Okay to dye after cowash?

necromanticizenecromanticize Posts: 21Registered Users
I know it's typically a bad idea to dye your hair within 24 hours of shampooing, but I wasn't sure about cowash, since it's less harsh on your hair and scalp.

I cowashed about 7-8 hours ago and my dye is fading and I would really like to dye again.

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I did this the last time I colored my hair. I used a new dye so I'm not sure exactly how it may have affected it, if at all. :dontknow: But either way, I was happy with the results.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    I did mine in the morning, before I would have showered and co-washed (and that particular day would have been a co-wash day for me). No problems, great results and no issues with my hair. As long as your hair isn't really heavily loaded down with product, most home coloring kits tell you to apply the color on dry, unwashed hair. The oils help protect your scalp from the dye.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Any time you get your hair wet, many things happen. Part of the reason for not applying color within 24 hours after shampooing is to give your hair time to stabilize. Just plain old water - with minerals and such in it, can change the pH of your hair and it takes time to recover from that so that the color and bond properly to your hair.

Some of you gals using darker shades (browns and blacks) probably won't notice a difference unless you get a lot of fading before it's time for your next color treatment. Those of us who are blond or red, well, now that's another story.

If you want to be sure that your color stays vibrant and true for as long as possible, you shouldn't even get your hair wet for 24 hours before coloring.
    Morrighu, are you a professional colorist? You've been giving great advice in this forum, I've noticed! :thumbright:
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    Morrighu, are you a professional colorist? You've been giving great advice in this forum, I've noticed! :thumbright:

I'm not licensed but I would venture to say that I know as much about color as most "in the business". My great-aunt has run a salon since she was 19. She's in her 90's now. I used to work with her in the summers when I was a kid. I started as a small child when I was literally the shampoo girl and sweeper of hair. As I got older, she pulled me more and more into other operations in the salon. Rolling up hair, mixing color, mixing perms, etc. All the stuff that the stylists were either too busy or didn't want to do. But I learned a LOT too.
    Yeah, you have a bunch of info!:happy7:
    Hair Type - 3A.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file