Wrist pain?

DeljahDeljah Posts: 47Registered Users
I've a lot of pain in my right wrist. I've been to the doctor, who said it was common in new mothers. She expects it to go away and recommended a splint, which I'm wearing now. I've had an x-ray to rule out a hairline fracture. still waiting for my slow ass doctor to get the results. :angry5: I've started some ice and heat treatments at home.

Anyway, the condition I think I have is called De Quervain's tenosynovitis. Has anyone has this? If so, how did you handle it? I keep seeing info that says it resolves with treatment and after ceasing breastfeeding. Right now, I mainly breastfeed at bedtime and throughout the night.

My daughter is 4 months old and weighs almost 16 lbs.

Thanks!

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hurt my wrist really badly when my son was around 9 or 10 months old. I think the original diagnosis was what you have but it ended up being that I tore tendons and ligaments in my wrist. I never knew how I pulled it off. The docs were quite impressed with the injury. I can only assume that it had something to do with my son. I wore a splint on the wrist until I had surgery to repair the tears.

My tears showed up on MRI. Before that, they thought it might be a tumor. If your doc doesn't find anything now, you should request an MRI.

I hope it heals quickly for you.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • MimsTXMimsTX Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I actually have the same thing (but never had a baby lol). Mine recurrs without much warning, despite the fact that everything on the internet about it says it shouldn't really recurr.

Still, at the heart of it, it's a repetitive strain type injury. So as long as you're doing the same movements that are causing the issue (computer work and playing flute, for me) there's a chance you'll have a flair up :/

That's been my experience, anyways.

Best thing I can do for it when it DOES flair up is to splint it (for me, it's my thumb that causes the most issues, so I use a thumb splint. Others use a wrist splint though) and minimize EVERY movement with that hand as much as possible for a few days.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had carpal tunnel in the past, which is also a repetitive strain injury, and sometimes it's started to flare up again since having my daughter. I find that babywearing helps a lot because for me, the positions my wrist gets bent into while trying to hold my daughter with one hand can easily cause wrist pain.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Yep...my wrists have gotten worse since I had my daughter, but I've also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since then as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file