CurlTalk

Spinoff: Favorite Regional Foods

BrewCrewGrlBrewCrewGrl Posts: 442Registered Users
In the North/South thread posters mentioned Fluff and Sweet tea. What are your favorite regional foods?

I am Midwestern, Wisconsin to be precise. Deep fried cheesecurds! I will admit that I have only lived in Wisconsin so maybe they have these elsewhere, but these are a staple of county fairs!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet tea, I try to make it, but it just isn't the same!
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FBrewCrewGrl%2F" class="Popup

The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be- Konrad Lorenz

Comments

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Well, I don't live there anymore, but in Pittsburgh it was chipped ham and perogies.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    Gumbo and cajun pistolettes!!!

Oh I love me some chipped ham, ruralcurls. My grandma lived in Rochester and I was hooked on it by the time I was 2.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I am Midwestern, from the Springfield, IL area. We are known for our horseshoes. Follow this link to see a picture of a pork tenderloin horseshoe from my favorite pub, D'Arcy's Pint, in Springfield. (Pork tenderloin is another regional favorite - we're from Illinois. We eat pigs.)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roadfood.com%2FReviews%2FOverview.aspx%3FRefID%3D4233" class="Popup
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Tex-Mex and BBQ. Only thing I couldn't get in NYC that I truly missed.

I'm also happy to be able to have Sonic and Whattaburger again.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
    And now that I'm back in Texas, I miss NYC pizza, bagels, and coffee.
  • Misses_JaiMisses_Jai Posts: 97Registered Users
    i'm in Cali (so cal) so i'd have to say the following..

Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles
    mexican, of course
    vietnamese - little saigon is down here....
    common sense is not common.....
    CG since Jan 2009.....
    No hair color since 2007..i've stopped fighting the greys....they always win....
    3a/some 2c
    clarify - ACV rinse
    co-wash - NGTT calming conditioner or suave naturals tropical coconut
    rinse-out - sally's GVP cond. balm
    dt - sally's GVP k-pak or lustrasilk
    leave in & styling - KCKT, KCCC, HESMU mousse
    styling loves - DIFFUSING!!! & plopping
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Sweet tea, grits, okra
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Blue Bell Ice Cream, Country Baskets at Dairy Queen, Fried Okra, Carne Guisada.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Slice of NYC pizza yummmmmmmmmmm
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Home:
    Sonoran Mexican food. Sonoran hot dogs. Steak. Indian fry bread, and various other foods made with locally grown spices and grains. Yum!

Elsewhere:
    Nothing compares to a NY bagel, or a bagel made by someone from NYC who really understands what they're supposed to be like! Maine lobster spoiled me for lobster anywhere else. And just fresh fish in general - living inland, I don't get fish straight off a boat! A nice SF cioppino is always great, too.
    I miss the Indian restaurant I used to go to in NH. And I miss the Thai restaurant I ate at frequently while in Ridgecrest, CA, for work.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    Well, I don't live there anymore, but in Pittsburgh it was chipped ham and perogies.

Mm, ditto that!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PartyHair wrote: »
    I am Midwestern, from the Springfield, IL area. We are known for our horseshoes. Follow this link to see a picture of a pork tenderloin horseshoe from my favorite pub, D'Arcy's Pint, in Springfield. (Pork tenderloin is another regional favorite - we're from Illinois. We eat pigs.)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roadfood.com%2FReviews%2FOverview.aspx%3FRefID%3D4233" class="Popup

I'm originally from the Peoria, IL area and I haven't had a horseshoe in years! Thanks for reminding me. Yum!

Now that I live in STL apparently toasted ravioli is an STL original, though I've had it elsewhere. (?) But I do LOOOOVE me some Imo's pizza.
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Philly cheesesteaks! You can get cheesesteaks outside of the Philly area, but they are mostly travesties. Ugh.

Nothing is better than a cheesesteak from Pat's or Jim's (never Geno's).
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    From NJ:

Pizza made by a guy named Tony or Nunzio, not from Pizza Hut.

In North Jersey, a "Sloppy Joe" is not ground beef in BBQ sauce on a bun. It's a deli sandwich with meat, cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing on 3 thin slices of rye bread. I can only eat a half.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmidnightsnack.wordpress.com%2Ficonic-sandwiches%2Fnew-jersey-sloppy-joe%2F" class="Popup

I don't care for it, but a classic NJ breakfast from a deli or coffee shop would be Taylor ham (pork roll), egg and cheese on a roll. Guaranteed artery-clogger. Taylor ham is only found in NJ to my knowledge.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3APork_roll_egg_cheese_sand_readytoeat.JPG" class="Popup
  • wanderlustwanderlust Posts: 650Registered Users
    I'm from the South but live in Kansas City now. In the South there are many things that I miss, fresh seafood being among those things. I loved fried okra and the gumbo as well.

In KC it's the barbeque and frozen custard. :icescream:
    Formerly ladyjag123
    Texas: I forgot Mrs. Baird's Bread

Cape Cod: Clam Chowder, I've had it elsewhere but nothing compares.
  • hotmustang46gthotmustang46gt Posts: 95Registered Users
    Fresh seafood, sweet tea, grits, and fried pickles.
    3b/3c very thick and porous mod-CG since 03/09

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    From NJ:

In North Jersey, a "Sloppy Joe" is not ground beef in BBQ sauce on a bun. It's a deli sandwich with meat, cheese, cole slaw and Russian dressing on 3 thin slices of rye bread. I can only eat a half.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmidnightsnack.wordpress.com%2Ficonic-sandwiches%2Fnew-jersey-sloppy-joe%2F" class="Popup

I don't care for it, but a classic NJ breakfast from a deli or coffee shop would be Taylor ham (pork roll), egg and cheese on a roll. Guaranteed artery-clogger. Taylor ham is only found in NJ to my knowledge.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3APork_roll_egg_cheese_sand_readytoeat.JPG" class="Popup

Aren't those sandwiches Ruebens?

My grandmother is from NJ....she used to bring us back pork rolls. So good!!!!! My dad would fry em up with saurkraut. Drool......

Ok...my faves, the seafood in Maine is KILLER (as mentioned by NetG, off the boat is best), whoopie pies, italians (kind of like a hoagy I guess, ham, cheese, pickles and your fave toppings with sandwich oil. mmmm) Frozen Custard (though I know they have this in the midwest too) and Cole Farms dressing. That is straight out of my hometown. And pretty much whatever my Nana makes. Low bush blueberries.....

Ok...there's a lot of good food in Maine/NE.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Pizza, definitely. Whenever I'm away for a while, it's the first thing I have to eat when I get home (which is kind of funny, because I don't even eat it very often!).

And bagels, of course.

From my college days in New Orleans, I really miss good gumbo and jambalaya.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    No, Sloppy Joes are not grilled, and they don't have sauerkraut in them. Not the same as a Reuben at all.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Ohhh...I don't like Ruebens anyway so I guess I was confusing the saurkraut with the cole slaw. Still sounds like a familiar sammich though.
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    I am Midwestern, Wisconsin to be precise. Deep fried cheesecurds! I will admit that I have only lived in Wisconsin so maybe they have these elsewhere, but these are a staple of county fairs!

I love, love, love deep fried cheese curds! They are so bad for you but I could eat them by the bucketload! No visit to any kind of festival is complete without having some. I don't live in Wisconsin anymore but everytime I visit I gain a bunch of weight catching up on eating all of the foods I love that I don't get anymore. Cheese curds are definitely one of them.

And I know someone said they love Imo's pizza. OH MY GOD! That was the biggest culture shock moving from WI to the St. Louis area. I can't believe people in St. Louis call that pizza. :evil:
    316vq4y.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    fried clams with bellies
    grilled or fried calamari
    crab and butternut squash chowder
    fish chowder
    Any sort of grilled fish

But I hate lobster in all its forms, except lobster bisque and maybe lazy lobster over pasta.

There's really good Brazilian food up here. Also Cuban.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    SuZenGuide wrote: »
    From NJ:

Sloppy Joe's aren't in bbq sauce... they're in Sloppy Joe sauce!

And it's funny, recently, on another messageboard I frequent, some people were alking about that breakfast w/Taylor ham. No one outside of Jersey had a clue what they were talking about. (I still don't really know what it is, lol.)
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,806Registered Users
    Philadelphia hoagies and mexican food and horchata from the taquerias in Tucson.

On a side note, I'm really not enjoying the hawaiian favorites. Poi? gag. Poke? yuk, I always expect it to tastes like ceviche and it so. does. not. I can stomach spam musubi if I'm having a stomach crisis. They're surprisingly effective for hangovers too. But palatable? Not so much.
    fried pickles.

I made these the other day on a whim. I had a bunch of leftover tempura batter, then rolled them in panko and fried.

I could have skipped all the other stuff and just eaten those. SO good.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    New England -

Fried whole belly clams. They have them elsewhere but our cold water makes them taste sooo much better.

Poutine - actually a canadian dish but so many people in this area have parents and grandparents from Canada you actually see it around here. And Pork Pies...I think are also a Canadian thing but you see it a lot here too.

Fluff!! New England Clam Chowder. Vermont Cheddar cheese. Lobster rolls. American Chop Suey.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    BrewCrewGirl, you beat me to it! I had deep fried cheese curds and local beer last night. Mmmmm!

Also, un-fried, fresh cheese curds are a Wisconsin thing, I think. When they're really fresh, they squeak when you bite into them. They're heavenly!
  • BrewCrewGrlBrewCrewGrl Posts: 442Registered Users
    BrewCrewGirl, you beat me to it! I had deep fried cheese curds and local beer last night. Mmmmm!

Also, un-fried, fresh cheese curds are a Wisconsin thing, I think. When they're really fresh, they squeak when you bite into them. They're heavenly!

Oh, I am jealous! I love local brews too! Point Beer is a local specialty, Schlitz is making a big comeback!

Squeaky cheesecurds are the best! I remember a class field trip was to the local cheese factory!

Beer, cheese and can't forget about Brats boiled in Beer!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FBrewCrewGrl%2F" class="Popup

The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be- Konrad Lorenz
    What's fluff?
    cyndi wrote: »
    What's fluff?

It's kind of like a marshmallow spread. Nasty stuff, if you ask me. :tongue6:
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls