CurlTalk

Glycerin? Who's using it and who has cut it out (or limited it)?

I'm wondering if maybe my dryness and frizziness of late is due to the good old glycerine that it's most of the stuff I use. Our dew points are low right now, and I'm wondering if maybe it wouldn't be worth a try to cut it out.

Anyone still using it? Anyone cut it out/limit it and then see improvement??

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I am still using it if it's in my rinse out conditioner. I am trying to limit it's use on products that stay in my hair until the dew points get above 30.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I am still using it if it's in my rinse out conditioner. I am trying to limit it's use on products that stay in my hair until the dew points get above 30.

Have you noticed a difference when you limit it in your styling products?
  • k_vssyk_vssy Posts: 240Registered Users
    My hair was being super frizzy at the beginning of this winter, and it's doing much better now that I'm not using products with humectants in them. In my co-wash or rinse out they're fine, but I've had to stop with them in leave ins, etc. for right now. I'll have fun experimenting sometime after the dew point goes back into double digits.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    Laura Lee wrote: »

Have you noticed a difference when you limit it in your styling products?

It is definitely less flyaway and not as prone to the frizzies. So it does help to minimize the glycerin for me.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I also had to drop any leave in glycerine when it went dry out. My hair suddenly stopped holding a curl, looked dry and frazzly and kept poofing up. In humidity glycerine is my HG.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    rudeechick wrote: »
    I also had to drop any leave in glycerine when it went dry out. My hair suddenly stopped holding a curl, looked dry and frazzly and kept poofing up. In humidity glycerine is my HG.

Dry, frazzly, and poofy sounds like me. Today I used stuff with glycerine in my cowash and rinse out, but used glycerine free stylers. Still waiting on it to dry before I see if there's any difference
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    I've cut glycerin out of my routine EXCEPT for my rinse out conditioner. It's to dry right now to use it. I might use it in summer, but that's up for debate since I found products without it that my hair seems to adore.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Can't use it, especially in summer.
    rudeechick wrote: »

Dry, frazzly, and poofy sounds like me. Today I used stuff with glycerine in my cowash and rinse out, but used glycerine free stylers. Still waiting on it to dry before I see if there's any difference
    I do still use the same rinse out I use in summer (tigi MM). It does have glycerine, so I do use quite a bit less for now.
    My Photobucket Album
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    :hello1: I am, I am!!! I have been using products with glycerin in them since going (mod) Cg in October. I was not CG before, so I'm not sure how my hair will react when it starts warming up. I have not had any problems with products, though I might just be an exception to the rule :dontknow:. Of course I live in dry Colorado, so we don't get humidity, so we'll see how my hair fairs.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I've been using CK for over a year. I still use it in the winter just less of it.

I haven't used it my last 3 washes as I've found that FSG really helps keep down the frizz. That was until yesterday. I'll be putting it back in next wash day.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    Alright well now it's the end of the day and I must say that my glycerin-free styling routine seems to have helped. I've still got surface frizz much more than I'd like, but it's not nearly as dry looking or poofy as it has been in the last week or two. I'm thinking that this is a good direction to take my hair care for the foreseeable future. Thanks for all the input :) You ladies are such a great resource
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I'm almost always glycerin free due to dye issues, but I have cut out most humectants this winter. Moisutre to the max is what I've been needing.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    I stop using glycerine in the winter for leave-ins for my kids, I still use in gels sometimes in Winter, like IC Fantasia, but not often and watered/aloe'd down since glycerine is high on the list. It just equals super dry hair for my kids, and dry hair for me if I don't moisture spray my hair at least twice a day when wearing gel that has glycerine (and moisture spray under the gel). To help keep the moisture in after glycerine-free leave-in we use Camellia Seed Oil.

We use glycerine freely in summer, spring and fall. Usually 1 part glycerine to 3 parts water/aloe.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
    Alright well now it's the end of the day and I must say that my glycerin-free styling routine seems to have helped. I've still got surface frizz much more than I'd like, but it's not nearly as dry looking or poofy as it has been in the last week or two. I'm thinking that this is a good direction to take my hair care for the foreseeable future. Thanks for all the input :) You ladies are such a great resource
    if i recall, it took a few days of not using the glycerine for my hair to fully "recover"
    My Photobucket Album
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    I cut glycerin out this winter based strictly on what others had said (I didn't start CG until November). I copied routines of curls I thought I was similar to. I was just following they're routines as much as I could. I found that no matter what I did I still had the dredded halo frizz. I recently started using KY Warming again in my hair as well as honeygar rinses and while I still have some halo frizz (which has always been there) my hair is extremly soft while being well defined. Without it my curls were all starting to mush together. I think for me if it's extremly dry (negative dew's) then I will try to stay away but otherwise I don't seem to have a negative affect from it.

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    :rolleyes:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcrazycurlz21%2F" class="Popup
    password:rupert
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I avoid it almost completely in the winter and don't use too much of it anytime.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I can use it in my rinse-out conditioners but that's it. My hair hates glycerin in the summer time, as it makes my hair extra poofy from the humidity. And now, I find out it hates it in the winter and dryness. I think I can only use it when the weather is perfect and I'm not into checking dewpoints and finding out when that is, so now I'm just not going to ever buy anything with glycerin in it again.
    You live, you learn.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    I avoid it almost completely in the winter and don't use too much of it anytime.

Same for me. Auntnett, I'm beginning to think we might have very similar hair...
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    In some ways it seems, but oh, man, I just wish my curls were half as beautifully formed as yours! I just looked at your recent picture on your blog where you said it looked even better in person - must've been truly gorgeous . . . I have some days when it does almost as well as the photo, but they're few and far between. I'm getting it cut Friday - a lot to get rid of most of my old chemical highlights - so maybe, from there I can keep improving it.

I've always lurked around MsG as a hair idol and now that I've seen yours, you're on the short list, too! I'll have to pay more attention to what you're using and doing now.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Why, thank you! I rarely think it looks all that great but I generally think it looks better than it did before CG. :)

I haven't seen yours but your avatar is pretty impressive!

Good luck with the haircut and let's stalk each other for ideas. :occasion5:
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl

jillipoo wrote: »
    Why, thank you! I rarely think it looks all that great but I generally think it looks better than it did before CG. :)

Why, thank you. Yes, let's :thumright: I'll certainly be checking out your blog more regularly.

Like you, mine generally is better, and I think looks better, since CG, but it always seems to me to fall just short of what I think it could be.

I have a Fotki but the few camera phone photos were all taken one day just to try to give someone who asked an idea of the color with henna and indigo. It was a strange hair day and the lighting is too dark, so I took it out of my signature for now. Even with the low lighting, it looks redder in the one clear one and in my avatar than it does in person. One of these days I'll get an actual digital camera and try to add some clearer ones.

www.fotki.com/auntnett/ PW: loopy

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    jillipoo wrote: »

Why, thank you. Yes, let's :thumright: I'll certainly be checking out your blog more regularly.

Like you, mine generally is better, and I think looks better, since CG, but it always seems to me to fall just short of what I think it could be.

I have a Fotki but the few camera phone photos were all taken one day just to try to give someone who asked an idea of the color with henna and indigo. It was a strange hair day and the lighting is too dark, so I took it out of my signature for now. Even with the low lighting, it looks redder in the one clear one and in my avatar than it does in person. One of these days I'll get an actual digital camera and try to add some clearer ones.

www.fotki.com/auntnett/ PW: loopy

Oh, I feel your pain. I have a VERY hard time photographing my hair. The light is never right. And then when it is and I have taken a great photo at last, I'll see a bald spot on my crown, delete the photo, and feel very, very old.

The photos I could make out in your Fotki show pretty hair, though!

In anticipation of the thaw towards Spring, I ordered my CK today.... Cant be caught unprepared8)
    My Photobucket Album
    I think I missed out on using something with glycerin today - the dew point was in the 30s today!!

Darnit!
    Central Massachusetts

I think I missed out on using something with glycerin today - the dew point was in the 30s today!!

Darnit!

Hey, all. Xcptnl is undoubtedly too modest to mention this, but you should see her fabulous hair on my blog today: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F02%2Fcold-weather-hair-care-day-four.html" class="Popup

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I'm still leery about the Glycerin. If I add a LI and use moisturizing stylers it seems to counteract the effects pretty well with my Condish but when I use a condish w/o Glycerin I do get less frizz. I'm still staying away from Stylers with Glycerin but Vegetable Glycerin is fine.

BTW I did see xcptnl on jilipoos blog ;) fab hair as usual
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I'm using glycerin now. But then it's really humid here. It's raining cats and dogs and has been for days.
    It is occasionally dry here but not often. I have zero frizz here inside the house. I'm not real prone to frizz as long as my hair is properly hydrated thankfully
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
    Just an update: I'm definitely noticing less frizz without the glycerine stylers. I guess that was the problem after all. I'm annoyed that it took me most of winter to figure out what the problem was!!
    Just an update: I'm definitely noticing less frizz without the glycerine stylers. I guess that was the problem after all. I'm annoyed that it took me most of winter to figure out what the problem was!!
    Dont be annoyed - now you know for next year!
    My Photobucket Album