Amazing face wash routine!

Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
I have always suffered from moderate acne. And not just whiteheads, I had blackheads and the cystic pimples that hurt, always worse during my "time of the month". To add to that I suffer from eczema and it is on my cheeks. I have tried EVERYTHING. Proactive, Murad, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Aveeno, prescription medication, everything ever advertised, and NOTHING made a difference. I just kind of made peace with my bad skin.

A few months ago my mom started raving about this all-natural skin care routine that her and her friends were using. It was supposed to firm up your skin and even it out. It was taken from a book called "Beauty Secrets from the Bible". Her skin was looking great and, even though I figured I didn't need the same stuff for my 20's acne-prone skin as her 50's skin, I asked her what she was using. When she mentioned honey and olive oil I immediately dismissed it for myself. I looked at her and said "You want me to put honey and EVOO on my oily, acne prone face? Ya right." I thought for sure it would make me break out.

Right after New Year's I ran out of my $30 a bottle face wash and after using honey and olive oil in my hair with great results (thanks to all you on these boards) I decided it couldn't hurt. So my mom showed me what she used and how to do it. I started and by the first week I saw a HUGE difference in my skin. My eczema was getting better and I hadn't gotten even one new pimple. The ones I already had went away so fast and easy. I was shocked but still skeptical. I was waiting for the true test...my period. When it finally came I got 1 pimple. Not the typical 6 or more but 1. I can't believe what this has done for me. I wish I had before and after pics to show. The pimples I am getting now go away in a day and never get irritated but best of all I haven't gotten ANY cystic pimples. Amazing. Now that I am done rambling here is the recipe and routine. It is a bit modified from the book.

Blend equal parts dry oatmeal,dried goat's milk (I got mine at the local health foods store as my TJ didn't carry it), and flax seeds. Put in a jar with a lid.

Put a small amount of raw honey (regular honey was called for in the book but all my mom's friends had better experience with the raw) in a small container ex: an empty lip gloss pot w/lid.

Put VitaminE oil (the recipe calls for EVOO but I hate the smell and I needed the healing of the VitaminE) in an oil container with a stopper. I found mine for cheap at Ross.

Buy Rosewater in a spray bottle. They have it at TJ and Whole Foods.

Now you are ready...

Put on a headband so you don't get food in your hair.

Put a scoop of the dry mixture in your palm. Add a little water to make a wet paste. Apply all over your face and let it sit for about 5 minutes or until it feels like it has tightened up. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat dry.

Spritz face with rosewater.

Put a tiny amount of honey (about a fingertip) in your palm, spray it with rosewater and rub in your palms to "melt" it. Apply all over your face.

Spritz again with rosewater.

Put tiny dabs of oil on your face (about 3 or 4) and rub in all over to moisturize.

After that I spritz again but you don't have to. It does feel oily for a few minutes but it "sinks" in. I do the whole routine once a day and do a quick wash with the dry mix if I feel like I need to wash my face again. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it goes so fast and considering all the scrunching, plopping, etc. we do to our hair, it's easy to work the face routine in. Just try it. You probably have most of the ingredients at home already. It has changed my life. Hopefully some of you will love this as much as I do. Oh and sorry this post was so long. I have debated on wether to post this because of the length but It's official...I HAD to share my new love. Here is a pic of how I store my stuff.
High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Can you remove makeup with this?

Love your siggy...I wake up looking like Sideshow Bob, George Washington or sometimes a Kewpie doll... Actually the other day, I looked like Elvis. :)
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm glad it works for you. I would never put all that food on my face though. I need acids to keep my pores unclogged. Food and oils only fill them up.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    When I saw that quote I HAD to steal it as I look like that every morning. Oh elusive 2nd day hair...Elvis, huh? LOL

It'll remove your foundation I'm sure. I wear Bare Minerals if I even wear make-up at all and it's always come off fine but that's pretty easy to wash off anyway. You'll still have to use a make-up remover on your eyes though for sure.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Can you remove makeup with this?

Love your siggy...I wake up looking like Sideshow Bob, George Washington or sometimes a Kewpie doll... Actually the other day, I looked like Elvis. :)
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Doesn't seem that weird. I use or have used everything except the rosewater anyway (ETA: oops, forgot the goat's milk - haven't use it before, LOL). Until the last 100 years or so, those were the kinds of things everyone used.

I already occasionally do honey and/or oatmeal masques, do oatmeal scrubs, and I've been doing the oil cleansing method for a couple of months anyway, so maybe I need to put it all together. My breakouts are no worse with the OCM, but I still get some hormonal breakouts - maybe this would help.

When I first started reading your post, I was horrified that you were using olive oil on acne-prone skin since it's fairly comedogenic. I found that out in researching what oils to use for oil cleansing. Breathed a sigh of relief when I heard you used Vit. E instead. I've used it for seborrheic dermatitis, and it helps as it does with your exzema. I use sunflower with my castor oil w/the OCM, but I'd be willing to try E oil.

I may have to give your method a go and see if it helps, especially since I'm planning to go to Whole Foods tonight anyway. Like the OCM, it should be safe for both my seb derm and roseacea, so if it gets rid of any of the remaining acne, wonderful!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I started this routine today. We shall see.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Keep us posted. I didn't go to Whole Foods after all that day and then promptly forgot about it all.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    Keep us posted. I didn't go to Whole Foods after all that day and then promptly forgot about it all.

I will. My face is a disaster. I CANNOT take biotin. I even tried drinking a ton of water with it but it gives me cystic acne...yuck! And I had my face pretty cleared up until I started taking the biotin. It took a week but I started breaking out yesterday.

Anywho - I got everything last night except I messed up on the oil. I knew Jess used something other than EVOO but I could not remember what so I grabbed some grape seed oil in the 'beauty' section. I also have some emu oil - but I didn't use either this a.m.

I am also spot treating the bad spots with the raw honey as I read it can be used that way as well. You spot on the honey with a q-tip-let it dry for 10 minutes and then wipe off with a damp cotton ball.

I am rambling....I will stop now.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    I've used this off and on for a few weeks and my skin is much happier when I use it! I'm back and forth every week between the dorm and home, and it's just easier to use it when I'm at home. I actually got my mom hooked on it, which is pretty funny. Her skin is looking much better!

I was using Jason's Vitamin E oil blend instead of EVOO as the last step. It worked great on some scars I had, but after a few weeks I broke out. I think it was the wheat germ oil - it has a comedogenicity of 5. I'll be back to my full routine when school's over in a few weeks and I'm thinking about making my own vitamin E oil blend.

Anyway, big thanks to Jess for posting this! I got the book and it's awesome!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I will. My face is a disaster. I CANNOT take biotin. I even tried drinking a ton of water with it but it gives me cystic acne...yuck! And I had my face pretty cleared up until I started taking the biotin. It took a week but I started breaking out yesterday.

Anywho - I got everything last night except I messed up on the oil. I knew Jess used something other than EVOO but I could not remember what so I grabbed some grape seed oil in the 'beauty' section. I also have some emu oil - but I didn't use either this a.m.

I am also spot treating the bad spots with the raw honey as I read it can be used that way as well. You spot on the honey with a q-tip-let it dry for 10 minutes and then wipe off with a damp cotton ball.

I've been having good luck lately treating any spots with tea tree EO - I just dot it on with a q-tip. It usually takes the pain out of even those bad cystic ones by the next morning, and they're well on their way to drying up. I got it at Whole Foods. Don't like the smell at first, and the fumes kinda burns my eyes for a minute, but overall it's been worth it.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • DominoDomino Registered Users Posts: 287
    I think I'd like to try this routine. Lately I've been getting more acne than I used to, thanks to PCOS :-( but my only symptom is acne, so well...it could've been worse...

I cannot find dried goat's milk though, so I'll try the mix without it. The flax seeds, do you use whole or ground? And do you leave the honey on your skin?

Thanks for sharing this :)
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

Type: Mix of 1c/2c/3a , fine-ish medium, ii/iii, normal porosity
    Lenght: U-Shaped BSL
    Goal: Wavy and clumpy waist length hair
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Domino wrote: »
    I think I'd like to try this routine. Lately I've been getting more acne than I used to, thanks to PCOS :-( but my only symptom is acne, so well...it could've been worse...

I cannot find dried goat' smilk though, so I'll try the mix without it. The flax seeds, do you use whole or ground? And do you leave the honey on your skin?

The milk is really the cleansing agent. It's what really makes my skin feel soft (I know because I've tried it without the goat's milk!). The oatmeal/flax are more of a mask/scrub component. In the book she said it wasn't necessary to use goat's milk specifically, as long as the milk used had fat in it (so you don't want non-fat). If you have a Whole Foods or other health food store near you, they have goat's milk.

I use ground oatmeal and flax meal, so I didn't have to grind anything up.

Yes, you're supposed to leave the honey on your skin. It's not sticky if your face is wet and you don't overdo the honey. You can also just use it to spot treat.

Good luck! :)
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/

I cannot find dried goat' smilk though, so I'll try the mix without it. The flax seeds, do you use whole or ground? And do you leave the honey on your skin?

I found it in the cooking/baking section at Whole Foods - on the bottom shelf. I probably walked by it 5 times looking for it.
    Central Massachusetts

auntnett wrote: »

I've been having good luck lately treating any spots with tea tree EO - I just dot it on with a q-tip. It usually takes the pain out of even those bad cystic ones by the next morning, and they're well on their way to drying up. I got it at Whole Foods. Don't like the smell at first, and the fumes kinda burns my eyes for a minute, but overall it's been worth it.

After you posted this I went and looked because I was pretty sure I had some tea tree oil but I could not locate it. That stuff is really smelly huh? My daughter hated it when I was using it before - the bathroom smelled like it for hours! I will have to do a more extensive search of the missing tea tree oil.
    Central Massachusetts

Hey Jess, is this method still working for you? :)

And today I tried it with a tiny drop of honey and it still felt sticky...how much exactly are you using?

ETA: Wow my skin does feel smoother and better...and it's glowing :)
    :king: Priestess Brigit of the Moonlight Oracle in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :king:

I also spot treat with honey and it's great. A tiny little dab and the pimple is gone the next day.
    Hey Jess, is this method still working for you? :)

And today I tried it with a tiny drop of honey and it still felt sticky...how much exactly are you using?

ETA: Wow my skin does feel smoother and better...and it's glowing :)
    It's still working great. I'll never buy a facewash again. I've been using this for 4 months and I can't begin to tell you what a difference it's made. I rarely even wear makeup anymore. I get maybe 2 to 3 tiny zits a month that go away in less than 2 days. Plus I can see a considerable reduction in the amount of oil my skin produces.

I use maybe half a pea size of honey. I spritz my hand with rosewater, spritz my face with rosewater, put half a pea of honey in my spritzed palm, spritz on top of the honey then emulsify it in my hands. If I'm still sticky after the oil and such have dried I just spritz my face with rosewater again. I notice I get sticky if I've been too light on my VitE oil. HTH and glad you all are trying it. Let me know how you like it after a while.

Thank you :)

It sounds like we have similar skin types, so I'm quite excited about this routine. I'll try it with less honey tonight.

Do you think I can do this twice a day, or would it be too much?

Thank you :)

It sounds like we have similar skin types, so I'm quite excited about this routine. I'll try it with less honey tonight.

Do you think I can do this twice a day, or would it be too much?
    I usually do it in the morning and then if I feel too oily at night I'll use the mix as a quick wash and dab honey on any spot that might need it. I haven't gotten dried out or irritated at all. My mom does it 2x a day without problem. I just find that I don't need as much moisture as her.

My face was so irritated and even doing this for the past 2 days has made the irritation subside a lot! I figured I would start with 2x a day which has caused no issues so far. Last night I was a little sticky-got carried away with the honey but I let it be-I figured the honey would do more good than harm.

Thanks Jess for posting this!
    Central Massachusetts

So far it looks good...I did get 2 new pimples, but they are tiny ones and the odds are I was going to get them anyway. Right now my priority is the cyst on my chin, this is the first time I ever got a cyst but it seems to be forming a whitehead after 3 days, so this routine must be working. I'm also spot treating those with honey.

Jess, did you get a few little pimples too when you first started this routine? Just to make sure I'm on the right track...because I have extreme oil sensitivities and I'm only using a very tiny drop of sweet almond oil after the honey. However, my skin doesn't really need more moisture, so I think I'll skip that step...

Domino I already had pimples so I didn't notice anymore. I usually always get a few pimples at the start of any routine though, I'm pretty sure that's normal. Xcptnl I'm so glad it's working for you.

I'm on vacation this week and while my skin usually freaks out in new climates, especially humid like I'm in now, I have NO pimples and it's that time of the month. I never imagined my skin could be this way. Traveling with homemade stuff was a bit of challenge though :)

Well...I had to stop using the dry mix, I think the milk powder was breaking out my skin. But I'm still using the rosewater, honey and oil, and this really makes my skin feel good. I'm also planning to add vinegar to this routine sometime.

Sorry the dry mix didn't work for you but I'm glad you found some things about it you liked and want to keep.

Thank you for posting this routine Jess, my skin is getting better and better even without the dry mix :joker:

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Very interesting! I might have to try this over the summer, if my skin keeps bothering me.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    OK, so I tried this... My face feels good, but my flax seed/oatmeal/milk paste doesn't cover my face too well. And I end up dropping a lot of seeds in the sink. I tried playing with the amounts of water to make a good pasty-type paste, but it was either too thin or not spreadable. Maybe ground flax seeds would work better?

And has this all clogged your sink at all?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Did you blend the mixture in a food processor? Sorry, I went back and it seems I wasn't too clear on that one. Oops :-?

Hee, nope. I thought about that. I'll make sure to do that.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

It works much better now. Thanks!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Jess, what kind of acne did you have prior to this routine? Can you give a full description, like what aggravated it and how often you would get new pimples?

Hehe, I'm thinking of trying this routine again :joker:

PS
    I have PCOS related acne at 18 and I'm already tired of it...

• mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur
    I have discovered Purpose recently and loved it so much on my face that I'm using it on my body today. It leaves the most amazing feeling on my face after washing. But it's not cheap.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file