CurlTalk

What kind of meds/supplements do you take?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
I take almost 10!

For ADHD:
Zinc
B6
Magnesium
Gingko Biloba
Wellbutrin

Depression:
Zoloft

Long QT:
Metoporol

IBS
Peppermint oil (not regularly)

Miscellaneous
Flax Seed oil

Did I post this thread already? I can't recall...Looks like my ADHD meds aren't working!
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I take birth control pills to control my severe cramps and frequent periods.

I can't take vitamin supplements, I get very nauseous.

I also drink milk with probiotics to control my mild colitis.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    Prenatals
    B6

I keep phasing the B6 in and out but plan to keep it in. It helps with my insomnia. I just have to figure out what a reasonable amount is.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Just a prenatal vitamin (because I'm breastfeeding, and might become pregnant)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    How weird, I was totally about to start a thread like this.

I have acne, and have for 15 years or so. In that time, I've tried various OTC treatments, mail order products and at least a dozen different prescriptions, all of which with more or less the same results: they work for a while (a couple of weeks, even a couple of months) and then not so much. Either the treatment stops working or my acne finds a way to exist despite the treatment.

Lately I've been looking into how to control my acne with diet and nutritional supplements. I started taking supplements two weeks ago as a beginning down this road, and plan on adding other recommended supplements down the line.

What I'm taking now:
    Vitamin A (10,000IU once a say)
    Vitamin E (400IU once a day)
    Vitamin C (I'm pretty sure this is 500mg once a day, I can't quite remember the mgs off the top of my head)
    Vitamin B5, aka Pantothenic acid (25mcg once a day-- I had a lot of trouble finding this in the health food store when I went, and bought the only one I could find. Come to find out this past weekend, when I was back at the health store for something else, they have about a billionty other pantothenic acid supplements that are a higher dosage than the one I have and much less expensive. I just couldn't find them.)
    Zinc (50mg once a day)

I also take 600mg of ibuprohin twice a day, since much of my acne in inflammatory.

I've only been doing this a couple of weeks so it's far too early to say whether it's having any significant impact or not.

There are other supplements I'm going to add in down the line, including Vitamin D, Omega 3s, biotin, evening primrose and folic acid. But I want to see how the current regimin works out first.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I drink kefir daily to keep my guts running better, but that's about it. I dont' take any sort of OTC or Rx medications or vitamins daily, just an occasional Advil or sometimes I take a couple valerian capsules to help relax me for sleep.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ugh. It's starting to get out of hand.

Ortho Lo once a day for PCOS/Birth control
    Glumetza three times a day for PCOS
    Folic Acid supplement once a day (to boost immune system a bit)
    Omega-3 supplement once a day (because I don't get nearly enough in my normal diet, unfortunately)
    Minocin twice a day for acne (just started)
    Spironolactone once a day for acne (just started)

Hopefully the acne meds are just for a little while, to help get things under control at a managable level. We'll see.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I take a multivitamin and a baby aspirin daily.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I used to take a ton of supplements but it was getting ridiculously out of hand and not really doing much, so I stopped.

Now I try to take cinnamon, chromium picolinate, and N-acetyl cysteine, but I am horrible about remembering. They're for PCOS management.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Multi-vitamin and Omega-3 capsules.

I don't usually take anything else, I used to take acidophilous every day, but I haven't been. I haven't noticed much of a change, either...but I do take them if my tummy is feeling upset.

I stopped taking my anti-anxiety/depression meds about 2 years ago. I am doing much better off of them than I was while I was on them.
    :rambo:
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »

I don't usually take anything else, I used to take acidophilous every day, but I haven't been. I haven't noticed much of a change, either...but I do take them if my tummy is feeling upset.

I stopped taking my anti-anxiety/depression meds about 2 years ago. I am doing much better off of them than I was while I was on them.

If you don't mind my asking, what dosage of acidophilous did you take? i've been considering adding this as well, but I'm having trouble pinning down appropriate dosage.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking, what dosage of acidophilous did you take? i've been considering adding this as well, but I'm having trouble pinning down appropriate dosage.

I would usually take just one Culturelle capsule a day.
    :rambo:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I take a MV, calcium with zinc and magnesium, 2 fish oil capsules, and glucosamine and chondroitin.

And I try to have a green smoothie with 2T of flax seed in it, but this is hard to do in the winter — it makes me cold!

If I don't take the fish oil, my mood is affected. If I don't take the calcium, my legs ache. My mom has osteopenia, so I'm actually glad that my legs ache if I'm not getting calcium. I make sure it's in my diet as well.

And I just started the G&C a couple weeks ago, but I am noticing less stiffness in my joints, and less creaking. :lol:
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    Multivitamin with calcium
    Omega-3 (cholesterol)
    Biotin (hair and nails)
    L-Lysine (cold sores)
    Glucosomine (arthritis)
    Black Cohosh (night sweats)

and the occasional Tylenol or Benedryl

DarkAngel: does the B6 really help with insomnia?

Pheonix: The supplements you take for ADHD are interesting, do you know where I might find some info on that? We recently had my daughter diagnosed as borderline. She already takes meds and B6 for Epilepsy, so I'd be interested in trying some supplements with her, rather than any more medication.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Bioidentical estrogen and progesterone
    B complex
    corral calcium
    Biotin
    Royal Jelly
    Flexamin for my joints
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,494Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    i take omega 3s because i'm allergic to fish. my doctor recommended B6 to help with the peripheral neuropathy in my hands. and i take calcium.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    Big believer in VITAMIN C! Keeps the doctors away :)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    KurlyKae wrote: »
    Omega-3 (cholesterol)
    Biotin (hair and nails)
    L-Lysine (cold sores)
    Glucosomine (arthritis)

Pheonix: The supplements you take for ADHD are interesting, do you know where I might find some info on that? We recently had my daughter diagnosed as borderline. She already takes meds and B6 for Epilepsy, so I'd be interested in trying some supplements with her, rather than any more medication.

I have a natural health book that I can scan pages from and email you. PM me your address.

My BF also has night sweats. Do you know what causes them? Maybe many things... Does the BC help?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • AjidahkAjidahk Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    I take
    Kelp (idodine)
    Apple Cider Vinegar (for acne, energy, essential vitamins and bathing)
    Blackstrap Molasses (for acne, energy, and bowel regularity)
    Hair Type: 4a with 3c sections...frizzy,wavy,bushy,curly
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    And I try to have a green smoothie with 2T of flax seed in it, but this is hard to do in the winter — it makes me cold!

I put 2 tbsp of ground flax seed meal in my oatmeal every morning.

What do you put in your green smoothies? Do you use a regular blender?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »

Omega-3 supplement once a day (because I don't get nearly enough in my normal diet, unfortunately)

Hopefully the acne meds are just for a little while, to help get things under control at a managable level. We'll see.

I was taking this for months and I loved it.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Interesting thread!

I don't take anything at all. I probably should since I'm breastfeeding and on a restrictive diet but I just can't be bothered. I just eat as well as I can.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    realistic wrote: »

Spironolactone gave me the sorest breasts. Ouch...
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    Prenatal vitamin (preparing for TTC)
    Omega 3
    I'm pretty consistent about the first two.
    I take these when I remember:
    Calcium and Vit D supplement
    Magnesium ( I read somewhere it helps prevent constipation from Calcium supplements, seems to be working)
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    realistic wrote: »

Spironolactone gave me the sorest breasts. Ouch...

Gonna have to keep an eye out for that, I think. lol, that might be a deal breaker (much like the Minocin or whatever might be a deal breaker for interfering with the BC...)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    I was curious to see if Speckla's faster hair growth regimen would work on me, so other than a daily multi-vitamin, I take 5mg of Biotin and 1000mg of MSM.

Then there's the occasional ibuprofen for my knee(s)/back/cramps.
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    What do you put in your green smoothies? Do you use a regular blender?

Yogurt or kefir, rice milk, frozen berries [strawberries work really well, to mask the grassy flavor], flax seed and for the greens: in the summer, whatever I have fresh that looks good; in the winter, I tend to go with chopped frozen spinach, because it's cheap and easy.

If I have a banana around, I throw that in too.

ETA: Yes, I use a regular Osterizer blender, but I'm thinking of asking for a more powerful one for my birthday, so I don't have to be so careful about using enough liquid. I wouldn't mind if it were regular milk with protein, but rice milk is really high in carbs and low in protein. I'm lactose intolerant and also try to avoid soy milk, so it's either rice milk or water. Or kefir [which is $$$].

I need to switch to oatmeal for the balance of winter, 'cause the smoothies ain't happening most days, with the chill they give me.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Omega-3 (cholesterol)
    Biotin (hair and nails)
    L-Lysine (cold sores)
    Glucosomine (arthritis)

I have a natural health book that I can scan pages from and email you. PM me your address.

My BF also has night sweats. Do you know what causes them? Maybe many things... Does the BC help?

That would be awesome, Phoenix, (sorry I spelled your name wrong earlier, I hate that!) I'll pm you in a minute.

My gyno tells me the nightsweats are a symptom of perimenopause. I actually just started on the BC last week, so no change yet. He said to give it a few weeks. If there is no change, we'll consider another treatment. I don't recall right now what they were though, another symptom of peri-m?!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
    Magoo wrote: »
    Magnesium ( I read somewhere it helps prevent constipation from Calcium supplements, seems to be working)

Yes, very important!
  • leenieleenie Posts: 194Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Magoo wrote: »

Yes, very important!

If you have problems sleeping, magnesium is very good. I recently found out that I was deficient in magnesium and noticed a difference in my sleeping patterns as soon as I started taking a supplement -- I'm much more rested, relaxed and calm. It sounds over the top, but it's really changed my life.
    "Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it" ~ Bill Cosby
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users

I think it does. It could be entirely psychosomatic but I initially was taking it for something else and started sleeping better. I assumed it was coincidence until I stopped taking the b6 and stopped sleeping again.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel