College Curlies!

NadieNadie Registered Users Posts: 51
If this thread or one similar to it has already been started, please point me in the right direction:happy3: I have posted this in the 4a, 4b, 3c and transitioning forums.

I have been noticing sooo many beautiful natural heads around my university campus, ranging from stylish twa's to thick brastrap length tresses. I would say that at least 3 out of 5 of the women I see at my school are natural (and it's not the same 3 every time :rolleyes:). It's a great feeling:happy7:

So to all you college curlies... What's the natural scene like on your campus?
BC: 22 February, 2009

My Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/NadieNinguem

Comments

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    It seems like most of my campus is transitioning! There is a huge number of girls IN MY YEAR going natural it's amazing! Sadly, I dont think a lot of them are going to stop wearing weaves :(
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Registered Users Posts: 734
    well im 19 and im going to be natural for the rest of my life! i hope : \

yeah there are a couple natural girls here but not really. i go to a predominantly white school and i guess the black girls want to look white - straighter hair and relaxers. weave everywhere man. tragic but thats a personal decision i guess.
    head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
    "Make your choice adventurous stranger;
    Strike the bell and bide the danger.
    Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen
  • NadieNadie Registered Users Posts: 51
    well im 19 and im going to be natural for the rest of my life! i hope : \

yeah there are a couple natural girls here but not really. i go to a predominantly white school and i guess the black girls want to look white - straighter hair and relaxers. weave everywhere man. tragic but thats a personal decision i guess.

Yeah, my school is predominantly white also, and I would have expected the majority of the ethnic women to wear their hair straight to "fit in" but nope! so many of us naturals around regardless of being the minority...

My Youtube

• BajeBaje Registered Users Posts: 69 Curl Neophyte
    I'm 20 and my university is predominantly white as well. The few black women hair wear weaves or braids mainly or have relaxed hair. There is noo natural scene whatsoever! But everyone here has given me lots of compliments on my hair : )
    Natural since October 6th 2007 :)
    type 4a
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Registered Users Posts: 221
    i go to a pretty liberal school, that is quite diverse.
    while it not like an overwhelming amount of girls with natural hair, there def are quite a few.

but thats if ur talking about african american women.

if ur talking about curly hair in general, like including other races, they are all over my campus.

quite a few white ppl who have locs as well and frocking fro's, which i think is cool, lol.

but men of color with curly fro's like mine, that don't have braids 24/7 i could probably count on both hands.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
    CurlLee wrote: »
    i go to a pretty liberal school, that is quite diverse.
    while it not like an overwhelming amount of girls with natural hair, there def are quite a few.

but thats if ur talking about african american women.

if ur talking about curly hair in general, like including other races, they are all over my campus.

quite a few white ppl who have locs as well and frocking fro's, which i think is cool, lol.

but men of color with curly fro's like mine, that don't have braids 24/7 i could probably count on both hands.

Now that you mention it, I see a good number of guys with big fros walking around too. This guy that lives in my apartments has the most fabulous, curly, big head of hair... I might be a bit jealous of him:rolleyes: And there is a group of 4 Samoan brothers or cousins and each one of them has hair that will have you like...:shock: Much like Troy Polamalu.

My Youtube

• blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Registered Users Posts: 492
    my school is pretty diverse. lots of curlies around. There is this white guy in one of my lit classes who has a really great head of curls. I've seen a few naturals here and there.
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • TK*TK* Registered Users Posts: 885
    Sadly, I'm one of maybe 4 girls in the entire school with natural hair. :(

I get a lot of looks and questions, consequently from my classmates. So many girls ask, "Can I touch your hair?" It's sad because most of them would be 4a/4b like me and yet they don't even know what their hair looks like.

:(
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
    I don't know if it's quite the same but boarding high school is kinda like college? Anyway, there are probably only about 12 black girls at my school and coincidentally(?), all the black seniors and juniors are natural and the under formers are not. The senior girls primarily wear braids though. Even though I'm still transitioning (almost done!), of the girls in my junior year (2 others), one wears her hair out and natural and the other is bald :o She looks absolutely amazing though, and I think she's keeping the bit of fuzz-fuzz that's growing out.:happy7:

At my boyfriend's college though, he says the natural scene is about half and half (He has an untrained eye though but I'll believe him XD)
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• lajoliefillelajoliefille Registered Users Posts: 350
    I go to a school that is predominately Asian... and of the few African Americans here there aren't there are like 4 naturals including myself :/

Oh and MALA your hair is simply DIVINE!!! I just did my bc too; wasnt it liberating!?
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2007
    BC: Feb. 28 2009 :afro::hello1:

What do hair typing, Santa, the bogey man, and the great pumpkin all have in common? My utter and complete disbelief in them of course. ;-)

"Feminism is the RADICAL notion that women are human beings."

Oh and MALA your hair is simply DIVINE!!! I just did my bc too; wasnt it liberating!?

Thanks so much for the compliment! Yes it was very liberating! The best decision I could have made!:love7:

My Youtube

• afrodominican1afrodominican1 Registered Users Posts: 650
    I see a few naturals on campus including some guys who are mostly on the football team with dreads. My school is also predominantly white. There is this white girl that is the VP of student government and she has the most beautiful head of 4a curls. when her hair is out she has a huge afro!
    BC: 2/16/08
    Second BC: 12/22/10
    Dreads!!! 2/16/2014
    Third BC:3/22/16
    Goal Length: waist length

Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • A_MattA_Matt Registered Users Posts: 56
    We have a pretty decent natural scene. Everyone seems to love their curly hair. I have a friend who has an AWESOME head of 3b curls. They are so thick and a beautiful auburn. There is still a small group who refuses to give up the relaxers, but I think I may have gotten one girl to give transitioning a try. I'm one of a few guys who are growing their hair, though.
    Last cut - Aug 20, 2009
    I'm a guy. Seems like we're pretty rare in these forums...

My fotki
    http://public.fotki.com/AMatt/
  • goodbyegoodbye Registered Users Posts: 79
    None- I am the lone natural. It's cool- at least everyone knows me.
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Registered Users Posts: 280
    There is usually at least one onther natural in very class that I have.

I also noticed a guy from Japan who keeps his hair in Locs. He seems cool. :afro:
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights