CurlTalk

Um... my Flax Seed Gel is... foamy??

Hey guys! I tried making the acclaimed flax seed gel everyone is talking about... it ended up looking like a mixture of bubble bath bubbles, snot, and egg whites!! Here's what I did:

I combined 1/4 of a cup of flax seeds with 1 cup of water.
I put it on the stove, and timed it for 10 minutes from the minute I saw bubbles coming up.
I put it through a strainer, and with MUCH effort that included groans and thoughts of "Why, why, why?", finally got about a 1/4 of a cup of gel... well more like snot. It is slightly yellow and REALLY REALLY REALLY thick, it doesn't want to part with the rest of the gel if I try to take out a blob. What did I do wrong... or is this how it is supposed to look? I sort of doubt it...
Gracias chicos! (boys and girls)

Comments

• BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users
    *lol* No, you pretty much got it right. Maybe just boiled it a little too long. I never time mine anymore - the one time I did, it came out like tomato seeds and their goop, but dried in the sun for three days. So, now I just eyeball it, and when I'm stirring and it forms a thick, stringy thread from the spoon, that's when I turn off the heat, and strain IMMEDIATELY. Don't let it cool first, because it only gets thicker.

You can use a hand mixer to break up the globs, but it might whip up like egg whites a bit if you go too fast, and get really foamy. I like a medium sized whisk, and it only takes 30 seconds or so of vigorous stirring to break it all up to a useable consistency.
    Hey guys! I tried making the acclaimed flax seed gel everyone is talking about... it ended up looking like a mixture of bubble bath bubbles, snot, and egg whites!! Here's what I did:

I combined 1/4 of a cup of flax seeds with 1 cup of water.
    I put it on the stove, and timed it for 10 minutes from the minute I saw bubbles coming up.
    I put it through a strainer, and with MUCH effort that included groans and thoughts of "Why, why, why?", finally got about a 1/4 of a cup of gel... well more like snot. It is slightly yellow and REALLY REALLY REALLY thick, it doesn't want to part with the rest of the gel if I try to take out a blob. What did I do wrong... or is this how it is supposed to look? I sort of doubt it...
    Gracias chicos! (boys and girls)
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • Irish_carrottopIrish_carrottop Posts: 214Registered Users
    Thanks so much! Is is true that you can soak the flax seeds in the water over night, then strain, then boil the water?
  • CurlGirl27CurlGirl27 Posts: 23Registered Users
    I found that when I made mine 10 minutes would have been way to long! Maybe try less time and you might have better success. :happy7:
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users
    Thanks so much! Is is true that you can soak the flax seeds in the water over night, then strain, then boil the water?

Hmmmm not sure - I've never tried that!
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • Irish_carrottopIrish_carrottop Posts: 214Registered Users
    I actually tried my gel last night-best hair day ever!!!! Wow!!! Clumpy, springy, soft, frizz-free curls that lasted the whole day today! I mixed it with my regular gel, though. Next time, I am going to use all of the fsg gel.