Protein sensitivities and Home made hair care?

rdayers04rdayers04 Posts: 8Registered Users
I have seen on here the avocado and banana DT recipe. My question is: Are natural proteins more tolerated than commercial ingredients? Is it just wheat proteins that can make hair dry and frizzy? What about protein in FSG?

I would appreciate some input on this because I think I may be having protein sensitivities to product and would like to switch to more natural stuff.

Comments

• canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
    I will give you my input...used an egg along with olive oil as a deep conditioner and it caused my hair to look worse than ever. I think it does not matter if you hair does not like proteins.
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
  • rdayers04rdayers04 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thank you for giving an answer. I used BAQ Henna and it relaxed my curls a bit. So I read up here and on the henna forums and found that a protein treatment will help to bring the curls back to like. It then cautioned about the drying effect so follow it with a DT of the avocado/banana variety. So, after I waited 3 days for the henna to settle in, I mixed egg and mayo together. What a mess, but my curls were back as they were and they were also very strawlike as predicted. After the DT, it was completely back to normal. So, as you have commented, Protein is definately Protein, no matter what the source.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    How do you know if you're protein sensitive or not? What does your hair do? Does it do something to your scalp?
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• JournalistJournalist Posts: 366Registered Users
    When I had a protein reaction, my hair became stiff and dry like straw, and tangled like nobody's business. :sad1:
    3a/b
    Protein sensitive
    med/low porosity/med texture
    Baking Soda/Vinegar rinses
    Suave Ocean Breeze
    HE TT Gel
    CG since April 12th '08! (No shampoo whatsoever!)
    Fotki
    I have more pictures up! :)
    Seattle for the Summer
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    Journalist wrote: »
    When I had a protein reaction, my hair became stiff and dry like straw, and tangled like nobody's business. :sad1:

Hmm...mine gets that way after using certain shampoos. Could it be the same reaction or do I just need more conditioner?
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file