CurlTalk

R2D2/Hard Hat Dryer Help I'm Having A PJ Attack!!!!!!!!

DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
SBS-301079?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0 THIS THING IS HAUNTING ME!!:evil: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sallybeauty.com%2FHard-Hat-hairdryer%2FSBS-301079%2Cdefault%2Cpd.html" class="Popup

I've always lived with a little Frizz, I just know my hair is prone to it so whatever. The other day when I got my hair done I didn't have any frizz. So I dutifully replicated my stylists products and method. MINUS the hooded dryer, of course results were not even close and I had my usual frizzy canopy!!!

I know I'm being an insane person, but we've dropped this kind of money on products in a heartbeat right??? What do I do?! HELP ME!
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    oh my god. If my boyfriend came over and I was sitting under one of those, I'd never hear the end of it. He's a good sport about the ridiculous bottles in the bathroom, and the hour it takes me to get ready to go out because of my hair... but that would be the end of it lol

Still, it's not expensive... $50 is like, two tubs of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]....

Go for it if you want it! (and let me know how it works out so I know if I need one... :P)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    That is small $!!! DO IT!

Cracks me up that it is called a hard hat.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    Soooo... I guess this isn't the thread to ask if you want me to ship you all the products that aren't working for me, huh? :iconbiggrin:

( :evil3: C'mon... you know you want 'em...)

Seriously though, I will tell you this much - my sister had one like that way back in the day. Now, the neck of the thing is adjustable, but you have to have the exact, perfect height table/desk/counter to begin with, because it'll only go up and down so far. Plus, I seem to remember hers toppling over every time she shifted.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    EVIL EVIL GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually thought I would have to do my hair when DH isn't home because he MOST certainly will call me an Insane person and have me committed!!!!

MUST HAVE THE HARD HAT!!!!! :blob:

you guys were supposed to talk me out of this!!!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • masa_innmasa_inn Posts: 306Registered Users
    How does one use it?? It seems too small to fit any head. Is it stretchable? :toothy8:

Go for it and report the results, please :blob8:

BTW - you can always return it if you don't like it, can't you?
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I did, dude! I edited my post! :laughing9:
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • masa_innmasa_inn Posts: 306Registered Users

Really? Sorry, I misunderstood you... /innocent eyes/
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
    I know curlymag got one and there have been others that have wanted to try it. Hasn't been a lot of buzz about these things I assume because it's do damn DORKY :laughing3: I hope I can return it, I will have to ask Sally's I don't see why I can't especially if I don't have the exact height and all that for it. OH GAWD more time to add to my routine??! I'll have to sit under it for a good 1/2 hour I would think????
    Discovered CG 2007

masa_inn wrote: »

Really? Sorry, I misunderstood you... /innocent eyes/
    Don't give me those BAMBI eyes Masa you guys are enjoying this....:laughing7:
    Discovered CG 2007

I am pretty sure SBB has one.

I would not have the patience for it nor do I have any more closets to hid it in. I know at the salon they sit me under theirs for 1/2 hour - at home I only diffuse about 10 minutes. Also, I actually prefer the volume I get from diffusing. You have much more hair than I so the volume thing is not an issue most likely.

ETA - it would be awesome if it came in different colors like an Ipod. Or you could swap out the top with a different color like some laptops do.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Yeah I'm always trying to down play the volume. I actually DO have a closet that most likely wouldn't be checked....He'll find out eventually though :laughing7: my little one will spill the beans or he'll just HAPPEN to go into that closet!
    Discovered CG 2007

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    Soooo... I guess this isn't the thread to ask if you want me to ship you all the products that aren't working for me, huh? :iconbiggrin:

( :evil3: C'mon... you know you want 'em...)

Seriously though, I will tell you this much - my sister had one like that way back in the day. Now, the neck of the thing is adjustable, but you have to have the exact, perfect height table/desk/counter to begin with, because it'll only go up and down so far. Plus, I seem to remember hers toppling over every time she shifted.

I've had one, not this particular one obviously, for 20 years or more, but I never use it because of everything LisaF1163 says - it can be very hard to find the right seat and surface for the dryer. It's just too much trouble, plus even once perfectly positioned, it gets the top good and dry but if your hair's more than collar length, it doesn't get the length at all - same as happens to me if they try to put me under one at the salon.

One salon I've gone to has a halo dryer that moves around your head without blowing your hair around. That or strategically placed infra-red lights works much better if hair has any length at all.

About the only thing they're really good for, IMHO, is clipping hair up so that it's inside the helmet and sitting under it for a bit for DT's or for hair color/henna/indigo absorption. I don't even get it out for that very often. It's easier just do put on a plastic cap and move the radiant heat hand dryer over it for a few minutes.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    When I'm a the Salon I lift my hair to get the bottom to dry but at Home I could still use my diffuser to get those spots ;)

What I HOPE to achieve is to dry the canopy quickly before it starts to FRIZZ. Air drying alone doesn't give me definition and diffusing is making me frizz low or high heat/speed doesn't matter.
    Discovered CG 2007

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Del - :nike:

If I could find ANY kind of hard bonnet hair dryers ANYWHERE in my area I would already own one. :laughing8:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    Del - :nike:

If I could find ANY kind of hard bonnet hair dryers ANYWHERE in my area I would already own one. :laughing8:
    That's IT I'm gonna go for it!! Now the next question is will I be able to RESIST not doing my hair again just so I can try it?! :laughing8: WHAT WOULD YOU DO? rudee if you see this I already KNOW what you would say so :p
    Discovered CG 2007

auntnett wrote: »
    I've had one, not this particular one obviously, for 20 years or more, but I never use it because of everything LisaF1163 says - it can be very hard to find the right seat and surface for the dryer. It's just too much trouble, plus even once perfectly positioned, it gets the top good and dry but if your hair's more than collar length, it doesn't get the length at all - same as happens to me if they try to put me under one at the salon.
    That's another reason I don't like them, and my hair isn't even that long - it's around "bottom of the neck" length, and bonnet dryers don't get it all dry at the ends. And yeah, you can't move once you're position, they're a real pain.
    One salon I've gone to has a halo dryer that moves around your head without blowing your hair around. That or strategically placed infra-red lights works much better if hair has any length at all.
    Those things are SO cool! I went to a salon once that had those. You're being circled all around with all this nice, even warmth. Too bad they don't have those for $50!
    Hair Type - 3A.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I would not have the patience - at home I only diffuse about 10 minutes. Also, I actually prefer the volume I get from diffusing.

I totally agree!! I wouldn't be able to stay under it long enough for it to do any good at all.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I found a real cool accessory for it DEL!!! It's a must if you decide to buy it!!

sign_danger-hard-hat-area4.jpg
    Central Massachusetts

:laughing3:

Del - you know I'm going to say re-do your hair. :laughing6:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

• wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users

oooooh, the halo dryers are WAY cool. If they ever create those for in-home use..... Rather than dorky, they look sorta space-age -- just consider it a functional lava lamp.

But I don't think Del is gonna wait that long... :toothy8:

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I say get it and redo your hair and then let me know how it works so I can buy one :evil2: Is that wrong? I have wanted one of these for months but I'm afraid of looking even more silly than I normally do ie clips, I wash my face with an oatmeal mixture that sits on my face for 5 min, plopping, my pink towel wrap. BF puts up with enough already but at the salon those dry my hair perfectly. They use it to dry the top and then tip it back and dump the long of my hair in it to dry the length. And it was because of you I ordered 3 things last week sooooo...can't wait to hear about it my fellow PJ!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

oooooh, the halo dryers are WAY cool. If they ever create those for in-home use..... Rather than dorky, they look sorta space-age -- just consider it a functional lava lamp.

But I don't think Del is gonna wait that long... :toothy8:
    HEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! No I couldn't wait that long!!!!

I'm contemplating doing my hair again, but it feels like too much work right this minute. I just got home and have a lot of groceries to put away.....I might get a sudden burst of energy though maybe I should down some Java!

So sorry it's my fault you had to buy more stuff Jess!! That evil PJ wins every time!!! :evil4:
    Discovered CG 2007

xcptnl wrote: »
    I found a real cool accessory for it DEL!!! It's a must if you decide to buy it!!

sign_danger-hard-hat-area4.jpg
    YER a NUT!
    Discovered CG 2007

ZERO frizz my dear curly friends and my volume is WAY WAY down!!! Just what I was hoping to achieve. It's not exactly like being done in the Salon but I think he may have used more product.

Now I know some of you say you don't have the patience for this but for ME I have less patience waiting an hour or more to air dry before diffusing & air drying alone doesn't look good for me in the Winter. Summer diff story of course, I don't mind air drying at all with minimal diffusing.

I can see this would be a bit of a pain for every day washers. I have to say though this particular dryer is not a problem for me. It even folds down for easy storage and I could turn my head side to side without it tipping over, it has plenty of room! It fits just fine on my Kitchen table if I want to read. Tonight I put it on my coffee table sat on a bean bag and watched a show for about 30mins, then diffused the bottom for about 5mins this was so much easier then what I've been doing. I will have to live with whatever 2nd day brings me cuz I don't see myself doing this every day. Will update tomorrow!

ETA: From Sally's Web site a little info on why an Ionic dryer is a must! My hair felt so soft and conditioned, no coarse feeling AT ALL.

What is Ionic Conditioning? Ionic conditioning makes a big difference in the way your hair looks and feels. Steady steams of negatively charged ions condition the hair as it dries. Ions make hair healthy looking by smoothing the shaft to reduce frizz.
    Discovered CG 2007

• SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I want one of these:

SBS-940831?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

Unfortunately, they're $350 and I'm unemployed. Anybody know of anybody hiring in Salt Lake? Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

So sorry it's my fault you had to buy more stuff Jess!! That evil PJ wins every time!!! :evil4:
    Do not be sorry because I am in LOVE with Mop C!!!:love10:
    And now I want the dryer...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

GET the dryer Jess you won't regret it! You might even get 2nd day hair if you pineapple!! I'm still very impressed with this new gadget. Last night I over did the Cocoa Hemp before Bed cuz I didn't realize how much higher the DEWS were gonna be, still it's presentable and I don't have the urge to re-wash. I've been out in the damp air and got rained on so I do have a little bit of frizz but for 2nd day hair I'll take it!

Those conditioning ions that seal the cuticle, it WORKS for sure! I wish I had gotten this earlier in the Winter it would have saved me an awful lot of TIME, aggravation and cursing my hair!! I contemplated it so many times, thanks for supporting my PJ'ism!!:laughing9: This was so worth it!!!! It's really simplified things for me!!! :blob8:
    Discovered CG 2007

I so wish I was near a Sally's!!!! :crybaby:

I just know I would love the dryer. Maybe when I go on my shopping trip. :)

Oh how I long for second day hair. My mom called me and asked if I would like to go to Whole Foods with her and I immediately answered no. When she asked why I told her I didn't want to do my hair. But I could've gone and spent 2 hours in the beauty isle if I had second day hair :angry8: Maybe the dryer is the answer...oooohhhh PJ attack coming on...must resist...till next paycheck at least, hehehe.

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    I have a dryer a lot like this Hard Hat, and I rarely use it, mostly because it requires setting it up, and finding a place to put it where I can sit comfortably under it (all the things that auntnett said). If it didn't cost so much to ship, whatsercurl, I'd ship mine to you! I used it once last year, when I had the flu and didn't have the strength to hold a blow dryer and diffuser over my head for 10 minutes. But I had to sit in such an uncomfortable spot (slouching, craning neck, etc.), it really wasn't worth the trouble.

But DEL2C, I'm glad it worked out for you! Sounds like you've got the ideal setup!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo