Henna Curl Loss Solution -- Metalex

riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have fine hair and while I love the color I get from henna and indigo, it always makes my curls loosen and freak out.
In the past I had some luck with removing some of the residue with oil, followed by a shampoo with baking soda and then an ACV or lemon rinse. I tried that again and it helped some but my curls were still too loose.

I read some account on hennaforhair.com that Metalex by Clairol restored someones curl by removing some of the henna residue. I figured it couldn't hurt so I bought some at Sally's last weekend. I put it on dry hair, wrapped in plastic and waited 30 min. Then I washed it out, did a ACV rinse. My curl pattern was much more uniform but not 100%. Still I was impressed, and the best part is the color remained. This weekend I decided to give it another go with more heat. I put some on and went to sauna at my gym. Stayed in there for 10-15 min, and left the Metalex stay on another 10-15. Washed out with my standard low-poo (California Baby), did an ACV rinse, and conditioned as normal. My curls look even tighter now and are pretty much the texture before henna. I might do one more treatment next weekend just to see if I can get a little extra curl. The color is still the same, so if you are actually looking to lift the color too, it doesn't work for that. But it must remove something because my hair is curly again, and seems much lighter in weight.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Comments

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the tip. I am hoping regular protein treatments again will help me. If not, I will try Metalex.....it really didn't lift your indigo?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I will warn you right away that for me protein made things worse, not better. Its like adding on to the henna coating.

My indigo had some fading, but its still darker than it would be with henna alone. The last time I did the Metalex, I didn't see any color come out. The first time I saw a little bit in the rinse water.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)

• lacunaCoilslacunaCoils Posts: 489Registered Users
    I would like to get some of the curl back after my henndigo, but the Metalex sounds a little scary- sulfated castor oil? Sounds like it might be a hair disaster for me. Did it make your hair oily or dry it out? I wonder how often you would have to use the Metalex and if it would eventually remove the color? Keep us updated...
    2b/2c Henndigo curls
    Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel :)
    Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

peacelove.jpg
  • CurlyLoloCurlyLolo Posts: 81Registered Users
    Everything I have read say that Amla either added to the henna (in place of lemon juice since it is acidic) or used on its own will help restore your curl pattern

htht:afro:
    Curly? Why yes, yes I Am:jocolor:
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyLolo wrote: »
    Everything I have read say that Amla either added to the henna (in place of lemon juice since it is acidic) or used on its own will help restore your curl pattern

htht:afro:

It helped a little when I used it in my henna mix, but it not restore my curl for very long, and it added to the henna build-up that was causing my curl to loosen.

Metalex has been the only thing that worked, and no, it did not dry out my hair nor do any damage to it. Like I said, it didn't even lift the color, it just got rid of some of the heavy henna coating. I only did two treatments a week apart, both with heat. That was all I needed to restore my curl.
    Current products

• LeeMayhemLeeMayhem Posts: 98Registered Users
    just mix equal amouts of amla powder to your henna to preserve your curl pattern, you can also apply amla powder to your hair to help it get the curl back. The 1st time i henned,i mixed amla powder in my henn and i lost no curl pattern, the 2nd i did not mix in henna and i noticed my curls loosened up a bit.
    3c Hair
    Wash:Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
    Condition/Leave In:Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler:Kinky Curly Custard
    Moisture/Shine:Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    Deep Treatment:Kinky Curly Midnight Miracle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file