March Issue of Seventeen

JessinessJessiness Registered Users Posts: 64
I was really really surprised when my Seventeen came in the mail yesterday. It was their annual hair issue, and I expected to open it up only to find straight or blown-out hair. There was a lot of that, but there was also more good advice for curly hair than I've ever seen in one issue. They had a page where they asked girls the secrets to their hair, and one curly suggested using a T-shirt instead of a terry-cloth towel to dry. :happy7:

They also suggested the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Hair-Rules-Kinky-Curling-Cream-p-909.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Hair-Rules-Kinky-Curling-Cream]Kinky Curling Cream[/buylink] by Hair Rules, which I was surprised to see. They also had a spread on voluminous hair, and supported naturally curly hair. I was impressed! They still aren't suggesting ditching shampoo and 'cones, but you can only expect so much from a mainstream mag, I guess.
2C/3A, fine, normal-high porosity, medium texture

Low Poo
- Cristophe Beverly Hills Purely Natural Daily Shampoo
Co-Wash- Suave Naturals Coconut (sometimes used as a leave-in)
Condish- LVPNG
Leave-ins- KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, Garnier Sleek & Shine
Gels- Aldi Shique Gel, LA Looks Sport,
Enhancer- KCCC

Comments

• blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    WOW! That's great to hear. At least one mainstream magazine is trying to incorporate curly hair articles, pictures, etc. because not everyone has straight hair. Besides, curly hair rules. :happy7:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • j-jill. j-jill. Registered Users Posts: 147
    I think people are finally realizing that a lot of people in this world have naturally curly hair. (:
    Makes me happyy.
    Magazine's should start doing this more.. they'd probably make more money, seeing that half of the population has curly hair?
    Hair Type: 2b/2c (:

• blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    LOL! I agree j-jill I do believe that half the population of the world, if not more has curly hair.
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    Ummm. i used to place ads for a company i worked for and i can say that seventeen had very little to do with what the actual material was. they have ad places and they pretty much hit up companies that revolve around their current issues. and as a company, you much rather spend your ad money on an issue that concentrates on the subject because then you would hit your target audience and get more viewership. for example, we were a dental company, so when New York Magazine had its medical special, OF COURSE we would spend the money to have our ad in their and if we could throw in an advetorial- an ad with a testimony, that would be even better! I think the companies of curling products need to step of their game a little better and advertise in these magazines such as instyle, lucky, and whatever other fashion magazine! I'm tired of getting instyle and seeing the keratin treatment ad!!! It's tempting me because it hotwires my brain into thinking straight is better!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Ummm. i used to place ads for a company i worked for and i can say that seventeen had very little to do with what the actual material was. they have ad places and they pretty much hit up companies that revolve around their current issues. and as a company, you much rather spend your ad money on an issue that concentrates on the subject because then you would hit your target audience and get more viewership. for example, we were a dental company, so when New York Magazine had its medical special, OF COURSE we would spend the money to have our ad in their and if we could throw in an advetorial- an ad with a testimony, that would be even better! I think the companies of curling products need to step of their game a little better and advertise in these magazines such as instyle, lucky, and whatever other fashion magazine! I'm tired of getting instyle and seeing the keratin treatment ad!!! It's tempting me because it hotwires my brain into thinking straight is better!

They're not talking about ads. These were articles in the magazine.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • rhunte4rhunte4 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Even so, it wouldn't be good for a magazine's relationship with the shampoo companies if they encouraged 60% of the population to stop buying their products!

It would certainly send the right message to the mainstream haircare manufacturers (ditch the 'poos and cones and we'll buy your stuff!), but it would never happen in this economy.
    2B...or not 2B? That is the question! :confused2:

Daily Co-Wash: Suave Coconut
    Jessicurl GLS once a week
    Current Rinse-Outs: L'Oreal Everpure Moisture Condish (I know, I know...) and Lustrasilk Cholesterol
    Jessicurl WDT once a week
    Styling: FOTE...PJing with a few things, but nothing I like yet.
  • Lil'curlsLil'curls Registered Users Posts: 275
    I was so surprised, and excited. You won't believe the excitement at the t shirt mention. But, in the end, it was not anything I didn't know from here. Also, more and more mags have been recommending shampooing less often, so, we're getting somewhere. I was sad though that a lot of the products had silicone, which I can't use. If you're not CG, silicone works wonders, but it sucks for us.
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

• SillyMonkeySillyMonkey Registered Users Posts: 6
    is it just me or...every magazine i look through they always have tips for straignt and for curly hair. hm..maybe you're all reading the wrong magazines :P

but you know what makes me angry? many people consider it "unhygienic" when a person doesn't wash his/her hair (almost) every day. that's bulls**t.
  • hazelnuthazelnut Registered Users Posts: 199
    I just recieved that issue yesterday. And they did have a lot more advice and tips on curly hair then they've had in the past. I was suprised.
    My hair is: 3b-4a, at my shoulders

My goal: To have my hair down to my waist or near my waist by 2012!

My favorite quote:
    Don't be afraid of death... but rather the unlived life. - Angus Tuck in the movie Tuck Everlasting
  • hazelnuthazelnut Registered Users Posts: 199
    is it just me or...every magazine i look through they always have tips for straignt and for curly hair. hm..maybe you're all reading the wrong magazines :P

but you know what makes me angry? many people consider it "unhygienic" when a person doesn't wash his/her hair (almost) every day. that's bulls**t.
    I know!! It's like, if you don't wash your hair every freakin day, your commiting some type of crime. This one guy asked me if I washed my hair everyday and I truthfully told him no and, I kid you not, his response was, "so you don't take a shower!" I was like, what the heck is your problem!? Just because I don't wash my HAIR everyday doesn't mean I don't was my BODY everyday. Jeez, people just get dumber and dumber everyday.
    My hair is: 3b-4a, at my shoulders

My goal: To have my hair down to my waist or near my waist by 2012!

My favorite quote:
    Don't be afraid of death... but rather the unlived life. - Angus Tuck in the movie Tuck Everlasting
  • curlybeautycurlybeauty Registered Users Posts: 81
    I received that issue as well. I was happy to see that they offered tips on how to manage curly hair and showed more of it than any other issue I've seen before. Definitely a step in the right direction for a mainstream magazine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file