chlorine and cowashing?

ale2121ale2121 Registered Users Posts: 4
hi, so I'm a swimmer, and noticed that you're supposed to wash with either apple cider vinegar or something after swimming in chlorine. But, also you're only allowed to do that once a week? I swim about 3x a week. should I do the apple cider vinegar after each swim?

Comments

• CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Here's what you do for swimming. Wet hair in shower first. Apply ample condish to hair before swimming and ponytail or swim cap it. If it is going to be an extended trip like a day at the pool or beach, mix condish and water in a spray bottle and spray your hair on occasion. Do not rinse condish out before swimming. The conditioner will help protect your hair from the chlorine.

When done swimming, rinse hair thoroughly, wash with condish and style as usual. Make sure you do a deep treatment once to twice a week, depending on how dry it might get.

Do not do ACV rinses a lot. It is made for the occasional build up removal. Using it too much will end up stripping your hair and doing damage.

HTH
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • ale2121ale2121 Registered Users Posts: 4
    oh! this is genius. thanks! I didn't even think to do that.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Pool owners typically do;n't like it when people put conditioner in their hair before swimming...it clogs their drains and is expensive to upkeep. A swim cap may or may not work for you. You can try it and see...some people say it works great for them; others say water still seeps through.
    I hate to be the "evil" one here, but really, I don't think there is a substitute to good ol fashioned shampooing when we're talking about chlorine. Chlorine is so damaging to the hair...way more than any sulfate will ever be. I know people are going to throw rotten eggs at me, but that is really going to get all the chlorine out.
    You could try the swim cap and if chlorine still gets in your hair, then shampoo...so maybe you won't need to shampoo if the swim cap thing works.
    Putting conditioner on your hair will slow the process of chlorine seeping through to your hair, but it doesn't completely keep it out. To me, though, it's an ethical decision. I don't want to damage someone's pool, just so I can avoid shampoo.
    ACV rinses do not clarify hair...they close the cuticle. So, they are helpful, but not really in this case.
    Again, people are going to disagree with me here and throw rotten vegetables at me...but I strongly believe what I'm saying.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    Now, if you're on the beach and dealing with sea water; that's different. You don't need a sulfate to wash that out...sand and salt can come out with a CO wash just fine.

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
  • ale2121ale2121 Registered Users Posts: 4
    i have tried the swim cap, it totally doesn't work. my hair is soaked. Honestly, this is a huge public pool where the water is cycled by the minute. I doubt the conditioner is gonna do any damage to the pool. If little kids can pee in the pool, i can wear conditioner under my swim cap.
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    From Live Curly, Live Free:
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Chlorine Buster[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It is always a good idea to rinse your hair with plain water prior to entering any swimming pool to prevent chlorine water from penetrating into your hair shaft; however, this remedy will help reverse any chlorine damage to unprotected hair.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 1 egg, beaten[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 2 tablespoons olive oil[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif] 1/4 cup pureed, peeled cucumber[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Massage well into hair from scalp to ends, then cover with a plastic processing cap. Process for 30 minutes hour at room temperature, then cleanse hair with a non-sulfate cleanser.[/FONT]
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
    ale2121 wrote: »
    i have tried the swim cap, it totally doesn't work. my hair is soaked. Honestly, this is a huge public pool where the water is cycled by the minute. I doubt the conditioner is gonna do any damage to the pool. If little kids can pee in the pool, i can wear conditioner under my swim cap.

Urine doesn't clog drains like goopy, conditioned hair. Conditioner get the water oily and can mess with the Ph balance.
    Do what you wish. I personally would ask first before doing something like that, though.

Again, conditioner might slow down the penetration of chlorine into the hair shaft, but I don't think it completely blocks it. You might end up needing to shampoo anyways, defeating your whole purpose anyways.
    And if the cap isn't blocking the water, then why even wear it...water is still circulating in and out of it.

I understand wanting to be gentle with hair and taking care of it...what I don't understand is this fear of shampoo and yet you will expose yourself to chlorine.

3a/3b
  • jennycurljennycurl Registered Users Posts: 35
    i go to aquasize twice a week and also worried about what the pool would do to my hair ... sooo drying .well i founds this great condish by Aubrey organics it's called swimmer's
    normalizing conditioner for active lifestyles.
    and it is nice and thick and has no cones . now i have only used it once but so far so good!! my hair is looking great today !http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/images/smilies/hello2.gifanyways it is worth a try ,it was about 13 dollars
    but you don't need alot, because it is soo thick. hope this helps!
    :blob6::blob6:cg
    conditioner only 3a/:wav::wave: 3b chin length curls .
    cut it myself
    color myself
    lots of homemade deep treatments
    love tresseme naturals conditioner!
  • jennycurljennycurl Registered Users Posts: 35
    sorry i meant to tell you, i just wet my hair down berfor the pool, then condish when i get out and i leave it in for about 3 mins or soo.
    :blob6::blob6:cg
    conditioner only 3a/:wav::wave: 3b chin length curls .
    cut it myself
    color myself
    lots of homemade deep treatments
    love tresseme naturals conditioner!
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I work as a pool manager during the summer and I can tell you with 100% confidence that it's ok to use conditioner in the water. Your tiny amount of conditioner doesn't affect the grand scheme of our chemicals, and most pools these days use automated chemical feeders anyway, so it causes no extra pain on those of us who work there in that regard. Our big concern with that would be that goup like conditioner and sunscreen gets stuck to the tiles in what we affectionately refer to as the scum line. At well maintained pools, you won't notice it. But at poorly maintained pools, you can see a line of dark gunk stuck the tiles just above water level. That is a combo of the oils and lotions and various other things on people that stick to the tiles because of the polarity of the water. So the worst thing you'll do to the pool is increase the speed with which the scum builds up. But a good pool staff cleans tiles around bi-weekly anyway, so it's not an issue

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file