Agave Nectar

curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
I used this in place of honey to add hold to my Ohm Aloe Vera Gel and so far I like it. It's less crunch then honey and I'm hoping it won't make my hair turn red.

*posted in readers product reviews

Comments

• rdayers04rdayers04 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I got some of that last week to sweeten my plain yogurt to eat. I thought about using it for my hair too, lol. Now I will try it. Thanks!
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I loved it. It didn't dry as hard as honey but my curls sprung right up. I'm in love... only problem is that it more like water and runs right out of the bottle unlike honey, so it easy to use too much.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I loved it. It didn't dry as hard as honey but my curls sprung right up. I'm in love... only problem is that it more like water and runs right out of the bottle unlike honey, so it easy to use too much.

How about adding it to another product? I was thinking of putting it in my next batch of homemade FSG. Was waiting until our dewpoints got a little better.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Posts: 350Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »
    How about adding it to another product? I was thinking of putting it in my next batch of homemade FSG. Was waiting until our dewpoints got a little better.

Botticelli Babe made some FSG for me with agave in it. Works like a charm. Better hold than plain FSG, but feels just as good in my hair.:toothy8:
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I add a teaspoon to my FSG. Works beautifully and as previously mentioned not nearly as hard or crispy as honey.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    I mixed it with Ohm Aloe Vera Gel, the gel by itself is not enough hold so I thought I'd add Agave nectar just to see if it worked like honey.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I mixed it with Ohm Aloe Vera Gel, the gel by itself is not enough hold so I thought I'd add Agave nectar just to see if it worked like honey.
    What's your weather like? I wonder about Agave in low dews weather it would have the same effect as Honey? If it's lighter maybe it's not as bad? [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] has Agave and I haven't noticed the same "symptoms" of frizz etc. like I do with Honey?
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    It's pretty dry where I live. If it helps you at all we have a fire danger today b/c it's warm and pretty dry.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anyone here tried blackstrap molasses instead of honey in their hair? I heard its better than honey and doesn't lighten the hair like honey will over time.
    I remember trying raw agave nectar in my hair and I didn't notice anything different about my hair after I rinsed.
    I was looking for an alternative to honey because I am vegan.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • soulsalsasoulsalsa Posts: 119Registered Users
    Man I could rave about this stuff all day. I use it whenever I can on any food, drink, or just plain (u know when you get sore throats, lol). Recently tried it for a henna mix in place of honey since I'm slowly going the vegan route.

I haven't tried on my hair directly, so maybe I'll experiment with that too. But really this stuff is yummy not as heavy as honey tastes too if you get the light version. :love10:
    Hair Inspirations: My Lil Sis/MIKA/Vashtie Kola
    3b/3c::.thick::.porous::.med-normal texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Red Raspberry
    Condish: BellaCurl Condish
    Leave-in: BellaCurl Elixir
    Style: Giovanni LA Natural Gel or KMF UM Gel/BC Gellie/SS Emollience
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent
    Trying: Bella Curl
    Color: Jamila Henna

"...there is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness..."-Ghandi
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Has anyone here tried blackstrap molasses instead of honey in their hair? I heard its better than honey and doesn't lighten the hair like honey will over time.
    I remember trying raw agave nectar in my hair and I didn't notice anything different about my hair after I rinsed.
    I was looking for an alternative to honey because I am vegan.

I haven't personally tried molasses. But if you do a search a few people posted results from using it last summer.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file