starting CG cheap products

so i thinking about going cg; but i have noticed that some of the stuff that has been listed for conditioners and anti frizz products are pretty expensive. is there any products that work that are cheap like under 5 dollars?

and i use tresamae (spelling) anti frizz and garnar (spelling) sleek and shine now
should i stick with that?

finally for my shampoo & conditioner i use herbal essence none of your frizzness
is that good too?
thanks so much

Comments

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    so i thinking about going cg; but i have noticed that some of the stuff that has been listed for conditioners and anti frizz products are pretty expensive. is there any products that work that are cheap like under 5 dollars?

and i use tresamae (spelling) anti frizz and garnar (spelling) sleek and shine now
    should i stick with that?

finally for my shampoo & conditioner i use herbal essence none of your frizzness
    is that good too?
    thanks so much

The whole point of CG is that you stop using sulfates (in shampoos) and silicones (in conditioners and styling products). I think you need to read a bit since I'm not sure you understand the concepts of the method.
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

Read that.

Treseme is notoriously loaded with silicones. Herbal essences shampoos have sulfates. Herbal essences conditioners have silicones. Garnier sleek and shine also has silicones.

As far as cheap products go, for cowashing, the suave naturals conditioners and the Vo5 conditioners work well for cowashing. The herbal essences line of gels (body envy, totally twisted, and set me up) are 'cone free.
  • jomar_hairjomar_hair Registered Users Posts: 132
    I have a list on the left hand side of my blog of possible products you could use. I would post it here but, the list is kind of long. It also lists whether there are water soluble and slightly water soluble silicones in the ingredients.

My blog is in my signature. Hope it helps.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    If you are truly wanting to go CG, then the products listed (Tresemme, Garnier, etc) is not going to work. Read up more on CG. I do like Garnier Fructis' sleek and shine leave-in...and the DT is good too. Yep, they have a cone in them and are not CG. The sleek and shine line has amodimethicone, which to me is okay...but I'm not a strict CG'er. You might find you can combine CG with non-CG...but it really is a matter of trial and error. I think I learned a lot by going CG first and then incorporating other products (non-CG) to see what my hair likes/dislikes and how I can still be gentle with my hair...if that makes sense. So I would advise you not to throw away your non-CG items...you may incorporate them back into your routine...but if you're truly wanting to go CG, then I'd recommend Suave Naturals conditioners and Alberto VO5 conditioners...they are great. If you need a shampoo...there are non-sulfate ones out there. The only cheap one I know (I know of expensive ones)...is Creme of Nature that you can get at Sally's Beauty Supply. But beware, they are reformulating it. If the bottle is orange, steer clear of it, that's the non-CG, newer version. If it's white or beige and has red lettering on it, then you're good to go. You can find Creme of Nature in the "ethnic" aisle.
    I can't think of any cheap leave-ins, as my CG ones aren't cheap. My non-CG one (the Garnier Fructis) is cheap, but...well, it's non-CG.
    Curl creams...the only CG one that I know that's cheap is Biotera curl cream that you can get at Sally's. People have limited experiences with that one. I wouldn't recommend you buy it if you live in an arid climate, though.
    Check out blogs and websites that people refer you too and keep looking around here (and keep asking questions).
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, if you like gel...I forgot I don't use gel...but if you do, Herbal Essences gels are CG...Totally Twisted, Set Me Up, and I think there's another one...Body Envy? something like that...it's also Herbal Essences.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • artc34artc34 Registered Users Posts: 12
    I just bought some V05 Moisture Milks conditioners at my local grocery store...they were on sale for "3 for $4", or 75 cents each.

I also love Lustrasilk cholesterol, and I found some at the grocery store about $2.00
    New to CG (as of 2/14/09). 2a/3a hair.

Current routine:
    Low poo (every other wash): Giovanni TTT
    Co-wash: Giovanni TTT, V05 Moisture Milks, Tigi MM
    Styling: Homemade spray gel w/ FX Curl Booster

STILL SEARCHING FOR NO HUMECTANT, LIGHTWEIGHT PRODUCTS!

• konakona Registered Users Posts: 19
    See if you have a Sallys Beauty Supply they have a Generic Value Products line, several of them are CG the one that I heard about on here and use is the Conditioning Balm, it is there version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm. Most of the GVP are about 5 dollars.

They also carry the Lustrasilk line, Mango Shea Butter is CG and it is under 3 dollars, I use it as a leave in because it isn't enough conditioner for me as a rinse out.

If you go to Sallys spend the 5 bucks to get their card for discounts and you get a coupon to use the next month for 5 dollars off, so you basicly get the card for free.

At the regular store, I get most of my stuff at Walmart because it is cheaper and has a huge selection you can find some stuff. Lorel has a Pro Vive for long wavy or curly hair, in a pink bottle and seems to always be on the bottom shelf. Herbal Essence gels are CG and cheap, like 2.50. Tresemme has a couple of style products that are CG (they do contain a PEP dimethacone but washes out easily) including Curl Hydration leave in and Curl Jelly (not sure about the names on these but they close). Of course Sauve Natruals and V05 are there as well.

Hope some of this helps I am on a budget to with three boys at home, so cheap is always good. :happy7:

The day before I found this site I had decided to cut my BSL curls off again to above my shoulders because it was a mess; tangled, dry and frizzy. But it is now shinier and healthier and I wear it down all the time.

Cathie
    Natrual Redhead with some help from the salon - Blonde highlights on crown to hide grey given to me by 3 boys
    3a/2c I think LOL
    New to CG but loving it :occasion7:
    CO wash - Sauve Natruals Lavender or Aloe Water Lily
    Rinse Out - GVP Biolage Moisturizing Balm
    Still looking for leave in and styling products :dontknow:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file