i feel like im not growing as much as others are...

snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
i look at the fotkis of other people who transition and do a bc and i feel like i am not up to par in regards to growth...i just looked at another thread and was shocked at the amount of grwoth after only 10 months of transitioning...and then i look at mine and i am no where near that. my growth isnt too uniform, i feel like my front is longer than the back, but then again i had bad breakage in the back so thats technically all natural. I have about 3 to 4 inches -considering i had my last perm in early june is this all right or should i be concerned.

I DC (trying different ones to see what my hair likes) once a week, use giovanni smooth as silk at least once a week and shampoo every 2 weeks . I use herbal oil from Africas best, EVOO, Curls by Sisters smith and occasionally miss jessies products.I do twists, twist outs and bantu knot outs at least twice a week- its all i know how to do...

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

what am i doing wrong?
I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
Suave Humectant
Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:

Comments

• mixededmixeded Posts: 381Registered Users
    There could be any number of reasons why your hair doesn't seem to grow as fast like genetics, diet, environment. Hair usually grows slower in the winter I think. It's amazing what eating healthy and exercising can do.

It's also completely normal to have different paces of growth all over your head. But you know in all honesty 3-4 inches sounds about right to me. Don't be discouraged, I think you are doing just fine.8)

(although I'm not too sure about that Miss Jessie's...)
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • littleamazonlittleamazon Posts: 71Registered Users
    I'm in the same boat as you. Hair is supposed to grow about 1/2 inch a month (so I've read) and it's been 5 months for me and I feel as though I'm "coming up short?"

Is your hair ever really dry? Maybe it's a moisture problem?
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    BC Date: June 24, 2009

4a/b Penspring sized coils
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    i think my issue is moisture:angry3:...what should i be using...?

I am thinking about doing my bc very soon. i cut of some relaxed hair in the front and i like the look of it
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • littleamazonlittleamazon Posts: 71Registered Users
    Well there's a whole crap lod of products you could use to up the moisture on your hair. It all depends on what your hair likes. What kind of moisturizers are you using now. Do you have a daily moisturizer?

And if your hair is very dry I've heard someone recommend that you cowash a little more often than you already do. Some people cowash twice a week, some people do it every day :dontknow:
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    BC Date: June 24, 2009

4a/b Penspring sized coils
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair grows, but if your ends are breaking off you're not going to see it. Retaining length has been my challenge, not so much growth.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CoilyParisienneCoilyParisienne Posts: 28Registered Users
    i look at the fotkis of other people who transition and do a bc and i feel like i am not up to par in regards to growth...i just looked at another thread and was shocked at the amount of grwoth after only 10 months of transitioning...and then i look at mine and i am no where near that. my growth isnt too uniform, i feel like my front is longer than the back, but then again i had bad breakage in the back so thats technically all natural. I have about 3 to 4 inches -considering i had my last perm in early june is this all right or should i be concerned.

I DC (trying different ones to see what my hair likes) once a week, use giovanni smooth as silk at least once a week and shampoo every 2 weeks . I use herbal oil from Africas best, EVOO, Curls by Sisters smith and occasionally miss jessies products.I do twists, twist outs and bantu knot outs at least twice a week- its all i know how to do...

what am i doing wrong?

I believe that hair typically grows 0.4 inches per month (just under half an inch...the difference between .4 and .5 sounds minute, but this makes a huge difference when calculating annual growth). Considering this, your growth thus far sounds like it's right on track.

If you'd like to encourage even more growth, you can do so by massaging your scalp daily, taking growth stimulants (I use MTG, personally), and sporting protective styles.

Through Fotki, I've noticed that some transitioners don't trim their ends during the transition process - even when they specifically have permed hair that is damaged. This causes split ends to travel up the hair shaft to your new, natural, healthy hair - which in turn causes breakage of the new, healthy hair, as well. If you're not doing this already, I'd suggest trimming the permed hair regularly while you transition.
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    I felt the same way as you and I got the same answers as everyone just posted :toothy8:. I do a lot of protective styles now and I'm really focusing on moisture. I like vegetable glycerine and water in a spray bottle... it makes my hair so soft. I used to use sta-sof-fro (but stopped because I'm trying to use all natural products) and glycerine is a top ingredient so it works just as well! Some people also moisurize with honey. For moisture stuff you should check out : http://www.blogtalkradio.com/BlackHair/va/2009/02/08/what-is-moisture

She's very knowledgable (not just about hair :laughing8:)

I think the moisture and the protective styling are both helping, I will see if it grows any faster in the summer :iconbiggrin:

But, you should always do research and find out what's best for your hair

Good Luck
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Im in the EXACT same boat your in. Im 15 months post relaxer and while some of my hair reaches a few inches short of APL(8 inches) other parts of my hair barely reach shoulder blades (1.5 inches) and that is WITH growth aids.
    Moisture is not a problem for me it turns out my hair just grows slow in some areas and ridiculously slow in others and there is nothing I can do about it.
    I did hear that if I were to BC then my hair would sprout out of my scalp which im finding to be true. A lot of women who big chop see a faster growth rate following the months after their cut. Im still to chicken to BC right now, im going the full 30 months.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    Im still to chicken to BC right now, im going the full 30 months.

Whoa, good luck with that! I did not have the patience lol
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • Mixed ChicaMixed Chica Posts: 150Registered Users

what am i doing wrong?

I believe that hair typically grows 0.4 inches per month (just under half an inch...the difference between .4 and .5 sounds minute, but this makes a huge difference when calculating annual growth). Considering this, your growth thus far sounds like it's right on track.

If you'd like to encourage even more growth, you can do so by massaging your scalp daily, taking growth stimulants (I use MTG, personally), and sporting protective styles.

Through Fotki, I've noticed that some transitioners don't trim their ends during the transition process - even when they specifically have permed hair that is damaged. This causes split ends to travel up the hair shaft to your new, natural, healthy hair - which in turn causes breakage of the new, healthy hair, as well. If you're not doing this already, I'd suggest trimming the permed hair regularly while you transition.

Hi I was wondering what is the MTG that you use?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file