CurlTalk

One Good Thing about the United States is...

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
Name one good thing about the United States of America.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
CoWash: various
DT: various

Leave-in
: CR L/I Collection, various
Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Great idea for a thread!

We're free to disagree with the government.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    We can also disagree with each other.
    We can choose to worship (or not) as we please.
    We do anything with our lives that we want to as long as we're not interfering with someone else's life (now, can someone please explain that to my MIL?!?!??!)
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Diversity--of the people, the land, our cultures--everything.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    It's huge land-wise and every region has it's own unique culture.

Barbecue sauce. :hello1:

Baseball and basketball and futbol americano! :hello1:

Entrepreneurship.
    3c/4a
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    It's gorgeous terrain.
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Freedom of speech!

Tons of awesome food!

Full of cool places...

I could go on
  • Vagabond DavotchkaVagabond Davotchka Banned Posts: 156Banned Users
    I hate the military but without them I don't think I would be able to have the freedom to say I hate the military.

I hate cops too.
    But at least they are not as corrupt as in Brazil and Mexico and some other places. They are still the first peeps I gonna when there is trouble.

I hate lawyers.
    But lawyers have fought some very important rights such as the right for me to say I hate lawyers.

And it's an okay place to be if you poor, hungry, homeless, and disabled. There are worse places to be if you are any of that. Far worse places to be.
    Veteran Napp! 12 years Strong!

MX-1-1.jpg?t=12369721561749858504-7528b-1-1-1.jpg?t=1236972254
    My most admired and favorite felons!
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Freedom of speech is a good, good thing.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    We have a great higher education system.

Every four years, we have a peaceful transition of power. We can respectfully and legally protest and criticize the government.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    Because I live here and I like it here!
    This actually is a good thread...but sometimes I wonder why we have to defend ourselves so much. I think there are other great countries too. I don't think the US is the only great place to live.
    But I get the impression that sometimes we have the need to "explain" ourselves to others.
    I think "hey, I live here and I like it" is good enough, personally.
    But I agree with a lot that's been said so far.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    We have CHOICES.

I feel very blessed that me and my children get to grow up with so many choices.

I think there are European societies that operate in ways that I prefer - but being an American, I have the OPTION to be a part of that society if I so decide.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I hate the military but without them I don't think I would be able to have the freedom to say I hate the military.

Why do you hate the military?
    babywavy wrote: »
    We have CHOICES.

I feel very blessed that me and my children get to grow up with so many choices.

I think there are European societies that operate in ways that I prefer - but being an American, I have the OPTION to be a part of that society if I so decide.

I couldn't think of how to word it, so I am just going to quote you.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users
    We can criticize the government, worship as we please, and it is a beautiful, diverse country.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    It's really difficult to choose just one thing. But I would say that everyone has the opportunity to pursue their goals and to achieve their highest potential if they work hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    Freedom
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    FieryCurls wrote: »

I'm guessing that we're not going to get an answer on that one. One the cop hating either. I say right now that I'm glad that I'm not a LEO in her area.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    The possibility for a better tomorrow. The ability for the "little man" to make change. That sometimes dissent is one of the most American things you can do. As much as it hurts my heart that not everyone has the same rights and opportunities in this country, I know in my heart it will change one day.

Best thing: hope
  • Misses_JaiMisses_Jai Posts: 97Registered Users
    freedom of speech......
    common sense is not common.....
    CG since Jan 2009.....
    No hair color since 2007..i've stopped fighting the greys....they always win....
    3a/some 2c
    clarify - ACV rinse
    co-wash - NGTT calming conditioner or suave naturals tropical coconut
    rinse-out - sally's GVP cond. balm
    dt - sally's GVP k-pak or lustrasilk
    leave in & styling - KCKT, KCCC, HESMU mousse
    styling loves - DIFFUSING!!! & plopping
    susancnw wrote: »

I'm guessing that we're not going to get an answer on that one. One the cop hating either.

You're right.

Isn't America great?

And that's all I gotta say on that :blob8:

I'm guessing that we're not going to get an answer on that one. One the cop hating either.

You're right.

Isn't America great?

And that's all I gotta say on that :blob8:

I was seriously wondering why you hate the military.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I can't answer for why Vagabond hates the military.

But, as a military person, I can state a reason or two why people have judged me/my job for that.

When some find out I'm in the military, it is often assumed that I'm a right-wing wing-nut head case who secretly wants American Imperialism to become reality, that we all want to go out and kill every Muslim or foreigner or take over every country that happens to be in a geopolitical area of interest.

Sometimes it's amusing because I'm a liberal who used to be married to a Muslim and who was against the Iraq War, but for Afghanistan.

Oh, and I've also heard "baby killer" which is an old holdover from the Vietnam era.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

But, as a military person, I can state a reason or two why people have judged me/my job for that.

When some find out I'm in the military, it is often assumed that I'm a right-wing wing-nut head case who secretly wants American Imperialism to become reality, that we all want to go out and kill every Muslim or foreigner or take over every country that happens to be in a geopolitical area of interest.

Sometimes it's amusing because I'm a liberal who used to be married to a Muslim and who was against the Iraq War, but for Afghanistan.

Oh, and I've also heard "baby killer" which is an old holdover from the Vietnam era.

My husband is in the Army, so I have heard those things too. I would just like to know why Vagabond hates the military.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

My husband is in the Army, so I have heard those things too. I would just like to know why Vangabond hates the military.

My bad, I knew that and didn't think about that when I posted.

My husband is in the Army, so I have heard those things too. I would just like to know why Vangabond hates the military.

My bad, I knew that and didn't think about that when I posted.

No problem.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote: »
    Freedom

Second that. If I only had to name one.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users

I'm guessing that we're not going to get an answer on that one. One the cop hating either. I say right now that I'm glad that I'm not a LEO in her area.

Susan - some people just don't answer questions. If it's a hard question or one that provokes thought, they just don't answer. Frustrating isn't it?
    Myradella3 wrote: »

Susan - some people just don't answer questions. If it's a hard question or one that provokes thought, they just don't answer. Frustrating isn't it?

Oh my friggin gawd!

Usually when I say 'and that's all I gotta say about that' in a thread that means I'm finished reading it and I'm done typing in it because I done pissed somebody off and I'm not going to continue to engage. Since I left my comments simple and haven't pissed anybody off (yet) I have continued to read this thread.

The only reason why you want my answer is because you're either in the military or have a spouse/relative in the military or you're a police officer or have a relative/spouse that's a police officer. But this thread is about things that is good about America, so you casually gloss over the fact that I wrote two good things about both the police and the military (that you are the first ones I would call when there is a major problem and that you fight for our rights and freedom respectively) to engage me in a debate (soon to be argument) about why I 'hate' the police and the military? Why? What's the point? You can accept from someone else that they may not like (indeed 'hate') the police or the military but that's hard to accept from me? Why?

I am not interested in being called 'racist' or hearing defenses like 'well you don't know what police officers and military personnel have to go through and how dangerous it is for them' when I mention about police brutality, racial profiling and racial harassment. On the contrary, I do know and have discussed at length what police and military face on a daily basis. That doesn't undermine the problems and issues that both perpectuate to specific parts of the population and the population in general.

Yes I'm black. I have black children including a black son. I have a black husband, a black mother and black father, black uncles and black aunts. If you want to see and understand the relationship between blacks and the police - google it. I'm sure there will be a lot to tickle your fancy and I'm sure you'll get a lot about the NYPD and the LAPD but it's a national thing.

The military. I'll throw a couple of words at you and you can make what you want with that -
    military history
    current racism
    current sexism
    lies
    deceit
    war
    oil
    front line
    recruiting tactics
    a local news story about Pfc Lavena Johnson /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzr1iOxS2T7w" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.salon.com%2Fmwt%2Fbroadsheet%2F2008%2F06%2F27%2Flavena_johnson%2F" class="Popup
    her dad was my job search training instructor. He was a military veteran himself so he's very familiar with the military and their tactics.

Asking me why I don't like the police or the military is like asking an Arab with a turban and a Muslim name why he doesn't like airport security. :angry5:
    Should be obvious, but I'm guessing you're white and the truth often eludes you (on purpose I'm guessing).

I've been baited. You got an answer. Hope you're happy.

And that's all I REALLY gotta say about that.
    Couldn't leave well enough alone. :scratch::director::salut: :sleepy1:

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    A lot of people are open about not liking the police. Its pretty damn taboo to not like the military, though. Or to say it, rather.
    Yes, I'm continuing the guano, but it is an interesting sub-topic.....

I'll have to agree with you on the recruiting tactics, actually.

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me if someone hates the military. The US is huge, and I can't expect everyone to agree with that part of my life. At least it's more rational than someone not liking me beacause I have a big butt or curly hair or something along those lines.

I guess I'll add that to another positive thing about the US - you can hate my job, but I can still do it.

Vagabond, you really come off as quite angry in almost all of your posts. I am white and I am married to a soldier. I was not baiting you or looking for an arguement. I asked simply because you said something that sparked my interest as a military spouse and I wanted to know. The military has it's problems. I definitely agree with that. Like RCC, I cannot stand the recruiting tactics. My husband's recruiter lied to us about so many things that I couldn't in good conscience ever agree to him being a recruiter.

I just realized that I mispelled your name in one of my posts, so I will go change that.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

Leave a Comment