Patience and Mail Ordering (aka. Stinky-Poo Meow Cosmetics)

realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
On Wednesday afternoon I ordered foundation from Meow Cosmetics. Just one small container. I paid $20 for overnight shipping b/c I realized I was running low. Is it unreasonable for me to expect it to have been delivered by Saturday? I had to go to the mall and buy different makeup this weekend and I'm kind of frustrated. How long should I wait before I complain to them? When I do call them should I ask for reimbursement? Seriously, I paid $20 for shipping and this munchkin of makeup usually comes in a small padded envelope. :hmph:
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
-Henry David Thoreau

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I do mail-order all the time (rarely shop in stores!) I had something similar happen with another company and they did reimburse me for the shipping cost.

Yes, you should definitely call them. First of all, with overnight, it should have been to you no later than Friday (at worst, your Wednesday order would have been filled on Thursday and in your hands on Friday with overnight shipping). Second, did they e-mail you with tracking information? If they did, track it so that you can discuss when you placed the order, when it left their hands and what its status is now.

It's possible that there are disclaimers on their site stating it takes them 48 hours to process an order, etc. before they would sent it. But still, if they have good cust svc, they should reimburse you for the $20 overnight shipping cost.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    Especially with a small company like Meow, no, I don't think it's time to complain yet.

Paying for overnight shipping is paying for the actual postal service to move quickly. The order processing, however, is a different part of the process and usually no matter what kind of shipping you've requested, your actual order is still processed in the order it was received.

I know, that seems weird, but it's pretty standard. Many many years ago I dealt with another MMU brand that was a one woman operation. I asked her if I paid a premium on top of overnight shipping, could I get my order moved to the front of the line? She said no.

My company is a distributor for a major player in my industry. Overnight shipping is one thing, but when we order parts from the manufacturer, if we truly want it the next day, we have to pay an expedite fee on top of the overnight shipping so that the person who gets the order literally stops what they're doing, walks down to the warehouse, physically takes the part off the shelf, and labels it for shipping. Rather than the order just getting placed in the stack with all the other orders.

They're two totally separate processes and paying for one doesn't mean you get the other.

Now, I don't buy from Meow, so I don't know if the $20 you paid said it would cover expedited order processing or not. If it did, then that's a different story. But unless it explicitly said you'd get expedited processing, you probably won't. That just means that when it DOES go in the mail, it'll get to you the next day. But it says nothing about how quickly it'll get TO the mail.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • spoiledcoilsspoiledcoils Registered Users Posts: 145
    Just to add to what Michelle said, I found this on the Meow website:

When can I expect to receive my order, how quickly will it be ready to ship? Remember that we will frequently formulate your items *after* you submit your order. As a result, orders can take up to 5 days to prepare and ship, but this is rare. Most orders will ship sooner, typically within 3-5 days .

Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

:love5:
    Working on repairing my spoiled coils!

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I'd be inclined to call or e-mail them anyway. They might refund the extra shipping cost. Just be nice about it and see what they say.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    I agree. I think that when someone pays $20 for overnight shipping, they aren't expecting to wait about a week for their order to arrive from the time they place it, even if the company's internal processing time is stated on the website.
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm usually very lenient with shipping times, BUT, overnight means overnight. You paid dearly for the service and you didn't get it. You should have received it by Friday, if you ordered in the afternoon on Wednesday. No leniency. I'd call and complain immediately.
    Overnight shipping means overnight shipping, nothing more. What spoiled coils posted about what's on their website only makes the distinction between order processing and order shipping that much clearer.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    Update:
    I just received a shipping notification. Does USPS Express mean overnight?

So I will be receiving it a week or more later. I emailed them and respectfully conveyed that I am a little miffed. And I also payed $25 for overnight shipping (not $20). Now I'm not questioning whether I should be annoyed, I'm really irritated. I'll let you know what they say.

Also, they don't have a phone number. :eyeroll:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    -Henry David Thoreau
    Just to add to my previous post:
    I would totally be pissed too if it was taking this long, especially having paid so much, but at the same time, they have posted the disclaimer on their website that packages may not go out for up to 5 days so I'm not sure if they'll do anything about it.

Either way, I'm sorry that your makeup is taking so long to get to you!
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    I would think that the $25 includes handling. Quick handling.

I would complain.
    Pee-Yew! Their customer service stinks.

I told them that I thought the overnight shipping option was misleading and that I was disappointed with how my order was handled. They basically said- Sorry. Next time try emailing us after you place your order and we can process it sooner.

As though I pay overnight each time. And as if I am ever going to be ordering from them again. Very unprofessional. :roll:
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    realistic wrote: »

I told them that I thought the overnight shipping option was misleading and that I was disappointed with how my order was handled. They basically said- Sorry. Next time try emailing us after you place your order and we can process it sooner.

As though I pay overnight each time. And as if I am ever going to be ordering from them again. Very unprofessional. :roll:

I don't blame you. As much as I love their makeup, it really is inexcusable that they didn't "notice" an overnight order without an email.
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318

I'm sorry you're having a lousy experience with your Meow order. I can totally relate as I do a heck of alot of online ordering from various companies, including Meow. I've had great customer service experience from Meow so far but there is one skincare company that has lost my business forever due to horrible customer service.

Having said that, I do think you misunderstood their shipping policy. As spoiledcoils pointed out, they clearly state their shipping policy, which is not to be confused with handling, which can take a few days. If their website advertised "Overnight Shipping & Handling", then that's another thing altogether and you would have every right to complain and request a refund.

In this instance it would have been nice for Meow to refund the shipping charges purely to establish good faith and hopefully a repeat and loyal customer. I'm sorry they didn't do that for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, if you're looking for a new MMU company, I've always been super impressed with Everyday Minerals! Even with regular shipping to Canada, I usually get my order within a week.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

Well, if you're looking for a new MMU company, I've always been super impressed with Everyday Minerals! Even with regular shipping to Canada, I usually get my order within a week.
    I have always wanted to try EM! They have a free sample kit right?
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • VanedaVaneda Registered Users Posts: 402

Yeah that does stink.

I really love Meow's foundations and their eyeshadows but I, too, had a not-so-great experience with their customer service in the past, so I can definitely sympathize :disgust:
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

I have always wanted to try EM! They have a free sample kit right?

They sure do! You just pay shipping (which is like $3). The samples are pretty generous, too. I made one little container last about 2-3 weeks.

I LOVE Everyday Minerals. I have crazy sensitive skin and it's the only MMU I've tried that doesn't make me burn and itch. Also, their brushes are really nice and soft unlike others I've had in the past.

Their make up is also pretty inexpensive. I bought a large pot for $12 which will definitely last me until the summer, if not longer, and the flat top brush (which is my favourite brush ever in life) for $10.

I would highly recommend checking them out!
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

• alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I also recommend getting samples from Everyday Minerals. For $3, it's definitely worth a try.

If nothing else, the little containers the samples come in are great for travel! I used them on a quick business trip to Vegas because I much prefer my cosmetics and skin care be in my carry-on. God forbid it would be in lost luggage. :shock:
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    Update:
    I just received a shipping notification. Does USPS Express mean overnight?

So I will be receiving it a week or more later. I emailed them and respectfully conveyed that I am a little miffed. And I also payed $25 for overnight shipping (not $20). Now I'm not questioning whether I should be annoyed, I'm really irritated. I'll let you know what they say.

Also, they don't have a phone number. :eyeroll:
    I am sorry that this happened to you. Looks like not only might they be losing you as a customer, but you are helping others to be aware of their less than spectacular cust svc -- I certainly won't give them my business and I've had them bookmarked and gotten their e-mails for a long time. While it may have been an oversight on your part, in this economy, the company is rather stupid to lose you as a customer when there are *tons* of competitors out there. They should have given you some sort of an adjustment for the high shipping cost, or offered you a discount on your next purchase. Companies that think customers are disposable, especially in this economy, are not worth doing business with. JMO.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I know this is not the point, but I can't imagine paying $25 for shipping on something. I don't care if it materialized in front of me immediately.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    misspam wrote: »

I'm sorry you're having a lousy experience with your Meow order. I can totally relate as I do a heck of alot of online ordering from various companies, including Meow. I've had great customer service experience from Meow so far but there is one skincare company that has lost my business forever due to horrible customer service.

Having said that, I do think you misunderstood their shipping policy. As spoiledcoils pointed out, they clearly state their shipping policy, which is not to be confused with handling, which can take a few days. If their website advertised "Overnight Shipping & Handling", then that's another thing altogether and you would have every right to complain and request a refund.

In this instance it would have been nice for Meow to refund the shipping charges purely to establish good faith and hopefully a repeat and loyal customer. I'm sorry they didn't do that for you.

I know what you mean.
    My point is if they think anyone looks at the overnight shipping option and thinks that their package will arrive to them in 8+ days, then they are on crack. And the disclaimer spoiled coils posted is on an entirely separate page (FAQ, I believe) not on the page where you choose the shipping. That's why I found it misleading.

BTW- if anyone's interested, I still have not received the friggin' makeup.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    misspam wrote: »

I know what you mean.
    My point is if they think anyone looks at the overnight shipping option and thinks that their package will arrive to them in 8+ days, then they are on crack. And the disclaimer spoiled coils posted is on an entirely separate page (FAQ, I believe) not on the page where you choose the shipping. That's why I found it misleading.

BTW- if anyone's interested, I still have not received the friggin' makeup.

I think that's inexcusable. Were you able to speak to someone about this? I might follow up again and see if you go higher up the food chain.

Besides, it would be easy for them to let you know that overnight shipping does not mean overnight processing; just put it in the same place. Duh! The duh is for them, not you.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    babywavy wrote: »
    I know this is not the point, but I can't imagine paying $25 for shipping on something. I don't care if it materialized in front of me immediately.

I'm glad it was only water I shot out of my nose when I read this....
    Stolen.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Have you received your makeup?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Thanks for asking! I received an "Oops we missed you" slip yesterday from the post office, so yesterday was the actual delivery date. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Didn't have a chance to make it to the post office today and the mailman didn't try to redeliver it. I'd say this saga is pretty much over. :lol:
    -Henry David Thoreau

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file