CurlTalk

Swimsuits/Bathing Suits. My many questions...

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
1. Which do you wear- One peice, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why?

2. Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit?

3. How many do you have & how often do you buy a new one?

4. Do you have a picture of your suit?

5. Any thoughts on age appropriate-ness of cetain styles?

I guess this is the first time in my life I have had to even think a/b a suit so much! I was always a skinny thing & automatically wore a itsy bitsy teeny weenie swimsuit every year... I recently lost a little of my "baby weight" (my baby is almost 2, so I have no real excuse). Anyway- it was time for me to buy a swimsuit again. Last year I avoided any swimwear situation. This year, I bought my first one since having my son. The only thing is I guess I am starting to feel old & not sure I am comfortable wearing a skimpy bikini like I used to be... I will prob. end up wearing a cover up the whoel time anyway... I have a beach trip in 2 weeks....
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    1. Which do you wear- One piece, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why? I wear a tankini because I ain't a skinny little thing anymore :D

2. Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit? I call it a swimmin' suit - always have!

3. How many do you have & how often do you buy a new one? I have two right now - I probably won't buy another one this year.

4. Do you have a picture of your suit? I do not - but it's just a traditional tankini.

5. Any thoughts on age appropriate-ness of cetain styles? You're young and have a cute figure - where what you want while you have the bod for it! I wore a teeny bikini 'til I was 28 or so. I gained weight after that, though, so changed to the tankini.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I like the swimsuits from Lands End. You can mix and match. I have big thighs so I have a little swim skirt. This year, if I buy a suit, I'll get the swim shorts with a matching top.

347103_AF08_LF_OZB?op_sharpen=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=7.462686567164179&fmt=jpeg&id=3KYxPMQs8Qd5-19mOr7BJZ
    193107_A807_M1_DEK?op_sharpen=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=7.462686567164179&fmt=jpeg&id=0Dw9SmBTP0uu0yPbXH33yY
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    I don't know if you saw the 2 I posted.
    Haven't worn a 2 piece bikini since the honeymoon.
    Currently working my ass off to get into the new ones by summer :D
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    1. Which do you wear- One peice, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why?
    Bikini. I have a long torso and it is the most flattering style (if I have been working out at least).

Bathing suit.

I have one halter style and two string ones. I used to buy one every year but it's been around 2 years since I bought a new one.

No, it's been too long since I bought one. The one I wear most is similar to this but in solid brown.

I think some styles are more flattering on certain body types, not necessarily according to age.

I saw the pictures you posted recently shelli. You have a nice figure! But wear what makes you most comfortable. I liked the suit in the link btw.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

Bikini, I feel frumpy if I wear anything else(even if I'm not in great shape)

Bathing suit

3, not too often but I'm about to buy another one for an upcoming beach trip in a couple of weeks as well! I think I want yellow..

no

I think it has more to do with body type than age, although I'm one of those people who don't care what other pple think of my looks so I'll wear whatever I'm comfortable in.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I mostly wear bikinis, but I have a one piece that I wear if I'm at a water park. I tried the tankini thing and wasn't a fan. I'd rather show all my fat than have a spare tire of fat sticking out above my swimsuit bottom.

Swimsuit. See above.

I think I have three bikinis and a one piece. I usually buy one a year.

No, but a couple of them are La Blanca suits. They fit well and aren't too skimpy.

I think fit and coverage are more important than age-appropriateness. If you feel good in what you're wearing, go for it.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Bikini, though I do like the bathing suits that have the boy shorts because I think I look better in them

Bathing suit

2, I would like to buy a new one

Yes with me in it lol

I agree that it isn't about the age rather about the body type. If you have the body type for a bikini then go for it.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • hotmustang46gthotmustang46gt Posts: 95Registered Users

Bikini - Usually a string with a fuller bottom unless I'm five or ten pounds heavy, then wider sides on the bottom. A one piece looks worse on me than a bikini.

Swimsuit

8 or 10..usually a couple a year...I live ten minutes from the beach and if I'm not there, I'm on the boat every chance I get.

Yes, but it's when I was about ten pounds heavy so I won't scare anybody with it.

I think it's about what your comfortable in. I've seen some women in their 60s with amazing bodies!

What I do have a problem with are old geezers in speedos though! Ewww Ewwww Ewwww! :cussing:
    3b/3c very thick and porous mod-CG since 03/09

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users

One piece. I have a baby belly even though I weigh the same amount as before getting pregnant. I also would like to hide the still very red stretch marks that are on my midsection.

both, but most bathing suit

1 that fits and 1 that doesn't (this one is being donated to Goodwill) I just got my new one last week and the one that doesn't fit was bought about 6 years ago.

I can't find the exact suit online, but it's a black halter one piece from Oldnavy. The only thing that my suit has on it that this one doesn't would be ruching on the sides.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Foldnavy.gap.com%2Fbrowse%2Fproduct.do%3Fcid%3D5405%26amp%3Bpid%3D615110%26amp%3Bscid%3D615110052" class="Popup

I think you need to go for what body shape instead of age. I got the ruching on this suit to better hide my stomach.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    Which do you wear- One peice, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why? Bikini. Just like em

Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit?
    Bathing Suit

How many do you have & how often do you buy a new one? I HAVE 6. I wear 1. But 2 of them I JUST bought abd haven't gone anywhere to warrent a suit.

Do you have a picture of your suit?

pPOLO2-3615513_standard_v330.jpg

This is my everyday.
    The two I just bought are from VS. One is yellow and the other leopard print. They were $8 bucks so I figured what the hell.

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    1. Which do you wear- One peice, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why? tankini. my body has gone to hell since having a child. but im too young (in my opinion) to switch completely over to a traditional one piece. ive considered one of those cute one pieces with the sides cut out or an extremely low cut one.

2. Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit? bathing suit

3. How many do you have & how often do you buy a new one? currently only 1. pre baby i had a million string bikinis.

4. Do you have a picture of your suit? no but it is a plain black tankini. the top is halter and the bottoms are string bikini style.

5. Any thoughts on age appropriate-ness of cetain styles? to me its more about body appropriate than age appropriate. if i could wear a teeny weenie bikini and tote an almost 2 yr old on my hip, id be in heaven! go shelli, i'll be living vicariously through you!
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users

I wear a tankini. I own a few bikinis, but I'm not really all that comfortable in them. I'm extremely fair, and my stomach is blinding. My posture also isn't that great, so I have some super sexy crease marks across my stomach-- and I'm really not that out of shape. I prefer to cover those, where possible.

Bathing suit.

I own probably 3 or 4 but I pretty much only wear the one. I'm terrible at getting rid of old ones. I may get a new one this year, depending on whether I can findo ne I like.

Ur, no. But if you look at the Gap's swim page for "Essential Padded Halter Tankini" (I took the padding out) and the "Essential Hipster" bottom, that's mine, except it's a solid dark red/plum color.

I think it's less about age and more about shape. At 24 I wasn't in any kind of shape to be wearing anything revealing, but Cindy Crawford is what, 40? And she should wear a string bikini everywhere she goes so far as I'm concerned.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users

LOL...a one-piece. I think it's just WRONG for a woman my age to wear a bikini, no matter her physical condition.

I grew up calling it a bathing suit, but then the vernacular seemed to change when I was an adult, to swimsuit, so I tried to change. I noticed recently that the term bathing suit has come back, so I've gone back to that. One of my kids called it a baby-soup when he was little, so that's our family word for it.

I wear polyester lap suits, because they last a lot longer in chlorine than lycra suits (I swim laps daily), so I can get a whole year out of one.

I have this 1 in purple and 2 in black.

7553-2T.jpg

I wear it both for lap swimming and to swim recreationally at the pool or beach. The high neck works for lap swimming (not as much drag if you cover the cleavage), and it also gives me a bit of sun protection. This is the reason I don't have sun damaged chest like all the other women my age do.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I think it's less about age and more about shape. At 24 I wasn't in any kind of shape to be wearing anything revealing, but Cindy Crawford is what, 40? And she should wear a string bikini everywhere she goes so far as I'm concerned.

Cindy is over 40, and she has a damaged belly, just like the rest of us:

u3066CindyCrawfordBabyTummy.jpg

Some may feel it's just fine for any women to wear whatever she likes, but I'd prefer not to see everyone's stretchmarks. I wish men over 40 would cover up more too.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

Bikini. Why? I don't know- why not? lol

Bathing suit.

About three. I haven't bought a new one for a few years, I don't use them very often (unfortunately).

No.

Not really. Figure appropriate-ness is probably more important, ha!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    Bikini usually- because I can.

2. Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit? Interchangable. I've used both.

Every 3-5 years... I have 3 or 4 that are on heavy rotation. When they start looking rough, I replace.

Nope. I bought all of them at least 2 years ago.

If you still have a decent body then keep wearing bikinis... Wasn't it Helen Mirren who was rocking a bikini last summer? She looked amazing. Not hard-bodied and youthful but a good example of an older woman with an appropriate bikini.
    <insert signature line here>
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Bikini. I dont feel that I have a good enough body for it, but one pieces making me feel like stuffed sausage

2. Do you call it a swimsuit or a bathing suit? swimsuit

I have one cheapie Target one that I almost never wear anymore. I'm considering getting a new one if my fiancee and I decide to go on a honeymoon after the wedding.

no

As long as the body is ok. I think the tankini is one of the better suits for older or less fit women.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users

Typically bikini's, one piece's don't fit my short torso.. But I did buy a tankini top in Oct, due to an abdominal surgical scar I got in Sept that I had to cover from the sun.

I use both... probably swimsuit more often.

I don't know how many I have... probably at least a dozen or so. I buy a new one once a year or once every two years. Really only when I see something I want for a really good deal.

I tend to gravitate towards Roxy suits, they're well made and hold up very well (no flimsy tops and bottoms).

Wear what makes you feel good and flatters your shape.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Board shorts and a top or a tank top. Comfy, alot of my beach time is spent walking the dog, playing with the dog, etc., board shorts are more appropriate for my activities.

swimsuit

I have one pair, I don't care for them so I am in the market for a new pair and a new black top.

no

Yes.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    1. I haven't gone swimming in ages, but I'll probably stick to a one-piece. My tummy just isn't the same since I had kids, even though my weight and fitness are good. That picture RCW posted of Cindy Crawford's belly--that's what mine looks like.

2. I can call it both, but usually swimsuit.

3. I have several bikinis in my drawer and a one-piece that's the only one I'll wear.

4. Don't have a picture, but it's a Speedo brand one-piece that's black with a silvery pattern.

5. I think somewhere in one's 40's, they should stick to wearing one-piece suits. Rocking body or not. Something about a middle age woman wearing a skimpy bikini just seems like she's trying too hard.
    ehLB.jpg
  • AdrinaAdrina Banned Posts: 107Banned Users
    Sigi wrote: »
    I like the swimsuits from Lands End. You can mix and match. I have big thighs so I have a little swim skirt. This year, if I buy a suit, I'll get the swim shorts with a matching top.

347103_AF08_LF_OZB?op_sharpen=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=7.462686567164179&fmt=jpeg&id=3KYxPMQs8Qd5-19mOr7BJZ
    193107_A807_M1_DEK?op_sharpen=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=7.462686567164179&fmt=jpeg&id=0Dw9SmBTP0uu0yPbXH33yY

I like Lands End, but their prices have gotten in.sane. They have good quality, but I'm not paying $55 for a tankini top. People must be abandoning Land's End bigtime because I get emails like everyday advertising free shipping. I did get a good suit from their overstocks section last year. It's a navy tankini top with white polka dots and a plain navy bottom.

I got a brown two-piece from Old Navy this year - paid less than $20 for both pieces. It has a halter top and a basic bottom.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users

Bikini. Like Spunky, because I can I suppose.

Bathing suit.

A few I guess, though I don't know how many fit me properly because my chest size has changed with pregnancy and breastfeeding. I buy a new one once a year or less, if I need one, and I always buy cheap (usually Old Navy).

No.

ITA with everyone who said figure-appropriateness and I'll also add skin-appropriateness - if you're thin but with loose/saggy skin, probably better to cover it up. I might take notice if I saw an older woman wearing a bikini, but if she had the body for it I'd probably think Rock on!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,806Registered Users

Bikini - halter style top and low rise bottoms is my preference.

Neither actually, I just call it a bikini.

About 20. I buy one every few months.

This is was my latest purchase -I LOVE Lucky brand bikinis.

0931_1.JPG

Not really. A year ago I would have answered that differently, but we see damn near everything here. Nothing phases me anymore!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    While we're on the topic, does anyone know of someplace you can buy a two-piece with a sports-bra-style top, with separate sizes for top and bottom? I'd prefer a sporty two-piece instead of a traditional bikini for things like swimming lessons with my son at the YMCA, but I can't wear the same size top and bottom.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    1. Which do you wear- One piece, bikini, tankini, board shorts? What? Also- why?
    I wear a two piece because I like the way they look - most of mine have a halter or triangle top and a lowrise bottom with a little skirt.

We call them bathing suits around here.

3. How many do you have & how often do you buy a new one? I probably have 4 or 5 and usually get at least one new one every year or so.

I don't but they look like most skirted bikinis that they sell at Victoria's Secret and Newport News. I usually prefer solid dark colors (black, brown, red) but I do have a couple flowery ones.

5. Any thoughts on age appropriate-ness of certain styles?
    I think everyone should wear whatever the heck they want. I'm over 50 and most people would say my bathing suits and jeans and other clothes are not appropriate for someone my age. Ya know what I have to say about that? Well, it's not printable here. : ) Truly, people should wear what makes them happy, makes them feel good. Why shouldn't they show their flab, their scars, their stretch marks, their hairy backs. Why do we care? If I don't want to look at someone's saggy bits, I just don't look at it.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    While we're on the topic, does anyone know of someplace you can buy a two-piece with a sports-bra-style top, with separate sizes for top and bottom? I'd prefer a sporty two-piece instead of a traditional bikini for things like swimming lessons with my son at the YMCA, but I can't wear the same size top and bottom.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'm the same way and I need to mix and match. Dillards is good, but pricey. However, you can mix anything and they have a pretty wide selection of sports bra or underwire bikini/tankini tops.
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users

I have a both a tankini top and bikini top that match my board short bottoms. The husband made me get the bikini top, but I'm too self conscious to wear it anywhere public. So I opted for a matching tankini. I think I'll get regular swim suit bottoms this year, despite my thighs.

I go back and forth.

I've got my tankini, bikini, and a one piece around somewhere. I usually buy from Dillards and I'm gentle on my suits, so once every few years. I also don't go swimming often.

I tried looking for one, but couldn't find one

Those skimpy little men's Speedos are almost always scary.
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »

Pixie, you might try Speedo bikinis for a more sporty type. I used to get mine at sporting goods stores.

For normal swimwear, I tend to go to a specialty shop or department store because I buy separates too.
    <insert signature line here>