CurlTalk

haircut price going up....should I try new hairdresser?

I really like my hairdresser. I've been going to her for about 3 years and before that I went through at least two hairdressers who couldn't layer my hair right. I had the thin layer hanging down the bottom. The first two and a half hears I went to this one I was having her do highlights and cut. I don't even know what the cut was costing (total was approx $200). But she moved to another salon and the price keeps going up.
Now the last six months I've been just having her do cuts. I admit I have a hard time keeping track of price but I know last time or the time before it was around $63. Yesterday it was $73. When I asked the receptionist if it went up she told me my hairdresser actually gets $83 but she's kept my price at $73. That just tells met it's a matter of time before I am charged $83.
I'm probably going to stick with her. But here is my dilemma. There is a cute shop nearer my home that would cut my hair for $45. They say one of the girls is really good with curly hair. It would be more convenient and now we're talking a substantial price difference.
I only go every 3 months and it's not that I can't afford the $83....just seems like a lot. I know a lot the curly hair experts would charge more than that.
Opinions?
Thanks

Comments

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    It's a gamble. I just did this myself to save a few bucks and I can't tell you HOW disappointed I was, just miserable for 6weeks waiting for it to "take shape" I even snipped a few pcs. here and there to try and make it WORK. If you gave this new shop a try I would literally show them how much to cut just a teeny bit in case you have to go running back to your old stylist. Bring pictures of YOUR own hair to show her and have a consultation first to "feel them out". Nothing worse than a stylist who doesn't LISTEN.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Can you go to the stylist who charges $45 just for a consultation? I think it would be worth whatever consultation fee they charge. That's what I did with my current stylist and after talking to her, my gut told me it was worth taking the risk and trying her out. Turned out to be a good decision.

OTOH, if it was me and I loved who I was currently going to and could afford it, I'd stick with that one. It's not easy finding a stylist who's good with curly hair.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    I know you're right Msgiblet. I should stick to the hairdresser I have. I get tons of compliments on my hair. I just don't understand why it's so hard to get someone to cut LONG layers. But since she's doing what I want and I only have to go 4 times a year, I guess I should just swallow hard and pay.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    It's a gamble. I just did this myself to save a few bucks and I can't tell you HOW disappointed I was, just miserable for 6weeks waiting for it to "take shape" I even snipped a few pcs. here and there to try and make it WORK. If you gave this new shop a try I would literally show them how much to cut just a teeny bit in case you have to go running back to your old stylist. Bring pictures of YOUR own hair to show her and have a consultation first to "feel them out". Nothing worse than a stylist who doesn't LISTEN.
    That's scary. I once had a hairdresser who was not new to me do a different cut on me. I hated it and it seemed to take forever to grow out. It was the triangular thing. I sympathize with you. Hope yours grows back soon.
    msgiblet wrote: »
    Can you go to the stylist who charges $45 just for a consultation? I think it would be worth whatever consultation fee they charge. That's what I did with my current stylist and after talking to her, my gut told me it was worth taking the risk and trying her out. Turned out to be a good decision.

OTOH, if it was me and I loved who I was currently going to and could afford it, I'd stick with that one. It's not easy finding a stylist who's good with curly hair.
    I'm sure I could get a free consult from the local salon. Maybe I'll keep their card and go there for a consult if it comes to a point where my current stylist leaves town or I truly cannot afford her. For now, I guess I should play it safe with my biggest asset.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Actually I just had it cut yesterday by the experienced stylist and I was more than happy to pay extra. He fixed it and it reinforced why I should NEVER STRAY again :laughing7: lucky for me my last cut was left too long and that's why I was having so many issues. I usually only go 3-4 times a year myself like you do. ITA-don't understand why it's so hard to cut long layers but IT IS there's a trick to it for sure to avoid too much bulk and the dreaded Triangle!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I've had good luck and bad in similar scenarios. It's a risk, but the consultation with the new stylist should tell you a lot.
    However, if you really can afford it, is it worth the possibility of living with a potentially bad cut?

Also, how well is the new stylist's hair handled? Does she have curls? How do they look? I wasted time and energy a few weeks ago when I attempted to try a new salon at which every single stylist flat-ironed.

On the other hand, the stylist I did well with (at another salon) also flat-irons, but her sister and mother wear their hair curly, so she had experience.

It's a risk, sdkitty.
    Thanks for all of your kind replies. BTW how much do you pay for a cut? Do you think $73-83 is high? I know this varies by region but I'm curious. I would think NY and LA would be highest. I'm in San Diego which should be less but not as inexpensive as some smaller cities.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I drive an hour to see my stylist. I've gone to him for almost 30 years--and follow him whereever he is. Don't be sure that your price will go up--my stylist charges people different prices. He gets $90 for a cut these days. There was an article in the Philly paper in the last year or two about some of the "it" stylists getting $200-250!

If you get compliments, people ask you for your stylist's name and you can afford it--why would you think of changing? Your hair is something you "wear" everyday--isn't it worth it to look great?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I only get my hair cut 2x a year, so price going up $10-20 would not be an issue -- if the stylist has mad cutting skills.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    The Deva stylist I went to is $62, though I met another one (Deva trained) who charges around $80. These prices are for just outside of Cleveland, Ohio.

The new stylist I tried is about $40-ish.