I horrified the clerks at a Beauty Supply store

BethVBethV Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16
I went in to get some clips for my pincurls and asked about silicone free conditioners.

One of the clerks, a curly under cover, said that if I used a good clarifying shampoo, I wouldn't have to worry about silicones, they would be "clensed" from my hair. She bustled off before I could reply and returned with this clarifying shampoo and "straightening" serum. She recommended the serum because she could see that my hair was totally out of control and that this serum would "define" and "tone down" my curls.

When I asked her if she had ever heard of "Curly Girl" or the no shampoo method of caring for curls, she said "Nooooo..." I told her that I am shampoo free and my hair was beginning to heal from the years of harsh, drying shampooing and other things I did to try to "control" my hair and that I was just going to let the curls do as they pleased.

She was horrified and called the other clerk over to ask her if she had ever heard of it. They both recommended against it, said that my scalp would become diseased if I didn't use shampoo to clean it of the bacteria. I said I knew of people who had gone more than a year without using shampoo and that they had healthier hair and scalps than most others.

They were not convinced and as I was leaving with my clips, the clerk told me that in a week or so, when I started getting fungal infections of my scalp, she could recommend a good antifungal agent to help.

:x

I think as my hair improves I'll find a reason to go in there every month just so I can let them know that I'm still shampoo free.
Shampoo free since the beginning of April, 2006

Comments

• SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    wow! First off the clerks behavior there at the end was very rude IMHO. I would just chalk this up to someone who doesn't have a clue, and is just un-educated in the "no poo" world!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beaglecookiebeaglecookie Registered Users Posts: 150
    I can't believe she made such a rude remark. I'd take my business elsewhere. I would've also told her where she could put the antifungal agent :shock:
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I would've also told her where she could put the antifungal agent :shock:

haha.

Why argue with uninformed people? Just get your clips and be gone. :wink:

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Fungal infections? Bacteria? These people think basic shampoo is antiseptic or something? Doesn't sound like they know anything about the products they sell...
  • BethVBethV Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16
    Why argue with uninformed people? Just get your clips and be gone. :wink:

That's why I figured I'd go back in a month or so to pick up something else and let them see my hair then. I haven't poo'd since last Friday and my hair is already better.
    BethV, If she was there alone she wouldn't of made that comment to you. She just wanted her helper to think she knows it all. She'd probably even question you more about it.
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    BethV wrote:
    I think as my hair improves I'll find a reason to go in there every month just so I can let them know that I'm still shampoo free.

Kudos! I think I would do the same thing. :D Good for you!!
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • the doctorthe doctor Registered Users Posts: 393
    :lol: The beauty supply stores are notorious for hiring expert-wannabes...as to no-poo, it's not something I can do with ironed hair, but I only shampoo once every 10 days or so, and my hair's just fine for it...I think they only stick that 'use daily' label on the bottle so you'll use up the bottle faster and have to buy more! It's partly why I stopped wearing my hair so long - it took half a bottle of conditioner a week to keep it manageable...:x
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
  • betweenshadesbetweenshades Registered Users Posts: 130
    BethV wrote:
    They were not convinced and as I was leaving with my clips, the clerk told me that in a week or so, when I started getting fungal infections of my scalp, she could recommend a good antifungal agent to help.

Please tell me you're in Baltimore so I can go that store and give them a dose of reality. :lol:

How rude can one possibly be? Seriously?? I would have been INVENTING words to say to her if she said that to me.

I've been shampoo-free for 6 months now, and have yet to have my scalp fall off from infection. :P

If she thinks that by not shampooing you're going to get gangrene and die, then she's totally dillusional and paranoid.

Dumb b***h.
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Registered Users Posts: 529
    nm
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • pietripietri Registered Users Posts: 5
    Wow - I wonder how humankind survived until shampoo was invented? ;)
    2c/3a curls, growing out to at least 30 inches - right now they're about 6.5 inches...
  • Suzi-QSuzi-Q Registered Users Posts: 20
    pietri wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing! I've yet to suffer from rotting scalp and infections after years of no poo...puh-lease! :D
    3A/B; mid-back length when dry; brownish-reddish (color-treated)
    CG since June 2002
    My Photo Album
    MySpace
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm convinced the sales people at Sally's are clueless when it comes to anything! Several months ago, I was looking at a diffuser that I eventually bought, but couldn't get it to fit on any of the hair dryers that I was wanting to buy. One girl tried to help me and ended up doing her best NOT to help me. I went ahead and bought both and let my husband smash the diffuser on the dryer and it works fine :lol: .

The other Sally's I go to has one sales girl in particular that has so much metal sticking out of her face I can't believe she doesn't get radio reception just standing at the register :shock: . She is nice, I have to say, though.

I've learned to politely turn down their help since I know what I'm looking for anyway when I go in there.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    DP
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Kudos to you for having the restraint to not totally make them feel like the incompetent arses they were acting like. I can't say I would have had that kind of restraint. LOL

I was CG for 6 months and had no problems with my scalp. I was going back and forth for a while between CG and poo, but I think I have currently worked out the problem, and will be able to stay total CG instead of a modified CG....Thank goodness for small favors and for CG.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    It's just so dumb because anytime public health folks tell us how to avoid getting sick they mention washing one's hands, focusing mostly on the *mechanics* of rubbing them together and then carefully drying them. The suds are secondary.

Wait, why am I expecting Sally's employees to be knowledgable about health issues? :lol:
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Registered Users Posts: 118
    I guess most people are brainwashed by the decades long adverising campaigns for shampoos. Thank you Lorraine Massey for opening my eyes!
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    How funny, I was told by a hair stylist that scalps develop fungus if one sleeps on wet head. I was like ".....right. *turns face :roll: *"
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    I have been sleeping on damp hair for over 10 years and I never had a scalp fungus. The stylist doesn't know what she's talking about. :shock:

PW- mymia
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Okay, so I had to look up 'scalp fungus' because I never heard of such a thing (and the term makes me laugh for some reason). The only kind of scalp fungus I could find was this -

Scalp Fungus Infection (Ringworm)(Tinea Capitis)

Scalp "ringworm" is an infection of skin and hair caused by a fungus, a kind of mold. The fungus is spread either by direct contact or through sharing of objects such as hats, combs, brushes, barrette, rubber bands, or hair-styling devices.

So I guess we can tell the "experts" that scalp fungus is not caused by lack of shampoo!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ScarletScarlet Registered Users Posts: 3,125 Curl Neophyte
    So I guess we can tell the "experts" that scalp fungus is not caused by lack of shampoo!

But then they'll sell fewer products! :roll:

I've been doing no poo, and I in no way have any scalp or odor issues with my hair. If I did, I would run for the shampoo like nobody's business!
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • Matthew96Matthew96 Registered Users Posts: 3
    CurlyMom73 wrote:
    Kudos to you for having the restraint to not totally make them feel like the incompetent arses they were acting like.

Could some one explain that to me.. xx(
    Matthew96 wrote:
    CurlyMom73 wrote:
    Kudos to you for having the restraint to not totally make them feel like the incompetent arses they were acting like.

Could some one explain that to me.. xx(

what part?

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • jenjenjenjen Registered Users Posts: 188
    pietri wrote:

I was laughing hard enough for my husband to ask me what was so funny. Seriously this was the first thing that came into my mind. What was she thinking... diarrhea of the mouth maybe? Some people have a lot of nerve. Just because she's obviously hiding her curls and can't handle them doesn't mean she should take that out on you. Wow I would have been steamed walking away from that store. I hope you go back and show them your lovely hair.

.png

.png
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    “Law is order, and good law is good order” (Aristotle).
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Oh my, I don't know how I missed this thread before but I'm so glad it got bumped back up because it gave me some of the best laughs all day. :lol:

Just a couple of the gems...
    I would've also told her where she could put the antifungal agent :shock:
    The other Sally's I go to has one sales girl in particular that has so much metal sticking out of her face I can't believe she doesn't get radio reception just standing at the register :shock: . She is nice, I have to say, though.

Lisa, I almost sprayed the screen with the water I was trying to swallow at the time. Talk about LMAO. :lol:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    I went back today to pick up a spray bottle for some of the great recipes I've found here. The same woman was at the counter with the frizzy, fried hair. There were no other customers, so I reminded her who I was. She remembered me and asked how long I tried to go without shampoo. I told her I am still not using it and I found out that conditioner has surfactants in it like shampoo, and that is how a good conditioner can clean hair and not dry it out. She was amazed that I have now gone almost 3 months without shampoo. I recommended she find a copy of Curly Girls and check it out.

By the way, I figured out how to get my pic as my avatar. There are my freed curls!!
    beautiful hair!

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
    Thank you!! :D
  • CreBabeCreBabe Registered Users Posts: 7
    I have been sleeping on damp hair for over 10 years and I never had a scalp fungus. The stylist doesn't know what she's talking about. :shock:

I've been sleeping on wet hair for my 17 years of life and the only thing I've ever gotten is Shirly Temple curls that will scare the day-lights out of you first thing in the morning.

BethV, you do have beautiful hair by the way.
    "To see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour." ~ William Blake
  • miaDUMINACANmiaDUMINACAN Registered Users Posts: 16
    Scalp Fungus- I seen a girl that I know with this (i think). She would bleach her hair and go to bed with wet hair and pull it tight. And yes she did get fungus and her hair was falling out. When she made a pony tail the back was empty.

I wanted to tell every one that I finally found a place to help me with CG routine. Its called Gables Beaty Supply (I think they have a website). The staff helped me find products that didnt have sulphates and they also have the full Devacare Line!! Sorry they only have locations in South Fl.
    But it was a breath of fresh air walking in and having the Staff that had an understaning of the CG rules!
    3a/b

No poo, Deva brown, One C, Deva Leav in, BioSilk Rock Hard Gel and Diffuse!!!

I am loving honey w/ ginsing miracle 8 as my treatment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file