Best home hair color brand?

cinncurlscinncurls Posts: 2Registered Users
sorry if this has been posted before.

what do you ladies use to color your hair at home? some of them make the hair too soft, causing the curl to fall. some dry it out terribly, and some hair colors don't last more than a couple of weeks.

i am currently using Aveda haircoloring, but i think it's making the hair too soft.
in the past, i've used Feria because the colors are so glorious, but without deep-conditioning once a week, my hair was WAY too dry.
also, i found Herbal Essence too drying, as well.

comment please!

Comments

• kenshiakenshia Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have been coloring my curls for years, and I love garnier nutrisse. It does seem to loosen my curls a bit, but its not permanent. And my hair has never felt dry from using it. HTH!
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    There are quite a few boxed, at-home-kits that you can get at health food stores or Whole Foods. There's NaturTint, HerbaTint and NaturColor. You use them exactly as you do the boxed kits from the drugstore, but they're natural and don't have all the bad chemicals in them. I've been coloring my hair with NaturTint 2N (brownish black) for three years, and it's great stuff.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • cara4artcara4art Posts: 34Registered Users
    "There are quite a few boxed, at-home-kits that you can get at health food stores or Whole Foods. There's NaturTint, HerbaTint and NaturColor. You use them exactly as you do the boxed kits from the drugstore, but they're natural and don't have all the bad chemicals in them."

Not necessarily! I was reading somewhere awhile back that the healthfood store haircolor kits are not necessarily any less chemical-laden than the drugstore stuff. Different chemicals to be sure, but chemicals all the same. The only really natural hair coloring agent is henna, and that is a very YMMV thing. For some people it's great, others not so much for whatever reason. To really alter haircolor, like even lightening by one shade and adding a different tone to it, it DOES take some degree of chemistry.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I actually hated Garnier Nutrisse (it is a permanent color, btw)- it was pretty high up there on the damage scale for me.

I've used both HerbaTint and NaturColor, I thought they were both pretty good. Lately I've been using Natural Instincts, which I'm really happy with.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    cara4art wrote: »
    Not necessarily! I was reading somewhere awhile back that the healthfood store haircolor kits are not necessarily any less chemical-laden than the drugstore stuff. Different chemicals to be sure, but chemicals all the same.
    Less harmful stuff, to be clear. Not organic, no, but certainly not likely to fry your hair like the basic drugstore brands.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Color By Robert Craig http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=haircolor
    is a gentle haircolor without harsh peroxide or ammonia. :) It does not lift color, so you can't go lighter, but it also does not cause brassiness.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • cinnacurlscinnacurls Posts: 3Registered Users
    thanks everyone for all the good input.
  • Happy adminHappy admin Posts: 2Registered Users
    I have used Lorel' hair color for years on my hair. I love it, it makes my hair fell like it has more body and it helps it to do what I want it to. My hair feels like it have more volumn to it and it is more bouncy.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    I normally use Feria, because I like the color selection. Garnier did nothing for me except add faint highlights, pretty much visible in sunlight only. I used to use Herbal Essences, but I'm not sure if they changed the formula or what because it seemed to stop working. I also really liked Hydrience but the colors I used are hard to find, you can only find them online. I guess red hair is just not "in style" anymore since it keeps getting harder to find! Also, the Perfect 10 haircolor is pretty good. It works, and my hair didn't seem dry at all afterwards. I only wish they carried more vibrant shades.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

Also, the Perfect 10 haircolor is pretty good. It works, and my hair didn't seem dry at all afterwards. I only wish they carried more vibrant shades.
    Be very very careful of home hair coloring kits that claim to color your hair in only a few minutes. Basically, many home hair color kits are going to be very harsh on your hair, because they know you're not a professional, and that you only have one shot to do this right. So they make the instructions easy, but very often the kits themselves pretty much bake the color onto your hair so that you don't screw it up. I read this a few years ago in Allure magazine, and specifically at that time, they were mentioning the new haircolor that Revlon had just come out with back then, which was also a 10 minute haircolor. I remember the article saying, "If something can color your hair in 10 minutes, you have to know that it's probably acting like rocket-fuel on your hair."
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Just wanted to report back that this morning, I colored my hair with my NaturTint for the second time since going CG back in January. Since my hair has been healthier, the color came out just as well as it always does, but it's even softer! This stuff has never damaged my hair in the three years I've been using it, but before I went CG, there was always this little bit of first or second day "stiffness" till my hair calmed down. Today, it was just all silky and soft right off the bat. I am VERY excited about this! :blob7:
    Hair Type - 3A.
  • CurliTressesCurliTresses Posts: 119Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    Just wanted to report back that this morning, I colored my hair with my NaturTint for the second time since going CG back in January. Since my hair has been healthier, the color came out just as well as it always does, but it's even softer! This stuff has never damaged my hair in the three years I've been using it, but before I went CG, there was always this little bit of first or second day "stiffness" till my hair calmed down. Today, it was just all silky and soft right off the bat. I am VERY excited about this! :blob7:

Thanks for your comments & reviews on this. I think I will give this a try.
    HairType: multi-texture 3a/b/c
  • cinnacurlscinnacurls Posts: 3Registered Users
    you've all be very helpful. i think i'm going to try NaturTint and hope my hair doesn't get too soft like it tends to when I use Aveda.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does the Naturtint mix well, i.e., has anyone blended two shades together? And how many uses do you get per box?

TIA
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    Also, the Perfect 10 haircolor is pretty good. It works, and my hair didn't seem dry at all afterwards. I only wish they carried more vibrant shades.
    Be very very careful of home hair coloring kits that claim to color your hair in only a few minutes. Basically, many home hair color kits are going to be very harsh on your hair, because they know you're not a professional, and that you only have one shot to do this right. So they make the instructions easy, but very often the kits themselves pretty much bake the color onto your hair so that you don't screw it up. I read this a few years ago in Allure magazine, and specifically at that time, they were mentioning the new haircolor that Revlon had just come out with back then, which was also a 10 minute haircolor. I remember the article saying, "If something can color your hair in 10 minutes, you have to know that it's probably acting like rocket-fuel on your hair."

Interesting...I believe I remember that Revlon color, I remember it was discontinued after not so long. I used it once and it really didn't do anything though. The Perfect 10 really did give me good color and my hair felt great afterwards, the only reason i didn't stuck with it is because they don't have a bright red shade. It's my opinion that all permanent color damages hair to some extent though.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• viklaneviklane Posts: 54Registered Users
    Despite the fact that I know a number of people take issue with the fact that Lush is not 100% natural, I have never, ever received as many compliments on my hair color as when I was using Caca Rouge Mama:

http://www.lush.ca/shop/products/hair/henna-hair-dyes/caca-rouge-mama

Sometimes I would put red wine instead of water in the mix, if I wanted a darker look.

My biggest complaint is that it can't be bleached out, but now that I stopped using it, I can't remember why I wanted to change in the first place.

I'm going to try to get a block of it tomorrow, first thing.
    Hair Type: 3a
    COs
    : Suave Naturals Green Apple. Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine.

event.png
  • victoriamandavictoriamanda Posts: 53Registered Users
    I have used this stuff for years and bought a box today. I have to return it though since I am going Cone-free tomorrow. Also the conditioning treatment's second ingredient is amodimethicone which I figured it did. I guess I am going to have to find something new. :(
    Vicki - I think I am starting to understand!!! woohoo!!!

Devacare no poo, Once Condish. Rinse upside down cold water.
    KCNT, KCCC, John Freda Spiral Style Curl Defining Spray Gel, DEVAfuser
    Hair Dye: Naturetint 4N Natural Chestnut:headbang:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file