How long does it take...

My hair is feeling a little goofy right now, I started going CG on the 19th and I've had to CO wash my hair more often than I would usually wash with shampoo because my hair feels really odd. It's been curling a bit more, just some waves and I don't have frizz, but my hair is feeling a bit dry and...crunchy? I don't even usually put any product in it but it's just not behaving. Will this go away as my hair gets used to not having the 'cones in it? I'd like to have soft hair again :[

Comments

• artc34artc34 Registered Users Posts: 12
    I've heard a lot of people in the community say it can take anywhere from seeing immediate results to waiting 6 weeks for results...and anywhere in between?

What products are you using? After my very first co-wash, I posted the products I was using in order to get some much needed troubleshooting from more expert members (of which I am not, but I'm hoping they'll come to the rescue here!)
    New to CG (as of 2/14/09). 2a/3a hair.

Current routine:
    Low poo (every other wash): Giovanni TTT
    Co-wash: Giovanni TTT, V05 Moisture Milks, Tigi MM
    Styling: Homemade spray gel w/ FX Curl Booster

STILL SEARCHING FOR NO HUMECTANT, LIGHTWEIGHT PRODUCTS!

• necromanticizenecromanticize Registered Users Posts: 21
    My co-wash is White Rain Ocean Mist and my rinse out conditioner is BioInfusion Organic Strenghten & Repair conditioner- eucalyptus and lavender. If I use a gel it is Back to Basics Curl Activating Gel.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is feeling a little goofy right now, I started going CG on the 19th and I've had to CO wash my hair more often than I would usually wash with shampoo because my hair feels really odd. It's been curling a bit more, just some waves and I don't have frizz, but my hair is feeling a bit dry and...crunchy? I don't even usually put any product in it but it's just not behaving. Will this go away as my hair gets used to not having the 'cones in it? I'd like to have soft hair again :[

i feel the same way! My hair looks bad (at least to me) and it feels weird sometimes, and i also have been cowashing more often that i had planned to. My hair has been frizzy (which it usually never really was) and is still crunchy (something i have been trying to so away with)! I want to have nice soft hydrated curls but no matter what i do, its still looks dry and hard. ::sigh::

good luck to us both!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    the same thing happened with my hair too. i tried wahing with only conditioner, but my hair never really got clean. i have dandruff and with the co-wash, i could never get the dandruff out and my hair felt hard and unclean. i went back to using shampoo and my hair was soft and i was able to get a flake free scalp and keep it flake free for a week.

what im saying is maybe your hair doesnt like the no poo routine. you should do the co-wash for a little longer to see if your hair adjusts. but if it doesnt, you should probably start using shampoo again ( i use a moisterizing shampoo). if the shampoo didnt dyr out your hair before, it shouldnt dry it out now. at least you tried.
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • k_vssyk_vssy Registered Users Posts: 240
    You need to really scrub your scalp with the conditioner to get it clean. It can take several weeks to start seeing results. The first month I was poo-less I had to use baking soda or lemon juice mixed with conditioner several times to get rid of the greasies. You also can mix brown sugar with your conditioner to scrub your scalp if you need to. I assume you are scrunching out the crunch from your gel so your hair doesn't stay crunchy? Using leave in under your gel can also help it to be less crunchy. I did notice your conditioner contains glycerin, which some people find causes frizziness in the winter if it's dry. Humectants can make hair frizzier when the weather is dry, so if you're using it as a leave in it could cause problems. An ACV can also help the cuticle on your hair lie flat. Some of the ingredients in the back to basics gel are also a bit odd-the peg-castor oil can cause problems for some people, and weirdest of all, it includes a sulfate! You might want to try another gel...a cheap one that lots of people like is the Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, Body Envy, or Set me Up depending on the level of hold you like. Also, there's protein in one of your conditioners. I can't tell you much about protein sensitivity because it's not something I've experience, but people have said if you have problems with protein it makes your hair feel straw-like in the shower. I hope this at least gives you some ideas to experiment. Try some different products and techniques...I hope things work out for you. It took me a while, but I really like CG for my hair.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    My hair feels totally great in the shower and it even starts to curl when it dries, but it just has such an odd texture. Even if I don't use a leave in or gel it feels...strange. It's hard to describe...after I shower tomorrow I will try to describe it. It's not dry or crunchy really, but it's not soft like it used to be when it curled.
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    It took my hair about 3 months to get to where I wanted it on the CG routine. Most of it was just trial and error as to what my hair liked. Even though the book called for only CO washing twice a week at the most, I actually CO washed everyday for the first two weeks until my scalp got use to the change. Then I gradually cut back. Now I CO wash my scalp once a week or twice if I get filthy from yard work or something.

My hair can handle a little protein, but not too much. My hair can handle a little glycerin, but not too much. My hair likes a decent amount of oil towards the ends.

A lot of the poofy, dull, or dry reports sound like there may be protein build up. Stop using products with any protein and see if it improoves.

I know a lot of people way back when I first came here said that the Jessicurl Products were good for problems with protein.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
    Yeah, I definitely have been washing much more often than usual...normally I can go only once a week washing but now it's been more like every day to every other day.
    I was looking at the Jessicurls products and they all look so nice...I've been thinking about getting some when my stuff runs out. Maybe it will help?
  • kayemmkay159kayemmkay159 Registered Users Posts: 171
    i'm confused... won't lemon juice just dry your hair out more?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file