We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

frizz-free OR voluminous?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
i've found it very difficult to get good volume without a little bit of frizz. usually i scrunch/shake my hair around a lot, which gives me great volume even with airdrying, but i can't quite escape the extra frizz that comes with it (although even if i don't touch AT ALL, i still can't get rid of all the frizz).

so which would you prefer, frizz-free curls that are kind of flat, or great volume with a little halo of frizz?
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I voted great volume with some frizz. I can't stand having flat hair myself. :(
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,753Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm the opposite, can't stand frizz in any way, shape or form. Hate volume so this was a no contest for me. I'm even reasonably happy to put up with stringy curls so long as there's no frizz.
    3b in South Australia.
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I used to hate frizz but now I'm at a point where I would rather have volume, even if it means a little halo frizz. I try to get all the volume I can!! :D
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • CopperWavesCopperWaves Posts: 83Registered Users
    I don't like flat and stringy so I have to choose volume with some frizz.Funny you should ask this question because I am sitting here with no frizz,kind of flat hair right now. I made the mistake of combing curlkeeper through my hair yesterday...big mistake,not as much curl but no frizz! :(
    My hair is not the boss of me!!!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    volume! Absolutely!
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    I voted for volume, I often flip my head over & shake hair at the roots to get some volume back, I don't like my hair to be crunchy or look wet. Also I am terrible for playing with my hair.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    haha seems like i'm in the minority! although i guess by 'flat' i didn't think how 'flat'. i only opted for 'no frizz' cos i get so damned much of it, if i had the option not to i'd go for it! but now i think about it, i'd love volume with no frizz, is that an option? :wink:

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users
    Lots of volume w/ some frizz.

I don't think my hair is capable of being 100% frizz free unless it's soaking wet and sprayed with my favoriote 80's product, Stiff Stuff! And even then, I bet I would still get a little...:D
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    I'll definitely take the volume with some frizz. I want bounce! The bounce will make up for the frizz. Flat hair is depressing. :P
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • plinkplink Posts: 103Registered Users
    Volume with a little frizz for sure.
    With Volumax Gel I can get the volume with darn little (maybe no) frizz. Love the stuff.
    I have finally realized I look my best when my hair tells me how it is going to fall, and I just make suggestions.

3A BSL
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    plink wrote:
    With Volumax Gel I can get the volume with darn little (maybe no) frizz. Love the stuff.

what's Volumax gel? Who is it by? TIA :wink:
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    Volume with some frizz is better I think. I am not happy with flat hair myself.

• SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    I voted no frizz, my hair has so much volume all by itself, it can't get much bigger!! haha!! If I could get rid of the frizz, it'd be perfect!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    I voted frizz and volume. Living in a humid place, frizz in unavoidable. There are a lot of people here who wear their hair frizzy and it looks nice.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Frizz free and flat. My hair has insane volume as is, I'm sick of it. :P
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
    Kurlee wrote:
    Volume with some frizz is better I think. I am not happy with flat hair myself.

There you are!! Was wondering aobut you! :) *sorry for the hijack* :wink:
    curlie3 wrote:
    plink wrote:

You can buy it at Sally's, and it's pretty cheap at around 4-5 bucks for a big bottle. You can see it here, and if you do a search for it on the forum you will find at least a couple of threads about it. It was a little over a year ago when it was rather a hot item on the boards, so I tried it and had good results at first, but then it stopped working for me.
    lushaholic wrote:

I have been very sick this spring. Still not doing great. Got a nasty virus and then it looks like I am Gluten intolerant, so I haven't been doing much computer stuff (mostly been in bed) OR thinking about my hair at all.

(ETA: fixing the quote)

• shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i voted for frizz free, because i have so much hair that it will never ever be flat!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

Kurlee wrote:
    lushaholic wrote:

I have been very sick this spring. Still not doing great. Got a nasty virus and then it looks like I am Gluten intolerant, so I haven't been doing much computer stuff (mostly been in bed) OR thinking about my hair at all.

(ETA: fixing the quote)

Oh wow, I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time! :( In fact I almost sent you a pm yesterday to see if everything was ok. I hope you are able to get over it soon!!
    Thanks Lush. :)
    I guess the Gluten things can take some time to heal from. I have had problems for many years, so it will probably be a while to feel better.

• banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,023Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlie3 wrote:
    plink wrote:

you can get it at sallys . i love volumax too--it is one of my interchangeable gels along w angell and B&A etc. i don't mind frizz as long as i have curls too and not just an east west cotton candy look...(see my insane hair photos for an example of the above :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 585Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I voted for the volume. I can't stand having my hair plastered to my head. I love it all wild and with lots and lots of curls everywhere! 8)
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.

Used to be CG, now I'm not. Using Suave Aloe & Waterlily shampoo & condish, JoiWhip, BRHG, Suave Aloe gel, Aussie Tizz No Frizz, and anything else that looks good!
    My Myspace!
  • talltwinmomtalltwinmom Posts: 95Registered Users
    I voted volume with a bit o frizz also. For those of you with tons of hair, can you transplant a bit my way? I'll take any color :lol: BTW - one of my co-workers just came in (while I was sneaking here and posting) and said how nice my hair looked today. Nice and bouncy. Talk about timing!
    3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Definitely volume! Fighting flat-head is one of my biggest challenges. :lol: I really don't mind a bit of frizz, as long as my hair isn't a totally undefined poofball.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Posts: 123Registered Users
    If given the choice? I have to go with the volume and frizz. I've had both, and I look dumb with perfectly defined, flat curls. It makes my head look fat. LOL!
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lushaholic wrote:
    I voted great volume with some frizz. I can't stand having flat hair myself. :(

Ditto!!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I go for nice full curls without frizz, if possible, so the best of both worlds. For me, I can achieve this if I do not touch my hair while drying and I diffuse on cool for a few minutes at a time or sit under my hooded dryer set to cool. Hot air will give me frizz and so will completely air drying.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file