try maca for pcos

google it. I'm not sure if I have pcos but I have suspected. I haven't been to a doctor to confirm this. I didn't want to go on birth control and a friend recommended maca root. You can get it in capsule form at whole foods or online from whole world botanicals. I took 3 in one day and they next day I got my period. I hadn't had a period since October. Its almost March.

Its all natural and basically it helps balance hormones in both men and women.

I posted about this under non hair discussion.

Comments

• RinRin Posts: 46Registered Users
    How does it work? I'm on BCP and have been on since being diagnosed 6 years ago. I would like to come off it but don't see any way out!! Can you take it alongside BCP?
    3a & 3b Fine hair - lots of it! :cat:
    Organix Coconut Shampoo
    Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
    Mixed Chicks Leave in Conditioner
    KMS Sea Salt spray

Playing with:

Boots Curling Cream
    Aloe Vera Gel & KYJelly
  • NatashaBethNatashaBeth Banned Posts: 32Banned Users
    But are you actually ovulating, or are you just having periods? You can have periods without ovulating. Some herbs can encourage periods, but I don't think they encourage actual ovulation.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BC isn't the only thing that wil bring on your period or regulate it. Metformin can help with that also. I've never heard about Maca and I'm interested in natural remedies so I will def check it out. Thanks for the head's up!
    comic-p.jpg
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    delete
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• peyrouxpeyroux Posts: 174Registered Users
    Maca root is from Peru, and it's good for lots of things. Energy, vitality, menopause discomfort, low sex drive, menstrual irregularity, and increasing fertility. My husband puts some in a smoothie everyday. It's supposed to readjust things at the cellular level, but I've always heard it takes a few weeks to work, so causing a period in three days is rare.
    2b, high porosity, medium texture
    CG since 11/20/09

Current routine:

low poo: GTTTT
    rinse out: Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily
    leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    stylers: Proclaim Curl Activator Gel, Proclaim Crystal Ice Protein Gel or Ecostyler Krystal Gel
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    I have been wanting to try this.
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
  • coshun2003coshun2003 Posts: 199Registered Users
    I just purchased my maca by navitas a few days ago and it will arrive on Tuesday. I will update after 2 weeks of using the gelatinzed capsules. I also got some Evening Primrose as well. I hope they help my menstural cycles.
    :love1:3c/4a Hair
    Last Relaxer: April 25, 2009
    BC: December 20, 2009
    5yrs Natural
    2nd BC planned for 6yr Naturalversary
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought some Maca but every time I open the bottle the smell makes me not want to take it.:(
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • waterlilieswaterlilies Posts: 9Registered Users
    I bought this:

http://www.iherb.com/Maca-Magic-Organic-Maca-Magic-Liquid-Extract-2-oz/6569?at=0

I've been taking it for over a month and I'm seeing good results. I started it on day 1 of my period and my period went from 7/8 days to 4 days and it was much lighter than it usually is. This has never happened, so I'm really happy about this. I've had another period since then with the same results, so I will probably using maca for a very long time.

I just received my second bottle and got this kind:

http://www.iherb.com/Maca-Magic-Maca-Magic-HRT-2-oz-60-ml/6583?at=0

It's got some other stuff in it that's supposed to be good to balance hormones, so I'm going to try it out to see which one I want to stick with long term.
    2a/b, fine, low porosity, needs very little protein

Co-wash: Nature's Gates Tea Tree Conditioner, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Nature's Gate Tree Conditioner
    Stylers: CURLS by Target, BRHG
  • afrodominican1afrodominican1 Posts: 650Registered Users
    I have PCOS and I have been seeing great results with eating a raw food diet. I will try the maca though. It could only help right?
    BC: 2/16/08
    Second BC: 12/22/10
    Dreads!!! 2/16/2014
    Third BC:3/22/16
    Goal Length: waist length

Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been on BC for like 10 years because of my irregular periods and severe cramps. I tried maca but I noticed my face starting breaking out. I guess it was because it affects hormones.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • HennaRoHennaRo Posts: 520Registered Users
    I have been taking Maca and Fenugreek for the past month. I just got my cycle last week and didn't have ANY cramps I always have really bad cramps and nausea the first day! Plus I noticed that my butt and boobs got bigger-not that I need it though!
    Last relaxer: January 08

BC: December 08

First and only time going natural:wav:
    Holy Grails:love10:
    *Terressential Pure Earth Hair Wash*Curl Junkie Deep Fix* Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion* Tresemme Naturals(Moisture)* Vo5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Poo/Elucence Moisture Balancing Poo* Komaza Care Jojoba Hemp* Oyin Burnt Sugar:love10:

FOTKI!

Follow me on Twitter! muffinator22

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file