Transitioning & hair dryness

heyitsmefeheyitsmefe Posts: 101Registered Users
Hey you guys! I'm now approaching my 8th month of transitioning and I am having a little bit of difficulty with my hair staying moisturized. I'm co-washing 2-3 times a week AND I do a deep conditioner once a week, but I'm still faced with my natural hair being excessively dry. I haven't used heat on it recently and even been using EVOO and shea butter. At one time my hair loved shea butter but now it hates it. When I apply the shea butter my hair feels extremely greasy and thats even when I have melted it down to almost oil like. Anyway, I'm getting a little frustrated because the middle/crown of my hair is the worst section for dryness. Does anyone have any advice they can give me? I just need to find some kind of routine that can help with the dryness... ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance ladies

P.S. I've heard great things about coconut oil, but I haven't been able to find it. Plus I'm not sure if this something that will help me.

Comments

• DiscoveringMeAgainDiscoveringMeAgain Posts: 126Registered Users
    heyitsmefe wrote: »
    Hey you guys! I'm now approaching my 8th month of transitioning and I am having a little bit of difficulty with my hair staying moisturized. I'm co-washing 2-3 times a week AND I do a deep conditioner once a week, but I'm still faced with my natural hair being excessively dry. I haven't used heat on it recently and even been using EVOO and shea butter. At one time my hair loved shea butter but now it hates it. When I apply the shea butter my hair feels extremely greasy and thats even when I have melted it down to almost oil like. Anyway, I'm getting a little frustrated because the middle/crown of my hair is the worst section for dryness. Does anyone have any advice they can give me? I just need to find some kind of routine that can help with the dryness... ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx in advance ladies

P.S. I've heard great things about coconut oil, but I haven't been able to find it. Plus I'm not sure if this something that will help me.

I was doing the same as you and still experienced dryness. Needless to say it frustrated me so much that I was contemplating "throwing in the towel".
    Thankfully through experimentation I discovered that cowashing twice and deep conditioning once a week was more beneficial for my fine hair.
    I also began to use KBB hair nectar and Afroveda twisted ginger & hemp seed butters and I STILL can't believe how much my hair has changed for the better.

Just be patient, you'll find what works. Good luck! :salut:
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    My hair was going through a dry phase as well, I swithed products and added a few things to my routine (olive oil, honey). I wear a plastic shower cap when I DT but just started using a Gold N Hot heat cap, my hair really liked that!

Right now, I use shea butter on my hairline and ends, but I used coconut oil a lot this summer, I found it at my supermarket, they also sell it at Whole Foods/natural food store. I use it occassionally in the winter (mainly on my scalp) but the shea has helped my dryness a lot!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
  • heyitsmefeheyitsmefe Posts: 101Registered Users
    I'm just trying to figure this thing out. I've been using olive oil right before I cowash and I even added a little to my conditioner. Just trying to figure out what to put on my hair once it has dried for daily moisture. Seems like its fine on day one but by the end of the day my hair has soaked up all the moisture and is looking for something else. I just found out we have a Whole Foods store in Orlando, so I'll check it out this weekend and pick up some coconut oil.

I'm a little concerned because I don't think I should be deep conditioning more than once a week because I think that's a little too much and truthfully i'm unsure about how protein treatments wor so I'm a little fearful of them. I know that I have to figure out some kind of routine because if I don't my hair will start breaking. This is just getting a little frustrating :hmph:
  • VainityVainity Posts: 110Registered Users
    What's going on with your diet? Are you drinking enough water? Are you getting in enough fruit and vegetables so that your body gets all the essential nutrients that it needs?
    When your hair is dry and brittle and no product can help or when your nails are dry and splitting all the time, a little change in your diet can help that along.
    HTH
    Vain
    Last Relaxer: May 8, 2008
    BC: May 27, 2009
    My Picasa Album
  • zanii0506zanii0506 Posts: 176Registered Users
    im going on my 9th month of transitioning

i found lotion type hairdresses work best on my natural hair for providing mositure at this point

i use optimum products in the yellow bottle...can't think of the exact name of it at this point
  • DiscoveringMeAgainDiscoveringMeAgain Posts: 126Registered Users
    heyitsmefe wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure this thing out. I've been using olive oil right before I cowash and I even added a little to my conditioner. Just trying to figure out what to put on my hair once it has dried for daily moisture. Seems like its fine on day one but by the end of the day my hair has soaked up all the moisture and is looking for something else. I just found out we have a Whole Foods store in Orlando, so I'll check it out this weekend and pick up some coconut oil.

I'm a little concerned because I don't think I should be deep conditioning more than once a week because I think that's a little too much and truthfully i'm unsure about how protein treatments wor so I'm a little fearful of them. I know that I have to figure out some kind of routine because if I don't my hair will start breaking. This is just getting a little frustrating :hmph:

You may also need a protein treatment if you haven't had one in a while. It can really improve your hair's responsiveness to products.
    We know it's frustrating but it's just a phase. Think of your transitioning hair as a teenager (best I could come up with, lol) going through puberty. It has no idea how to best "cope" with the changes yet but it will all work out.
  • VeE_BuGVeE_BuG Posts: 18Registered Users
    Ok so im 14 y.o., im mixed with louisiana creole, dominican, mexican, hatian, and some other stuff i think. But anyways i decided to transition about 3 4 months ago. i decided to transition because i HATE relaxers and my natural hair was really pretty and i felt like i was being myself. Im having a few problems transitioning myselg though. One my support system isnt all that great, my hair is also dry and not as soft as it was when i was getting relaxers, and my hair is growing slower than the first two times i decided to transition. When i was in 6th grade i stopped getting perms for about 7 to 8th months and my hair grew really quick and long, but then i got a relaxer because people were saying my hair looked a hot mess. Then I tried again beginning of 09 and my beautician forgot and put a relaxer in it. Now im starting over again and i dont have as much new growth and i planned to do my bc before i start school next year. Is there anyone on here who can give me advice, tips, and encourage me to continue my journey of transition?
  • mixedbabymixedbaby Posts: 94Registered Users
    VeE_Bug, Try drinking more water. I know it sounds simple but it has really helped me. Back when I was still getting relaxers i used to never drink water but since ive started transitioning ive benn drinking as much water as possibble and now have more new growth than ive ever had before
    Thank you so much. I guess that's the problem because I haven't really been drinking too much water or as much as I should.
    I have recently decided that I wanted to cut my hair. I found the perfect hair cut for my face shape and facial features in general. The hairstyle is an insperation from one of my favorite singers (keyshia cole). But the problem is I dont know how to make the hairstyle work for me. Her hair is a totally different texture than mine. At one point when I first started getting relaxers, I had the perfect texture for this hairsyle. Now, I really dont think it'll work. Is there any product or remedy I can use to help my hair look good with a hairstlye like this?767a664d-7a21-dd35-9776-5bc0213d8bad-ontv_FB_106Bran****yshia15.jpg
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    I am also transitioning. I am much into the process than you. I totally understand the drying issue. My hair HATES shea butter, but it LOVES olive oil. I started using products that have olive oil as the main product. My hair absolutely loves these products:

SBS-631551? (Hot Oil Treatments w/ my deep conditioner. I use 1/2 a bottle)

SBS-631076? I used this product w/ Miss Jessie's for my twist outs. I also use this product on my skin too.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • drasdras Posts: 175Registered Users
    I was just wondering if the dryness is something that everyone goes through when they are transitioning from relaxers.

Is there anyone who is transitioning but doesnt have dry hair?

dras
    21 Months Relaxer Free

My album: http://public.fotki.com/dras/
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    Since I found a product that works for me, my drying issues are over (for now). :thumbup:
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • Sapphire_ChicSapphire_Chic Posts: 189Registered Users
    i dont have much of a problem with dryness..maybe because i dont give it a chance to get dry by spritzing it twice a day. i am actually on a mission to find out exactly what products keep my hair hydrated..or should i say prevent it. so i'm reviewing coneless conditioners, protein free conditioners and cone/protein free over the next few weeks. oh and i'm also testing several oils.
    not to hijack the thread but i just thought maybe you still need to find out what your (natural) hair likes and hopefully when you find it your relaxed ends wont hate it too much lol

disclaimer:im not trying to be a pj or turn you into one :laughing2: im planning on sticking to what works when i find it
    Henna and shea butter. Next to try are shampoos bars (still <3 baking soda)
    Fotki personal 'NO centre parting for the rest of the year' challenge

event.png

weight.png
  • NamunNamun Posts: 113Registered Users
    Been transitioning for a few months now and my hair is doing well. I recently started parting and conditioning my scalp and new growth with an Earthly Delight pomade, which has some nice natural ingredients. My relaxed hair seems to like the pomade as well and I've had no problems with dryness. Finding the right products and ingredients that work in your hair is key.

Coconut oil works very well on my hair and so does Carol's Daughter. I apply it daily and wash my hair once a week. I also noticed that it takes time for my hair to get used to certain products.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people”
    Chinese Proverbs quote

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file