Haruko Mirukami

jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Registered Users Posts: 708
'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle'

the best book i've read in a long time!

I'm an English Lit. Honours student in 3rd year at Uni, and therefore spend about 3/4 of my day reading - even if i enjoy the books i'm reading for my course, at the end of the day they're work.

so the wind-up bird chronicle was such a welcome relief as i could read it without worrying what to write my essay on after!

he's a japanese author and has many many other books out, the most well-known being 'kafka on the shore'.

anyone else read him? loved or hated?

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly

Comments

• disneylovedisneylove Registered Users Posts: 112
    you give a glowing recommendations but would you provide a few sentences on the general subject of the book. i may read it. tia!
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Registered Users Posts: 708
    firstly i'd have to admit its not your regular bedside table novel.

it's rather surreal and metaphysical - not that its hard to understand, but it has some strange goings-on such as 'prostitution of the mind'. but thats why i liked it - it wasn't your regular best-selling same-old same-old.

here's the backcover description:

'Toru Okada's cat has disappeared and this has unsettled his wife, who is herself growing more distant every day. Then there are the increasingly explicity telephone calls he has started receiving. As this compelling story unfolds, the tidy suburban realities of Okada's vague and blameless life - spent cooking, reading, listening to jazz and opera and drinking beer at the kitchen table - are turned inside out, and he embarks on a bizarre journey, guided (however obscurely) by a succession of characters, each with a tale to tell.'

i cant really say much more about it as i'll give the plot away. as i said i've only read this one book by him, and have been told by other fans that it isnt one of his best. its quite long and has a slightly confusing and unsatisfying ending (i found) so perhaps start off with 'kafka on the shore'?

i mainly liked his writing style. as i said, i study english lit. and as a result i have become somewhat a reading-snob (not that i'm proud!) it means i cant read badly written books, or best sellers. i tried 'the da vinci code' and it just drove me crazy it was so badly written! so i'm going to see the film instead as the plot still sounds intriguing :wink:

i hope that was at least a little bit helpful. perhaps just go into a book shop and find his books, and read the first chapter to see if it reels you in? thats what i did with 'the wind up bird chronicles' - read the first two pages and was definately hooked!

happy reading :lol:

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • disneylovedisneylove Registered Users Posts: 112
    thanks for the details. i will add this to my list. there are three books in front of it so i will problably get to this one in the next month or two. you are a literary student, so your referal is great.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • chappysmomchappysmom Registered Users Posts: 107
    I read a rave for this on somebody's blog a couple weeks ago, and picked up a copy for my vacation next week. (Good vacation reading is a MUST!) I'm looking forward to it!
    Deb in NJ; 3a, dark brown, longish, layered, fine, reasonably thick hair, pale skin

Proud mom of Chappy, a 10-year old Boykin Spaniel, also with chocolate brown, 3a curls

Chappysmom.com
    Punctuality Rules!
    Booking Through Thursday
  • wildsheepchasewildsheepchase Registered Users Posts: 161
    My name on various websites/email accounts comes from one of Murakami's earlier books, A Wild Sheep Chase. The sequel is Dance Dance Dance. : )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file