Do you get greasy?

BellaRingletBellaRinglet Registered Users Posts: 25
I seem to get greasy after a day or two max. I've used a lime juice/baking soda/conditioner mix to help cut the grease. Are these safe to use 3-4 times a week? What do you do to cut the grease? Will the grease lessen with time on CG?

Comments

• ArtisticdaisyArtisticdaisy Registered Users Posts: 24
    I am having the same problem, I thought it might be build up, but it is concentrated around my roots. I am wondering if I am going to have to go mod CG, its driving me nuts!
  • lovemywaves!lovemywaves! Registered Users Posts: 5
    I've been CG for only about a week now. I'm cowashing every other day but on day 2, my roots are pretty greasy. I'm not using any products on it right now (other than the rinse-out conditioners) so I'm pretty sure it's not a build-up issue. I'm just assuming it's going through its adjustment phase right now. I haven't tried lemon or lime juice on it yet, but my hair absolutely hates baking soda and acv.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    You should probably skip the baking soda. Baking soda is pretty harsh and could be contributing to your adjustment trouble (remember: your scalp produces extra oil to compensate for being stripped of its oil when washed, so using something stripping like baking soda isn't helping). Use lemon juice instead of lime juice. Try to stretch out washing as far apart as you can manage, and also consider seeing if water washes take care of your grease in between co-washes. HTH
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    You should probably skip the baking soda. Baking soda is pretty harsh and could be contributing to your adjustment trouble (remember: your scalp produces extra oil to compensate for being stripped of its oil when washed, so using something stripping like baking soda isn't helping). Use lemon juice instead of lime juice. Try to stretch out washing as far apart as you can manage, and also consider seeing if water washes take care of your grease in between co-washes. HTH

Just a reminder.. it WILL, more than likely, take some time for your hair to adjust. Some don't have grease problems at all, others don't start to see real improvement to their hair for 4-6 weeks.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    MimsTX wrote: »
    Laura Lee wrote: »

Just a reminder.. it WILL, more than likely, take some time for your hair to adjust. Some don't have grease problems at all, others don't start to see real improvement to their hair for 4-6 weeks.

That too :) Thanks mims!
  • BellaRingletBellaRinglet Registered Users Posts: 25
    Uhg. Day 1 my hair is good, day 2 greasy, day 3 barely good enough for public viewing, day 4 so stringy and greasy only a hat will fix it. I water wash almost everyday but I'll try everyday and try more co-washing instead of the baking soda/lime juice. Is there anything less harsh that might cut the grease to a bearable level? 4-6 weeks is a long time :)
  • darcurldarcurl Registered Users Posts: 586
    i do not use any baking soda. it is too acidic on the ph scale. i will use acv but later on and that is just a treatment to balance ph. i cowash everyday, i am on day four, feeling good but be careful around time to get a shower you may break down and want to wash. i have no sulfate free poo so i really do not want to wash right now. i just cowash.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
  • kimbo43kimbo43 Registered Users Posts: 16
    I had been told by friends that I should shampoo less because of my curly hair. So way before I found this site, and really learned the ins and outs of taking care of my hair properly, I began to simply stretch out my shampooing from every other day, until I was only doing it every 4 days. I was still using a sulfate shampoo, but I was very surprised at how my hair seemed to adjust and became less and less oily. (I had always considered my hair oily and used shampoo's that were made for that.)

Then I found this site and felt like I had come home. After lurking for a month or so, I took the plunge and gave up shampooing, and began doing the co-wash, still only every 4 days. I did notice a little greasiness in the beginning, but maybe because I had already been stretching it out, it only lasted about 3 weeks. Now my hair is never greasy/oily.

You might try adding in a low-poo, maybe once a week, then begin to use it less and less as your hair adjusts. You might be more comfortable, and less likely to give up all together in frustration. I didn't notice what you are using for a co-wash, so make sure your co-wash has surfacants, which carry away oil and dirt - and scrub, scrub, scrub with your finger tips (not your nails), as I found out quickly I had to do a better job scrubbing that I had done when I was using shampoo.

My hair looks better and is curlier than it has ever been before. But it is always a process to figure out what is right and what will work for your hair. Good luck BellaRinglet! And keep us posted on your progress.
    Fine hair/lots of it... 2C very top/rest is 3A :glasses2:

Products I love: Cleansing - co-wash w/suave naturals. Rinse out - KBB milk/or Loreal Nutri Gloss. Leave in - KBB nectar/or giovanni direct. Style - KCCC, CJ Coffee Cocoa Curl Cream, Boticelli's Flax Gelee, BRHG, and DM Honey Jelly for scrunching into dry hair.:sunny:
    Lots of products I want to try!!:cheers:
  • BellaRingletBellaRinglet Registered Users Posts: 25
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I co-washed today and put away the lime/baking soda. My hair is pretty darn good. Maybe I just need to co-wash a little more for now. I rub, rub, rub my scalp with my fingertips and give it a good cleaning and a good rinse. I use Sauve Green Apple for a CO (I had it in my closet when I went CG).

We'll see how it goes from here but honestly I have not been tempted to use shampoo. My scalp feels awesome and my hair is not really that bad. I've been greasier WHILE using shampoo. Probably super striping my scalp and hair was creating an overflow of oil.

Thanks for the support guys and gals!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file