to bc or not to bc...that is the question...

snappynappysnappynappy Registered Users Posts: 1,262
i Have horrible breakage...in the back and coming up the sides...i lost my satin scarf for a while...i know BAD!!! So basically i have relaxed hair on top, the front, some of the sides and just a little teeny tiny smidge in the back- only on the right side. Its a reverse mullet basically."Luckily" (and i use that term lightly)the back is covered by the relaxed hair's length.

My twists look weird becuase none of my hair is the same length

should i just go ahead and do the BC? :dontknow:

Id rather look awesome with a TA than to look like crap with relaxed hair here and there.plus i hear my hair will grow like a weed when the straggly ends come off!
I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
Suave Humectant
Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:

Comments

• shawnetteshawnette Registered Users Posts: 482 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a big fan of just cutting it all off, which is what I did. Much healthier for your hair and I think it looks better, especially when your natural hair texture is dramatically different from the relaxed texture.
  • NadieNadie Registered Users Posts: 51

Id rather look awesome with a TA than to look like crap with relaxed hair here and there

I think this was the key phrase. During my transition I started to realize that I wanted to be natural more than I wanted the length, thus I BCd way earlier than I had originally planned and it was a great decision. If you truly would rather look fierce with your natural hair than hold on to the length of the relaxed ends, I say :nike:... Good luck with your decision!
    BC: 22 February, 2009

My Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/NadieNinguem

• tryingtofindawaytryingtofindaway Registered Users Posts: 59
    Definately BC, it is truly liberating, plus very healthy hair.
    4a/b Last relaxer July 2006 :blob7:

Several BC's, last one May 08. Now ready for some growth

Products currently using:
    Giovanni leave-in condish
    Vegetable glycerin
    KCCC
    Bentonite clay
    Deva curl no poo
    Aubrey Organics - Honey suckle rose
    Vatika-coconut oil
    Henna/Indigo
  • MissConstruedMissConstrued Registered Users Posts: 323
    I BC-ed and it was the best thing I could do. It gave me a chance to learn my hair and I'm still learning it, as it changes every month! I say go ahead and get that BC done (professionally by someone who has experience cutting curly hair). If you decide you don't like it you can always get it braided, but I'm sure you'll like it because curly hair ROCKS!
    "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
    I am a serial cutter :help:
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
    i just cant cut my hair. i havent gotten a relaxer in 8 years but i kind of let it break off and i got a minor cut and trimmed it every few months. my roots are like the same pretty much so i just assume that the relaxer is all out by now. my hair looks normal (not all one length though but i dont want it that way) and i have no breakage but its taking forever to grow longer i guess because it was breaking off the relaxed ends and developing new growth at the same time. just seems odd that my hair is still short.

i commend people who do the big chop. i love natural hair but i would be devastated if i cut it any shorter. doesnt grow fast enough and i cant take that risk.

so i think you should cut it! avoid the frustration that comes after having it void of relaxers for 8 years and still being annoyed with your hair!! just do it : )
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    8 years? How long is your hair? I honestly can't imagine transitioning for 8 years!
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    If its breaking and you're not happy with the look, it appears like you have nothing to lose - trim!
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
    mariag002 wrote: »
    8 years? How long is your hair? I honestly can't imagine transitioning for 8 years!

haha yeah it sounds horrifying. when its straight its only a bit past my shoulders. so you can imagine how short it is when its not straight!!
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I say chop it off! No reason to hold on to hair that is breaking and damaged.

:wav:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Registered Users Posts: 670
    Don't fear the cut. When I decided to go natural, I cut ALL of my hair off. I had less than an inch of hair left. Now, I don't recommend going that drastic, but I'm drastic (LOL!!!) I say if it's damaged and breaking off (like mine was) cut it.

• hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    Don't fear the cut. When I decided to go natural, I cut ALL of my hair off. I had less than an inch of hair left. Now, I don't recommend going that drastic, but I'm drastic (LOL!!!) I say if it's damaged and breaking off (like mine was) cut it.
    I luv it Booker ts Mama :happy7: I did exactly what you did :wav:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file