Fitness Gurus - Is this a reasonable goal?

MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
Hi! My abs have always been a weak spot and I want to tone up that area for a firm, smooth look. If I work on my abs now (about 30 minutes a day) with Wii Fit and bellydancing would that be enough to get me in shape for May or June? I have a normal BMI if that helps. Thanks!
2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.

Comments

• E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    I recommend doing cardio that will get your heart rate up. Maybe you can run/jog outside, use a cardio DVD with an intensity that's high enough for you, or use an elliptical machine. Maybe you can do that 3 days a week for 30 min.

What's even more important is nutrition. Nutrition is 80 or 90%, exercise is 10 or 20%.
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I've been doing a lot of abdominal exercises and that has been helping. However, I have to agree with the cardio. I have upped the cardio and I am losing weight in the trouble places such as the hips, waist, and stomach.:hello1:
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies!

I am doing some cardio too when I get the chance (like DDR and jogging on Wii fit). I'm making sure I do some kind of ab exercise every day like torso twists, crunches, etc. I did 40 consecutive sit ups last night when only a couple months ago I could do 16.

I'm not really seeking to lose weight though. I just want to tone my body so it looks sleek, smooth and fit instead of soft and "lumpy" (I can't think of a better term).
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mint wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

I am doing some cardio too when I get the chance (like DDR and jogging on Wii fit). I'm making sure I do some kind of ab exercise every day like torso twists, crunches, etc. I did 40 consecutive sit ups last night when only a couple months ago I could do 16.

I'm not really seeking to lose weight though. I just want to tone my body so it looks sleek, smooth and fit instead of soft and "lumpy" (I can't think of a better term).

I highly recommend the Squeeze DVDs by Tracy Effinger, or Callanetics Evolution (a little boring but effective), or Total Body Lift by Kathy Smith. Check out the reviews for these on collagevideo.com. These types of exercises are exactly what you need IMO. Squeeze would be my first choice.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    E.B. wrote: »
    I recommend doing cardio that will get your heart rate up. Maybe you can run/jog outside, use a cardio DVD with an intensity that's high enough for you, or use an elliptical machine. Maybe you can do that 3 days a week for 30 min.

What's even more important is nutrition. Nutrition is 80 or 90%, exercise is 10 or 20%.
    Yeppers...you can have the tightest abs, but it's still under the lumps..lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• darcurldarcurl Posts: 586Registered Users
    def. i can help. i have slim toned abs.

get involved with a fitness community. the support will help you get involved. before you see change, you need to become dedicated. i think the first signs of change are the toughest ones to develop.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Add some heavy weight training in there and you can up those numbers to 70% diet and 30% exercise.

If you really want to tighten up, resistance (weight) is the only way. Things like pilates and yoga are just another form of resistance training. Cardio is good for fat loss and overall health, but it won't change the shape of your body.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
    riotkitty wrote: »

Add some heavy weight training in there and you can up those numbers to 70% diet and 30% exercise.

If you really want to tighten up, resistance (weight) is the only way. Things like pilates and yoga are just another form of resistance training. Cardio is good for fat loss and overall health, but it won't change the shape of your body.

Interesting! I haven't invested in a bunch of dumbbells but I enjoy yoga so that helps. Does weight training increase bulk?

Interesting! I haven't invested in a bunch of dumbbells but I enjoy yoga so that helps. Does weight training increase bulk?

For most women, absolutely not. For some women, yes, but only in the short term, usually due gain muscle faster than losing fat. Eventually the metabolism spike from gaining more muscle will help get the fat off. Those scary bodybuilding women you see are like that because of steroids and eating like 3000 calories a day.

We don't have the testosterone to get huge muscles like men even when lifting very heavy weight. I leg press about 200 pounds and fit into a size 4. I've seen women smaller than that lifting even more.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)

riotkitty wrote: »

For most women, absolutely not. For some women, yes, but only in the short term, usually due gain muscle faster than losing fat. Eventually the metabolism spike from gaining more muscle will help get the fat off. Those scary bodybuilding women you see are like that because of steroids and eating like 3000 calories a day.

We don't have the testosterone to get huge muscles like men even when lifting very heavy weight. I leg press about 200 pounds and fit into a size 4. I've seen women smaller than that lifting even more.

Phew! Thank you. I have an issue of Oxygen magazine (special Abs edition) from last spring that I've finally put to use and it showed lots of women with perfectly sculpted muscles. Totally not my style. It's awesome though because there are lots of people I can see as inspiration. Also, I learned great moves from the magazine like the side plank.

Is it necessary to invest in a big exercise ball? I don't have a gym membership either. Sorry about all the n00b questions. XD
    I will admit, I would soooo love to look like those women in Oxygen, and while I have some sculpting going on, I've been lifting heavy for 5-6 years and it hasn't happened.

The reason for that is that getting that kind of body takes work, dedication, a special diet, special scheduling and all kinds of other things most of us don't have or want to make the time for. Oxygen's tips and workouts alone won't do it. Its a great resource for introducing women to weights.

And no, you don't NEED a ball, but they do really help you work your core and you can use it like a bench when you do your weights which works the core even more.

Another good resource that worked for me when I couldn't get to the gym was workout DVD's. The Cathe Friedrich ones are the absolute best. Jari Love's Get Ripped series is good, too.
    Current products

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! :love2:
  • Hermoine™ Hermoine™ Banned Posts: 35Banned Users
    Hi! My abs have always been a weak spot and I want to tone up that area for a firm, smooth look. If I work on my abs now (about 30 minutes a day) with Wii Fit and bellydancing would that be enough to get me in shape for May or June? I have a normal BMI if that helps. Thanks!

These will all help define your abdominals
    Belly Dancing
    water filled or slightly weighted Hula/Hoola Hoop
    Cycling
    Swimming
    Yoga for abs
    Ab Chair
    Natural(Bio)Skin:Type I/Fair DrytoNormal;FRECKLES;NoAcne
    Natural(Bio)Hair: 1c3cd4atoz ComboHair DrytoNormal
    StillQueen ofThe Waifs DespiteThisFunky Tan (See CPD)
    Goddess Hair & Skin RecipeBook (Devotee)
    i-Shoppe™: OCF Health & Beauty Depot/i-Shoppe
    http://www.onlinecliniqueforum.forumotion.com
    :wav:
    Sweet! I love belly dancing and Wii Fit hula hoop/yoga. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file