CurlTalk

I Love Shea Butter!

lenax7lenax7 Posts: 107Registered Users
I've searched for years for something to moisturise my 4a/4b hair against the harsh cold and I found it! I would recommend pure unrefined shea butter to anyone prone to dryness!

The unrefined pure one is the best!
Hair type: Type 4-beauty (4a/4b).

Staples: (Qhemet rules!):
Leave in conditioner / Daily mosturiser: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream.
Former fave: Shea butter - (appears to be making my hair less thick - so I'm not too happy),
Detangler (only need to use after shampoo): Cocoa tree detangling ghee.
Shampoo: Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising conditioner.
Deep conditioner: Still searching...

Hair hates: Natural oils of any kind.

Comments

• aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    Amen!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faricurl%2F" class="Popup
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
  • FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    I couldn't agree more with you. Unrefined shea butter is so nice and though it seems heavy, it goes on very light in my hair and distributes easily. My hair doesn't like every product containing shea butter but the unrefined shea butter works so well for me.
  • Sunyata B. Sunyata B. Posts: 105Registered Users
    I like to smooth it over a fresh un-fluffed twist out and it gives me the moisture and hold that I have been looking for. I'm so glad I gave it a second chance.
  • sugartwistsugartwist Posts: 156Registered Users
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I like to rub a smidge in my palms and scrunch on my wet clean conditioned ends before styling.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • HappyNappyEHappyNappyE Posts: 108Registered Users
    I love using unrefined on my twist nightly =) I wake up to soft hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *No heat until July 9, 2009(my bday)!* SL Challenge :colors:
    ~shea butta baby~
    :sad9:I'm such a PJ!
    :sunny: Haute & Natural blog
  • eyesthatlieeyesthatlie Posts: 261Registered Users
    Does it need to be unrefined?
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    If shea has been refined, the healing properties (Vit A, E) have been removed. It may be softer to handle, but you won't reap the benefits. It also costs more. I've had the best success on-line from sheabutterhut. You may also be able to find it locally.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faricurl%2F" class="Popup
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
  • Sunyata B. Sunyata B. Posts: 105Registered Users
    For those who are getting it online where are you going? I think my latest one I bought is suspect.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    www.sheaterraorganics.com

Look for the Nilotica or Burkina Faso or Really Raw--all unrefined, excellent quality, minimal smell and soft. I typically buy 1 per year.

Their shea body butters are mixed, scented, and refined --ice but not what I want for hair. I also buy Sidamo coffee beans, shea body oil, and baobab oil from this site with more frequency.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mizzbellzmizzbellz Posts: 32Registered Users
    Leaves my skin and hair oh so soft! I live in an area with lots of African shops so I'm swimming in unrefined Shea butter. Because there is so many African beauty shops its reasonably priced YAY!! :cheers:
  • heyitsmefeheyitsmefe Posts: 101Registered Users
    i recently bought some shea butter and for some reason it seems a little odd. can it go bad? how should it be stored?
  • Naptural9jaNaptural9ja Posts: 183Registered Users
    For those who are getting it online where are you going? I think my latest one I bought is suspect.
    www.theafricanstore.org
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    I simply love Nilotica Shea Butter.

But...my absolute fav product with shea butter to put on hair & body is:
    bottle.png

It has unrefined shea butter, palm oil, lemongrass, vanilla extract, plus other stuffs. I know it's body lotion, but whoa, I'm like cheating on my hands and legs with this stuff in my hair.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I am glad that you've had great results with the shea butter.

Unfortunately, I'm finding out that while my skin loves shea butter, my hair doesn't seem to like it at all. Every time that I've used it or a product containing shea butter, I have good results on Day 1 (I get all excited and tell everybody), but the rest of the week my hair is really dry and crunchy (not gel crunchy but crunchy from being so dry).
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQVCDiva%2F" class="Popup
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users
    i just found it- used it once and i am in love!!!
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    www.theafricanstore.org

use caution when ordering from theafricanstore.org. Some one posted a video on youtube about this company mixing the shea butter with something else.
  • Naptural9jaNaptural9ja Posts: 183Registered Users
    do you have a link to this video?
    www.theafricanstore.org

use caution when ordering from theafricanstore.org. Some one posted a video on youtube about this company mixing the shea butter with something else.
  • YanoiYanoi Posts: 18Registered Users
    Thanks for the heads up. They have a bad reputation on WOT (firefox add on that let you know the reputation of websites, they are bright red for WARNING!) I always wondered why and that's one of the reasons I was always cautious about ordering from them. Now I see..
  • drrobers4drrobers4 Posts: 35Registered Users
    Are you serious!!!!???? I had no idea that it can be used in ones hair as well. I have been "eyeing" that lotion for a while in Whole Foods (because I want to stop using commercial lotions that have so many chemicals in them that are not good for my skin in the long run, but I love how good they smell). I am slowing but surely using them up then I will get this (I would hate to throw them away and I do not want to give them away since I know I do not consider it healthy for my skin, I do not want to give it to someone for them to use on their skin either) !!!!! Oh my Word! Thank you, hun. I love this site, lol. :)
    Hair type: 4a/b 3c
    100% Natural :occasion9:

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."

-Frederick Douglass
  • sheabutterloversheabutterlover Posts: 2Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »

Where does your honey get his shea from. The thought of getting fresh shea butter is heaven to me. And my mom would go crazy!!!
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    I finally used shea butter on my hair and my skin LOVE IT!
  • zerbitzerbit Posts: 47Registered Users
    This is soooo my topic, I work for a nonprofit that specializes in fairtrade shea butter.
    heyitsmefe wrote: »
    i recently bought some shea butter and for some reason it seems a little odd. can it go bad? how should it be stored?
    Yeah, shea butter can go old, if it's a natural product. It should last a year and a half, but if you smell anything weird, notice any grit or greenness, you should throw it out. Don't keep it in extreme temperatures, any cool dry place will do.
    mizzbellz wrote: »
    Leaves my skin and hair oh so soft! I live in an area with lots of African shops so I'm swimming in unrefined Shea butter. Because there is so many African beauty shops its reasonably priced YAY!! :cheers:
    If you're getting a huge container for like $5, the quality is probably questionable and/or some woman in West Africa is getting the shaft. More information on that can be found here and you can watch the short Shea Yeleen documentary here.
  • mouseymousey Posts: 120Registered Users
    it's cool for my dry skin, but leaves my hair greasy and sticky..i'm sad to say it doesn't really work for my hair. i'm african, and my dad thinks that an african that doesn't like shea butter is hilarious..:laughing1:
    i cannot live without my aviators, my boston terrier, biology and black tights.:love7:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    mousey wrote: »
    it's cool for my dry skin, but leaves my hair greasy and sticky..i'm sad to say it doesn't really work for my hair. i'm african, and my dad thinks that an african that doesn't like shea butter is hilarious..:laughing1:
    Have you tried the nilotica shea butter? I just got some and I like it a lot better than West african unrefined. Its not as greasy and it actually sinks into my hair leaving it soft, not hard like the other kind. :)
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • butterflyjubutterflyju Posts: 53Registered Users
    so where do u get this great shea butter! I want to try some. Ive been having a problem with keeping my home moist. Ive got some coconut oil (unrefined) that im gonna try
    Hair: 4b/c
    BC: sept '09
    Last relaxer: Apr '09
    Shampoo: 365 whole food brand
    Co-wash: Suave coconut
    DC: phytojoba or alter ego (I add a little EVOO and honey to both:sunny:)
    Twist outs: Miss jessies curly pudding
    Experimenting with: unrefined cocnut oil, infusium23 leave in, KCCC, and anything I can get my hands on :thumbup:
    (I plan on shortening this list as I find out what my hair likes!!!!)
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    I just recently placed an order for Shea Butter & Black Soap from this company.
    The Black soap is sooo soft & nice, the Shea butter is sooo creamy & smooth plus the prices u can't beat...this is now my go to place for these products!!!:bounce:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.butters-n-bars.com%2Fnatural_butters.html" class="Popup
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • mverde3mverde3 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank you for the link. I'm buying unrefined shea butter from them right now :laughing9: My inner PJ is excited !