Things you miss from your childhood.

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I miss strings on the hoodies. How are you suppose to keep a hood on your child when the wind blows 40 mph and there is nothing to tighten it. I know the reason they were removed but still...we need something to replace them...velcro perhaps.

Can you think of anything else we had during our childhood that is now gone?

Comments

• PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I hear ya on the hoodies!

I miss metal playground equipment and playgrounds without mulch. Bring back the concrete! I don't miss broken arms or 2nd degree burns on the back of my thighs, though! :)
    3c/4a
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Stouffers chocolate chip pound cake. It made my childhood a true delight.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What I miss isn't "gone" to the world but "gone" to me... I miss the absolute daring I used to have. No fear of getting hurt because I didn't think that far beyond the end of my nose to worry about hurting myself.

I also miss:

- jumping and rolling in piles of fall leaves
    - snuggling on the couch with my dad to read a book
    - my mom's cool cheek on my forehead when I'm sick
    - wresting on the floor with my sister and our childhood dog

:sad1:
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    eche428 wrote: »
    What I miss isn't "gone" to the world but "gone" to me... I miss the absolute daring I used to have. No fear of getting hurt because I didn't think that far beyond the end of my nose to worry about hurting myself.

ITA. I used to swing sooooo high, almost in line with the top of the swing set, then jump off. I am often surprised how I survived my own childhood. The stuff I used to do. . .

I miss my snoopy piggy bank.

Simon memory game

my plastic record player, you know the ones that played plastic records.

Toy wise, I miss a lot of stuff I never got. Once or twice I've bought one now that I'm older, but it's not the same.

playing in the rain

thinking the pot hole outside my house was a real dinosaur foot print. Seriously it looked like one.

leaf forts

super secret clubhouses

the scariest thing in the world was the rusty iron leg brace in the loft of our garage.

I always wanted to be in gymnastics. But my parents couldn't afford it. So I made up my own little parrallel bar routine on the monkey bars that I thought was pretty cool. I still remember it, but I'm afraid my bum is not narrow enough to fit between the bars anymore.

We lived in the country with no neighbors for a little while. We made this game to play while our parents were out at night. It's like hide and seek, but played in complete darkness, AND you had to be able to identify the person without moving your hand.

While at the same house. We had a wild rabbit that lived in our yard. I tried to catch it. . . . bugs bunny style, with a cardboard box propped up on a stick with a string attached and a carrot inside. I was so sad every time it didn't work. I was only 6.

Talking the guy who owned the ice cream shop into giving me a "free" cone for wiping down the tables and thinking I was getting away with something.

One time, my sister and I were expert hypnotists. Of course being experts we knew exactly what we needed and what we were doing. All you needed was about 5 lbs of jewelry and rocks on a necklace held together with scotch tape. Then have the person lay down and you swing the 5 lb necklace right over their eyes while saying "you are ggeetttingg vvveerrrryyy sleeepppyyyy!" Looking back, I'm not sure if there's ever been a time where I've ever been as sure about anything then when I was a kid doing "magic" stuff. I miss that. Just knowing it, then doing it, even if it seems weird.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Oh my goodness! I love simon memory game!!

And I thought the manhole in front of my house was a hole that the boogie man came out from.

I miss my snoopy shaved ice maker.

I miss the forts that me and my brother would make out of the couch cushions and sheets.

I miss the hula hoop. (i should get get myself one)

I miss roller skating rinks (i haven't seen one in forever)

I miss walking home from school with my friends.

I miss going over to my best friend from birth's house so that we could go swimming and slide down her slide. When we couldn't be friends because I was an inconsiderate person (i can admit it now) I would sneak over to her house and we would make a picnic on the wooden deck over that was up against to her window.

I miss that.

I miss swinging on the burning metal horizontal bar during recess, with my leg wrapped around it, going in circles and circles. Or sitting on that thing twirling myself in circles.

Hopscotch. And using pieces of the school roof shingles (or whatever that was) as our markers.

And the pogo ball. I loved that bad boy!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
    Making tents by attaching sheets to the ends of the bed frames with rubber bands.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I miss strings on the hoodies. How are you suppose to keep a hood on your child when the wind blows 40 mph and there is nothing to tighten it. I know the reason they were removed but still...we need something to replace them...velcro perhaps.

That is exactly what they've replaced it with - Velcro. DS's winter coat has these fabric/elastic tabs with velcro on the end. When you pull them and adhere the velcro, it cinches the hood so that it stays on more securely.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlymix wrote: »
    Oh my goodness! I love simon memory game!!

And I thought the manhole in front of my house was a hole that the boogie man came out from.

I miss my snoopy shaved ice maker.

I miss the forts that me and my brother would make out of the couch cushions and sheets.

I miss the hula hoop. (i should get get myself one)

I miss roller skating rinks (i haven't seen one in forever)

I miss walking home from school with my friends.

I miss going over to my best friend from birth's house so that we could go swimming and slide down her slide. When we couldn't be friends because I was an inconsiderate person (i can admit it now) I would sneak over to her house and we would make a picnic on the wooden deck over that was up against to her window.

I miss that.

I miss swinging on the burning metal horizontal bar during recess, with my leg wrapped around it, going in circles and circles. Or sitting on that thing twirling myself in circles.

Hopscotch. And using pieces of the school roof shingles (or whatever that was) as our markers.

And the pogo ball. I loved that bad boy!

I forgot about that!
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

That is exactly what they've replaced it with - Velcro. DS's winter coat has these fabric/elastic tabs with velcro on the end. When you pull them and adhere the velcro, it cinches the hood so that it stays on more securely.

Hmmm...I wonder why they don't put the velcro on all the hoodie coats and sweatshirts. None of my son's has velcro. He or I are constantly pulling them up. Annoying.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    oregon trail- the computer game
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My brother bought me one of the Snoopy ice shaver things last year so they still make them. My mom never let us have anything that might possibly make any kind of mess or need adult supervision and those were always exactly the things I wanted.
    CGNYC wrote: »
    My brother bought me one of the Snoopy ice shaver things last year so they still make them. My mom never let us have anything that might possibly make any kind of mess or need adult supervision and those were always exactly the things I wanted.

yeah I bought one for my great grandma a few years back. She very much enjoyed the snow cones in her last days.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    My sock monkey, I loved that thing. Having no shame and being a total tomboy. Not worrying about getting hurt and going for my long bike rides into the forest and going up into an abandoned tree fort I found. I'm sure there is a lot more I cannot recall.
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    Oh goodness, I miss:

1.) My imaginary friends...

2.) Going to the park every day with my cousin Eric and not going back to his house until night time (the park was basically in the backyard of his neighbor)...

3.) I miss not having to pay bills...

4.) I miss how calm and peaceful the world seemed (it did to me at least).

5.) I miss my snow cone maker...

6.) Watching the GOOD cartoons on Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc: Looney Tunes, Animanics, Pinky and the Brain, Allegra's Window, Eureeka's Castle, Gullah Gullah Island, Ducktales, Gumby, Secret World of Alex Mack...I could go on and on and on ;-)

7.)Not doing anything but playing all day.

8.)All of my toys...

I could go on and on....
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I miss: Pinwheel pinwheel spinning around, look at my pinwheel and see what I found. Pinwheel pinwheel where have you been? Hello how are you, and may I come in?

I watched that one as a little girl. DOn't remember the show, just the song.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    [
    We lived in the country with no neighbors for a little while. We made this game to play while our parents were out at night. It's like hide and seek, but played in complete darkness, AND you had to be able to identify the person without moving your hand.

In my neck of the woods, this game was fondly referred to as: "Murder In the Dark." (Lovely huh?)

I miss: Slumber Parties, No worries, Leisure time, Laying out in the sun with no thought to cancer or wrinkles, no cellulite, eating junk food all day (my parent's didn't care what I ate)....

Most of all: Keebler Magic Middle cookies. I have actually written Keebler numerous times a/b these cookies....They were discontinued for some stupid reason.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote: »

I SO wanted a snoopy snow cone machine and never got one. The power of advertising is strong!

I had this instead (which actually was a better choice)

I miss hours of endless, unstructured play. I had fun playing outside in the woods or alone in my room.
    shellibean wrote: »
    cympreni wrote: »
    [

In my neck of the woods, this game was fondly referred to as: "Murder In the Dark." (Lovely huh?)

I miss: Slumber Parties, No worries, Leisure time, Laying out in the sun with no thought to cancer or wrinkles, no cellulite, eating junk food all day (my parent's didn't care what I ate)....

Most of all: Keebler Magic Middle cookies. I have actually written Keebler numerous times a/b these cookies....They were discontinued for some stupid reason.

We called it the zombie game. I'm not sure who came up with it or if it was what everyone called it. I was pretty young.

I used to live at the pool. The lifeguards were my babysitters. I was in line when they opened, and they'd kick me out to close up every single day during the summer. I never wore sunscreen, back then, people usually wore the opposite. I got burned so bad a few times I couldn't even take my suit off. I ate all my meals at the concession stand. I'd lay out on the sea-saws, climb trees or feed the geese popcorn (mistake I know, I learned the hard way) during the manditory breaks.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Oh, I loved Magic Middles, too Shellibean!

I miss my old Amiga computer and the Cinemaware games like "It Came From the Desert!" and "Rocket Ranger".

My sisters and I used to come up with all kinds of crazy games. We used to pretend a vampire lived in my closet. LOL We played murder and detective a lot, too.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file