sew in?

strawberryangel83strawberryangel83 Registered Users Posts: 92
my braids only last three weeks because i get new growth way too quick. will i experience the same with sew ins?

Comments

• fireypixiefireypixie Registered Users Posts: 14
    i asked the same question and not many folks are interested in responding out of the 3 posts. i asked the question this week not more than 5 days ago. anyway, i started doing research on my own. here's the response pulchri2dinous gave me
    My current regimen:
    I have been wearing wigs, full weaves and full-head weaves since my last relaxer in Sept 2006 to help grow my hair out without relaxers.

I wear the weaves 2 to 3 months at a time (my roots do not tangle or get matted)

Spray Nadia Moisture Mist to braids underneath once per week

Spray Hydratherma Naturals Follicle Invigorator to scalp once or twice per week

Shampoo entire weave every 2 weeks, deep conditioner or treatment on braids

Shampoo or conditioner wash leave-out hair once per week, protein treatment or moisturizing treatment

Curlissma gave me this one

i'm in the same boat. my last relaxer was july 08. it was texturized, so i wore it out until this jan. the growth/texture difference was too much, so i decided to get my first weave.

i had so many questions.

now, a month and a half later, i LOVE it. i got a curly texture, so it wasn't a radical change. my hair just looks more polished haha

i got it washed at the hair dresser the first time to know what it should feel like, how hard to rub, how dry to get the tracks, etc. it's worth the investment. do it.

now i DC one week, and shampoo (with a gentle, sulfate free shampoo) and DC the next.
    i leave the conditioner in for about an hour with a bag over it. make sure to rub it into your scalp/tracks. your natural hair needs the same care as the extensions.

when drying, i use a handheld. i'm told that a hooded dryer works easier. but i dont' have one. i basicaly hold it close to the track and try it. it's not as hard as it may seem.

i also use a castor oil/sweet almond oil mixture to moisturize my tracks/edges to prevent breakage. it's been working well.

i can pull the track..so there's beensome growth. it'll be interesting to see how much there was when i take it down.

i plan on wearing weaves for another year or so
    if i can go til july 2010, i'd be happy.
    my poor wallet. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/prclrc/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

but, i figure money spent on hair shoudl go way down once i'm natural! only cuts from them on!!!
  • strawberryangel83strawberryangel83 Registered Users Posts: 92
    I really appreciate this information. What type of hair do you use? Is it easy to cover the new growth?

Thank you so much!
  • fireypixiefireypixie Registered Users Posts: 14
    lol. this is gonna be my fist time putting extensions on my head. don't know much. still researching though. when i discover i'll let u know
  • TrinigirlTrinigirl Registered Users Posts: 159
    Hi!

i wore weaves for years!!!! I could not wear them more than 3 months max. I had my hair cane/corn rowed and then the weft was sewn on to the row.

I had a lot of growth. I'm using braids now though to grow out me natural.
    Trinigirl
    Last relaxer 8/20/08 :afro:
    Mostly 4a , fine hair type, low porosity
    Using all natural products
    http://trinigirl4real.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file