CurlTalk

has anyone ever bought from a tortilleria?

There's one right up the street; do they sell tortillas only in bulk (like for restaurants)??? How are they usually sold? I've read that fresh tortillas are really good.

Comments

• journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    There's one right up the street; do they sell tortillas only in bulk (like for restaurants)??? How are they usually sold? I've read that fresh tortillas are really good.

i don't know, but i loooove fresh corn tortillas! let me know how it works out if you buy from them.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My worry is that I don't speak any Spanish. This place has their store hours and all the signs written in Spanish, and I just don't want to go in there looking and sounding like a fool. I'm just shy and self-conscious like that :sad:

But I really want to taste the difference!
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Fresh tortillas are about eleventy billion times better than the grocery store ones.

The tortilleria I go to sells tortillas 50 at a time. They're separated by a waxed paper square. When we get them home, we separate them from their waxed paper squares, put them in a freezer baggie and throw them in the freezer.

We take out what we need as we need them, and heat them on a comal on top the stove.

NO MORE PLASTIC-Y TORTILLAS!!!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Thank you for posting this question because I looked into how much tortillas cost from the local place here, and they are only $.82/doz., which is way cheaper than what the grocery store sells them.

And don't worry about the language barrier. I'm sure you'll be fine!
    Oh boy.....I can't wait to go in there now! I was worried because in this part of the city, if this place gets ANY non-Spanish-speaking customers, I'd be surprised. But I can't put it off any longer; I'll let you all know how it goes!
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Oh boy.....I can't wait to go in there now! I was worried because in this part of the city, if this place gets ANY non-Spanish-speaking customers, I'd be surprised. But I can't put it off any longer; I'll let you all know how it goes!

Pointing, smiling and laughing at yourself will help. :D And I'll bet they have some English, so you'll be able to get order your tortillas.

And THEN you will be in HEAVEN. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I GOT 'EM!!!!!!:cheers::blob2::glasses1:

I got a bag of about 50 for a little less than 2 bucks.....lordy they smell SO good. I can't wait till my crockpot of pinto beans is ready; is there any good Mexican cheese (preferably one that melts) than anyone suggests? Because I'm about to hit another Latin market later!
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I love queso fresco. You could put it in your beans, but I like to eat slices of it. It is soooo good! I love the stuff. Although we have a very large Mexican population in Anchorage, we don't have too many specialty shops. I get this cheese from the grocery store.

16.jpg

ps- You're making me hungry.
    Okay, so I decided to visit a very large Latino supermarket this evening to look for the cheese.

And....I.....found..............*must remain calm*

BLUE CORN TORTILLAS!!!!!!! I launched a massive search at Whole Foods and other places near my job a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't find them ANYWHERE. I've always wanted to try them.

Unfortunately the package was so huge and having just bought a big stack of regular ones (it's only 2 of us eating), I didn't want any to go to waste. But I know where to get them now.

I've found the "what have I been doing to my Mexican food all these years?" thread and favorited it; I don't really know how to cook anything beyond quesadillas or wrapping beans with cheese in tortillas, though. This particular store has foods from ALL of South America/islands, not just Mexico. It's a huge place.