Flax-seed gel additions

kungfugirlkungfugirl Posts: 26Registered Users
Hi all. I've been making the standard flax-seed gel for a couple weeks. It works really well and I love what it's doing for my hair!

The only issue I'm having is the texture of the gel itself. Since it is so slimy, more ends up sliding out of my hair (and onto the floor!) than what stays in it.

So far the only things I've tried adding is honey, jojoba oil, and a little mag-sulfate. While helpful, this isn't changing the texture.

Any recommendations on making this stuff a little easier to work with? Maybe making it more like a cream?

Anyone who has added aloe-vera gel to the FSG- does that improve the texture of the gel itself, or does it still end up like slime?

Thanks! :help:
~*~

3a/2c medium texture, low porosity
Cowashes - Suave Coconut/VO5 Strawberries & Cream
Conditioners - Suave Coconut or Cherry Blossom/GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave Ins - GVP as needed
Gels - HESMU
Treatments - Nexxus Emergencee/ Homemade DT's
Trying- Boots Curl Creme, KCCC

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I add agave nectar and xanthan gum to mine. Seems to have more of a gel consistency.

But what helps the most is putting it in a recycled gel bottle. When I was putting it in a Tupperware-like container, I had a terrible time getting it out without it ending up all over the floor. :lol:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • curlykristencurlykristen Posts: 113Registered Users
    I've been playing with FSG for the past couple of months, and the best texture I've had is when I add some AVG, a little agave nectar or honey, an oil (like coconut or hemp seed) and a little xanthan gum. Yesterday I added a little glycerin too, and that seemed to help with the texture.

I agree with whatsercurl about the container...I found some 8 oz squeeze type bottles at Target a while back, and that's what I've been using. Even when I don't get it quite as thick as I like, it's still easier to deal with when you squeeze it out of a bottle.
    Mostly 3A, some 3B/2C fine-med texture/med porosity/low density

wash: alternate co-washing with V05 & soap bars
    Rinse out: Rotate TJ's N&S, AOHR, LVPNG, GVP K-Pak, CJ CA Daily Condish
    ACV rinses 2x/wk (high pH water)
    LI: if I use one, it's usually CJ CALI CJ H&B LI, or GDLI
    Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

Currently experimenting w/DM Miracurls CG & MM
  • kungfugirlkungfugirl Posts: 26Registered Users
    I've been using the squeeze bottle. It does help. It's the actual scrunching the gel into my hair that gets really messy.

Where do you find xanthan gum or glycerin?
    ~*~

Gels - HESMU

kungfugirl wrote: »

Where do you find xanthan gum or glycerin?

you can find them both at www.iherb.com

Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I found both at my local health food store
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wonder if a squirt of thick conditioner would help too? I use aloe, glycerin, Magnesium sulfate, jojoba oil and it is still snot-like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
    I wonder if a squirt of thick conditioner would help too? I use aloe, glycerin, Magnesium sulfate, jojoba oil and it is still snot-like.

That's a interesting idea. Maybe it would make the flax gel more like a combination gel & leave-in. Although for some there might be a risk of over-conditioning...
    ~*~

Gels - HESMU

• namom3namom3 Posts: 40Registered Users
    Try adding it to a spray bottle and then adding it to your hair in sections (make sure you drench, comb the gel through and SCRUNCH!) Works like magic!
    No: heating tools, sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash: Suave naturals (coconut and ocean breeze) Acct baking soda to clarify as needed
    DC: olive or almond oil with EO rosemary
    Style: Homemade flaxseed gel with aloe vera juice, epsom salt, and EO rosemary and lavender. Exploring various conditioners to use with the tightly curly method
    Want to try: adding different EO's to HFSG, growing out hair
    Always ISO: natural remedies for 3b curls!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I freeze mine in 4oz bottles. I've found that whisking it again when I defrost it helps to break up some of the "snot" like texture. It gets a little thinner, but is easier to apply. Unfortunately, I made and froze a big batch last night or would try the xanthum gum. I do put a lot of natural preservative in mine--Vit E oil, citric acid, lavender and rosemary EO.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lacunaCoilslacunaCoils Posts: 489Registered Users
    Ok, so I've been holding off from the FSG bandwagon since the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] was working well, but I'm just not happy with it anymore. I had some ground flaxseed, and then thought I had ordered some whole seeds, but it turned out to be ground also.

So I decided to try it with the ground flaxseed in a nylon pantyhose with a rubberband around it and boiled it in water. Wasn't thickening at all. And it was green- is it supposed to be green?

Then after awhile, it was like the ground flaxseed soaked up all the water and I couldn't squeeze hardly any of it out of the stocking. I got about a Tbsp, so I mixed it with a little AVG and agave nectar and put it in the fridge. Is that even enough to try it out in the morning? Or maybe I should just wait till I get whole flax seeds. :dontknow:
    2b/2c Henndigo curls
    Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel :)
    Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

peacelove.jpg
  • namom3namom3 Posts: 40Registered Users
    You HAVE to use the whole seeds not the ground. I use the tea ball thing and simmer it for like 30 minutes then whisk in the aloe vera and EO's. Love it in a a spray bottle but you HAVE to section the hair and distribute it evenly
    No: heating tools, sulfates, cones, parabens
    Co-wash: Suave naturals (coconut and ocean breeze) Acct baking soda to clarify as needed
    DC: olive or almond oil with EO rosemary
    Style: Homemade flaxseed gel with aloe vera juice, epsom salt, and EO rosemary and lavender. Exploring various conditioners to use with the tightly curly method
    Want to try: adding different EO's to HFSG, growing out hair
    Always ISO: natural remedies for 3b curls!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    namom3 wrote: »
    Try adding it to a spray bottle and then adding it to your hair in sections (make sure you drench, comb the gel through and SCRUNCH!) Works like magic!

Do you add just the FSG to the spray bottle or do you dilute it first? This sounds like a great idea!

The last batch I made I added Lilly of the Desert aloe vera gel to it and it not only dried my hair out, but it made it tangle really badly.

A couple of deep treatments and my hair is almost back to normal...
    ~*~

Gels - HESMU

• dulcymhdulcymh Posts: 44Registered Users
    After much experimentation, the one thing that I have found makes all the difference in the world with making the texture more workable is for me to use the whisk attachment that came with my hand mixer to whip it all the ingredients (FSG, aloe vera juice/gel, EOs, honey, etc.) together. It breaks up the snottiness. Aloe vera gel does make it a little thicker coming out of the bottle, but it distributes through my hair just as well as when mixed with juice (and not as much dripping through my fingers)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dulcy:toothy7:
    3b fine - modified CG (SLS once a week, no non-water-soluble cones/no -xanes) since Aug 08

Fave Products -
    'Poo: NG or Organix 'poos
    Cond: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Tresemme Naturals Moisture/Volumizing, or Suave Naturals, depending on the day!
    Leave-in: NG Lavender & Aloe Cond. watered down in a spray bottle
    Styling: Giovanni Air Mousse, FOTE Aloe Vera gel mixed with BRHG...
  • elissadelissad Posts: 268Registered Users
    I'm having a lot of luck with adding pectin to the FSG when still warm. Normally I just add about 1/4-1/2 tsp after I have strained the gel from the seed. I use 1c water to 1/4c flax seed. Tried using xanthan gum but found that to be a bit drying on my hair. The bonus is that pectin can be found at any grocery store.
    mostly 3a/some 3b/2c at the nape
    med-coarse and porous
    Current routine:
    Cleansing: Co-wash with V05, JCCC
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: HESMU, Joiwhip
    Protein Treatment: Ion effective care treatment

elissad wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of luck with adding pectin to the FSG when still warm. Normally I just add about 1/4-1/2 tsp after I have strained the gel from the seed. I use 1c water to 1/4c flax seed. Tried using xanthan gum but found that to be a bit drying on my hair. The bonus is that pectin can be found at any grocery store.

You know, I was thinking of using pectin before I purchased xanthan gum but I read that the solution has to be acidic in order for the pectin to work? What is the consistency of your FSG after adding the pectin?

• elissadelissad Posts: 268Registered Users
    helloitsio wrote: »
    elissad wrote: »

You know, I was thinking of using pectin before I purchased xanthan gum but I read that the solution has to be acidic in order for the pectin to work? What is the consistency of your FSG after adding the pectin?

My gel does happen to be acidic because I add a pinch of citric acid and a couple drops of orange and lemon essential oils for fragrance. I have, however, made a gel out of water and pectin alone and it worked nicely.

It's kinda hard to describe, but I would say it's a bit like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], but thicker/stickier? I've just started to play with this last week so I'm still experimenting with the best amounts and times to dissolve the pectin.
    mostly 3a/some 3b/2c at the nape
    med-coarse and porous
    Current routine:
    Cleansing: Co-wash with V05, JCCC
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: HESMU, Joiwhip
    Protein Treatment: Ion effective care treatment

Ah, ok. Good to know. I don't use any EOs in my FSG - just some oil, citric acid and GSE (wonder if that would make it acidic enough?)

Ah, ok. Good to know. I don't use any EOs in my FSG - just some oil, citric acid and GSE (wonder if that would make it acidic enough?)

What kind of water do you use when you make yours? Tap, purified, distilled? If you use distilled water, you're starting at a neutral point on the pH scale, and it's very easy to adjust the pH - you wouldn't have to add much citric acid or GSE to make it pretty acidic. But it can be harder to adjust the pH of tap water, and if it's from a public water system, you may have a higher pH (more alkaline) to start with. I've found that my FSG comes out better with distilled water anyway, so that's what I've been using.

What kind of water do you use when you make yours? Tap, purified, distilled? If you use distilled water, you're starting at a neutral point on the pH scale, and it's very easy to adjust the pH - you wouldn't have to add much citric acid or GSE to make it pretty acidic. But it can be harder to adjust the pH of tap water, and if it's from a public water system, you may have a higher pH (more alkaline) to start with. I've found that my FSG comes out better with distilled water anyway, so that's what I've been using.

I use distilled water which does make the FSG come out better. I think I added about 1/8 tsp of citric acid and 48 drops of GSE to my last batch (20 oz or so)

I use distilled water which does make the FSG come out better. I think I added about 1/8 tsp of citric acid and 48 drops of GSE to my last batch (20 oz or so)

I have some pH test strips, so I think, just because I'm curious, next time I make FSG I'll test it before and after I add the citric acid. I typically add about 1 tsp of citric acid for 3-4 cups of FSG, along with a little vitamin E oil. I openly admit I'm a bit of a science nerd, and am curious to see what difference the citric acid might make. :glasses3:

I have some pH test strips, so I think, just because I'm curious, next time I make FSG I'll test it before and after I add the citric acid. I typically add about 1 tsp of citric acid for 3-4 cups of FSG, along with a little vitamin E oil. I openly admit I'm a bit of a science nerd, and am curious to see what difference the citric acid might make. :glasses3:

Oooo! Science nerd here too! I'll be interested to see where the pH ends up!

Oooo! Science nerd here too! I'll be interested to see where the pH ends up!

Ok, I FINALLY had to make some FSG! I was trying like mad to use up what I already had so I could do some pH testing!

So, here are my results.....

To start, I tested my distilled water. I assumed it would be 7, but I'm glad I tested it because my strips said it was 6.5. Not sure if that was the water or the fact that my strips are just home test strips, not some fancy lab test strips.

After I made the FSG, and before I added anything, it was between 6.25 and 6.50.

I ended up up with almost 4 cups of FSG, and to that added just under 1 tsp of citric acid. The pH was below 4.5...don't know the exact value, because that's as low as my strips go. They're meant to test blood or urine, and I think you'd be in bad shape if those pH's were that low!

I then added my agave nectar and AVG and some xanthan gum, and the pH was still below 4.5.

I split it up into a few different portions to try adding different oils to it, and in the batch I added Hemp Seed Oil to (which is my favorite so far), I also added a little slippery elm powder. I had read that can add some slip and maybe some gloss, so I decided to try it. I know it's also used an antacid, so I tested that pH as well. It was STILL below 4.5.

So, there you have it! I'll have to look around and see if I can get strips that go lower than 4.5 for not too much $. It would be interesting to see how low the pH actually gets! :occasion7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file