CurlTalk

I'm biting the bullet and doing the world's greatest shave!!

curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
hey everyone,

after alot of 'ummming and arghing' I'm biting the bullet and taking part in the Leukaemia Foundation World's Greatest Shave this year.

Take a look at my Profile Page by clicking this link: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.imisfriendraising.com.au%2FpersonalPage.aspx%3FSID%3D64624" class="Popup

If you'd like to support me (which would be greatly appreciated), you can make a secure online donation using your credit card.

- Every hour of every day, at least one person in Australia is diagnosed with leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma.
- Every two hours, someone loses their life to blood cancer.
Please help me raise as much as I can for the Leukaemia Foundation. Their vital work provides patients with practical support during their long and tough treatment, as well as funding important research.

Thanks for your support!

Amelia (a.k.a curlywurlygurly)
2 something Australian :toothy4:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlywurlygurly%2F" class="Popup
pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Wow, you're incredibly brave, I could never do it. Well done you!
    I'll sponsor you, though I'm afraid it won't be much - still on the ole frugal challenge, more's the pity. Hope you reach your target.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    thanks starmie, if it's going to stretch your budget don't stress about it, but even a few dollars will still make a difference in the long run (after all every dollar counts!).

I'm excited yet nervous, I've been contemplating for ages whether to do it. It's something I've ALWAYS wanted to do though, so I'm doing it!

I'll be sure to post some pics once I've shaved. *nervous laugh*

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlywurlygurly%2F" class="Popup

• LL Posts: 21Registered Users
    Oh wow, that solves the issue of searching for a curly hair friendly hairdresser!

Good luck with reaching your target!
  • AmdaAmda Posts: 251Registered Users
    Wow, major props to you! I'd never be brave enough to shave my head.
    I would donate if I actually had a credit card. They're remarkably hard to come by...when you're 16.
    Anyway, good luck!
    Fine and thin 2C in Australia
    haha amda yes well don't worry I don't own a credit card either.. just don't trust myself. I did get one of those mastercard debit cards ... never used it though I think they cancelled my account :( lol.

• littlestarletlittlestarlet Posts: 36Registered Users
    haha amda yes well don't worry I don't own a credit card either.. just don't trust myself. I did get one of those mastercard debit cards ... never used it though I think they cancelled my account :( lol.

i dont have a credit card either for that exact reason haha i wish i did have one now though so i could help out :disgust:

good on you for doing it!! my IT teacher when I was in year 10 (a few years ago now lol) participated in shave for a cure and we all looked up to her for it. I keep considering participating as well but i'm just not brave enough ... not yet anyway :afro:

good luck!!
    3b in australia
    thanks for all your support :D

oh btw i'm happy to send out samples to anyone.... as I won't be using my products for a while.

I have;

KCCC
    KCKT
    AO- honeysuck
    AO - white camellia
    AO- protein one, not sure on name?
    AG re:coil
    jessic curl too shea extra moisturizing conditioner

umm... I think that is all I have.
    PM me if your interested in trying anything :D
    It just seems a waste to have it just sitting in my bathroom.

Your hair will grow back you know and then you'll be needing your stash!

Have you done it yet? The date on the link said 12-14 March.
    3b in South Australia.
    haha I know it'll grow back starmie, I wasn't planning on giving it all away.. just thought people might like to try some??

yes yes I've done it, I have to upload my after photo.
    I'm loving my hair atm though,it's all fluffy and soft and it takes literally a few seconds to dry! it's a whole new experience.

Oh, you're so brave, I really couldn't do it, my hair would just be so hideous growing back in. And that's quite apart from the fact I've got a bumpy head and psoriasis! Not good. Looking forward to the pic.
    3b in South Australia.
    It looks cute! How are you coping with it being so different?
    3b in South Australia.
    Thanks starmie!
    I'm ok.. I forget every now and then as it feels as though I'm wearing it in a bun, weird huh?
    I'm enjoying playing with accessories, big earrings, headbands ( It's actually surprising the ones that usually fell off when I had all my hair stay on now!) and lots of hats and homemade beanies!
    The compliments are flowing in, it's insane! who knew! I still get a few unsure looks though...like yesterday in petra the two girls at the counter didn't know what to say, I had to laugh!

I think the fact that everyone is being so supportive makes it so much easier.
    My scalp is sore/ playing up atm due to stress (which is a usual occurrence), but at least I can really get at it at this length.My love of head massages has doubled!!

I think also the fact that it doesn't matter how hard I try it'll still look the same stops me from fussing.

I think it's already grown, in just over a week!

in generally I'm traveling fine :D (enough rambling for now.)

• oompa loompaoompa loompa Posts: 30Registered Users
    Curlywurlygurly

I checked out you picks and its awesome!

Maybe you should post the link to the donations site under General Discussions section - you might raise more money for a good cause that way!

Congrats!
    2a/2b (FIA 2a/2b F/M i), low porosity (except the ends)

So far liking Natural Soap Bars (Australian Organics / Moogoo) MOP Mixed Greens CO, Boots, Olive Oil DT on ends, KY when rainy/humid
    Unsure/Still Working on: AVC, Tweek, AG Re:Coil, CK (prefer KY), Honey (seems to lighten my hair?)

Need to try protein?

Aussie in working in Kazakhstan...:nike: Home is??

thanks.. I may just do that :D

• marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    I have a long time friend in the UK who did this. Great job to both of you!:hello1:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • maggie000maggie000 Posts: 28Registered Users
    I dont know if I'm too late but I would advise you not to shave your hair off. Its a great cause but my grandmother tells a story about how she had curls as a child and she got scarlet feaver and for some reason they thought it would be necessary to shave her hair off. When it grewback it was straight.
    This might be a one off thing beasue I have never herd of it happening anywhere else but I thought you might want to know.

Good luck if you do decide to shave your head! I hope you raise lots of money =]
    haha too late, only time will tell.

• rach427rach427 Posts: 27Registered Users
    Whoa congrats curlywurlygurly, good on you for doing that!
    I'm in NZ and not 18 yet so don't have a CC so can't donate, but would have if i did.

Oh and an off topic question - I see you live in Aus, where did you get your KCCC and KCKT products from?
    Great to hear that you're enjoying having it short. Did you get much of a response from the General Discussions section?
    rach427 wrote: »
    Oh and an off topic question - I see you live in Aus, where did you get your KCCC and KCKT products from?

i oreder it online from curlmart last year as an end of exams + tax money present to myself. unfortunately you can only get it online atm here, i couldn't even get it off amazon or anything... apparently they aren't allowed to send that kind of stuff internationally? weird? *shrugs*

Currently it's sitting in my bathroom collecting dust haha, but my hair is rapidly growing... so i might be back using it soon. lol.
    Amda wrote: »
    Great to hear that you're enjoying having it short. Did you get much of a response from the General Discussions section?

Thanks. The cold is getting me though, feels so weird feeling the wind on your scalp! but as I said above it's growing wildly.

My post on the general discussion board, got a few responses before being lost under the piles and piles of posts haha. oh well. :D

Oh thats weird about not being able to send it internationally. I think I'm just going to have to accept the shipping and go for it and get it off curlmart, it sounds so good!
    rach...

sorry it took me so long to reply.

Personally I think the shipping is worth it, because I LOVE the products... i tried to coincide my purchase with a sale on curlmart, makes it a little easier to justify.

word of warning, KCCC takes a while to get the hang of, but I LOVE(d) it!

oh and if you would like I could maybe send you some samples? (PM if your interested)

That is ok curlywurlygurly! I haven't replied quickly either... It's my birthday today so when curlmart has there next sale I might splurge I think.

Thanks for the offer of the samples, I might think about it and see how long it takes for the next curlmart sale! How much would shipping cost from australia? (if you know)
    my shipping was pretty expensive from memory, I made a large-ish order to make the shipping more worth it.

I do know that they have changed something to do with the shipping... so the cost may be better.

what you can do is sign in at curlmart put the things in your cart and it'll will give you the shipping. You may have to fill in a bit of info, but your things can stay in there awhile as far as I know, then when the next sale comes up you just have to proceed to check out. The discount will come off automatically.

• AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    Hey this is an older thread but I'm kinda contemplating doing the world's greatest shave next year, for fun! lol. Did you get your hair shaved bald or just short? I'm just thinking about experimenting with scarves and stuff on my head, that would look cool :D I'm just sick of the dead coloured ends ya know? lol it would be a good fresh start........idk
    xo
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

it's definitely something i would recommend for people to try - i found it very invigorating and boy did the compliments roll in (surprisingly). I didn't go umm.. Gillette smooth shave but about a '2' so i had a little fluff going on.

My only issue is growing out, i absolutely loved it super short; hassle free and super soft. Head bands (gossip girl inspired!) scarves, beanies etc were my best friends. Right now I'm in an awkward growing out stage, it's a long pixie cut (approx 10cm long if i hold it up) and my wave pattern is starting to emerge again, so it flicks and kinks in all sorts of odd places. Which I'm trying to hold off cutting but i hate it looking messy!

I've been cg or mod cg ever since. When it was shaved i would wash or co-wash my scalp once a week if that, however once it grew a little as I'm a restless sleeper i was co-washing or wetting at least daily to keep it neat. Now I'm getting back into being able to get away with second day hair - however i get the itchies after that.

I've attached both a before photo (straight and wavy) and a after photo.. well at least i tried too lol.

I think what really help me to decide (it was very last minute before i really went ahead) was the support i had from friends and family; especially my boyfriend - he actually shaved it off for me.

definately drop me a private message or whatever if you have any questions.

You girls are so brave, well done again on contributing to such a great cause. AlannahAngel, best of luck if you decide to go through with it!