Deva-curl left my hair incredibly FRIZZY!

burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
What could I b doing wrong?!

I made a deep treatment over night with some natural items- avocado, olive oil, honey, lemon, vo5 conditioner,aloe, and a banana. Next day I washed it with no poo, one conditioner, washed most of it out and left a bit as a leave in. Applied a bit of additional leave in conditioner, scrunched it with my hands- no towel or tshirt involved. Then I applied AnGell and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and scrunched it all over in sections n let it air dry. The back was extremely frizzzyyy. I've never seen my hair THAT friZzy. What did I do wrong?

Thanks
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV

Comments

• CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    It would help to know what kind of VO5 condish you used. You may have over conditioned it. Sounds like way too much protein.

Usually for my deep treatments, I just put some One C in and leave it in for about 30 minutes under a shower cap.

You may also have protein sensitive hair. If you do, then I recommend Jessicurl products.

I use Deva for the most part as my hair doesn't have a prob with the little protein in the deva, but I do know that Jessicurl is absolutely awesome for protein sensitive hair.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    I used VO5 Extra Body Volumizing Conditioner:

WATER (AQUA), CETYL ALCOHOL, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, STEARETH-21, GLYCERYL STEARATE, GELATIN/KERATIN AMINO ACID/LYSINE HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, BIOTIN, NIACINAMIDE, POLYSORBATE 20, ASCORBIC ACID, PANTHENOL, DISODIUM EDTA, DMDM HYDANTOIN, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6.

My hair is extremely dry so i dont know if it is over conditioning... and i'm not sure what the symtoms are for protein sensitive hair. I do know my hair is hard and frizzy. I washed yesterday again with deva products. Gosh i love how it smells and it leaves my hair soo smooth in the shower... but when it dries... it's a whole different story :(. I might order some jessicurl to try...

any other recommendations?

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know if this caused the frizz, but you mixed products i would not mix. i don't think you can leave in some of the one conditioner, and add a leave in on top of that -- that is a definite 'no-no.'
    also, angell and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] are similar products, they both are supposed to do the same, so i personally would not combine them. i would use either angell, (or arc angell -- has more of a hold), or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink].
    could also have overconditioned with too much protein if your hair is sensitive to it. i can use a small amount of protein, even use a lot maybe once/twice a year and my hair loves it, then any more and i have a dry, brittle mess!
    unfortunately, it is a matter of trial and error. however, when you hit the right products, it's great!
    here is a website of one nc member, struttswife, who is a hairstylist in florida:
    livecurlylivefree.com
    then on the side menu, click on 'tiffany's blog.' she has a great amount of tremendously good information.
    good luck!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb wrote: »
    i don't know if this caused the frizz, but you mixed products i would not mix. i don't think you can leave in some of the one conditioner, and add a leave in on top of that -- that is a definite 'no-no.'
    also, angell and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] are similar products, they both are supposed to do the same, so i personally would not combine them. i would use either angell, (or arc angell -- has more of a hold), or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink].
    could also have overconditioned with too much protein if your hair is sensitive to it. i can use a small amount of protein, even use a lot maybe once/twice a year and my hair loves it, then any more and i have a dry, brittle mess!
    unfortunately, it is a matter of trial and error. however, when you hit the right products, it's great!
    here is a website of one nc member, struttswife, who is a hairstylist in florida:
    livecurlylivefree.com
    then on the side menu, click on 'tiffany's blog.' she has a great amount of tremendously good information.
    good luck!

I dont know why i mix. i guess i get concerned that the deva wont be enough for my hair. and i did like the hold of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but it left my hair crunchy which i am trying to do with out. so i thougth a softer gel underneather [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] would make it smooth? i dunno! But thanks so much for the site. I read one blog and was already convinced!

I'll try to cut out protein completely and see if i get better results and stick to a line and not mix :)

gracias!

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    but devacurl feels soooo good on my head!!! and i love the smell of the no poo and one conditioner!!!

just HAD to throw it out there!

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    devacurl does not have a lot of protein, i use it successfully. if you want, you can try and leave in some one conditioner, then scrunch with angell or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angell[/buylink], and some spritz of set it free.
    see how that works for a few days.
    fyi - when i did try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] for a few weeks, i had to low poo to get it all out first.
    or, you can leave in some one conditioner, then just add [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink].
    remember, it's trial and error!! unfortunately.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    The only Deva Product with Protein is B-Leave In. I think you may have mixed way too many things as well. Deva works best with Deva IMO. Also before you go spend tons of money on Jessicurl you need to make sure your hair can tolerate a lot of mag sulphate and oils or you will be very disappointed. Try using Deva on it's own no other LI's and see how you do. There is nothing wrong with leaving a little One-C in your hair but you don't need the V05 on top that's overkill. ArcAngel has more hold then Angel so you may want to try that if Angel doesn't give you the hold you want.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • TweetybabygirlRTweetybabygirlR Registered Users Posts: 26
    I use these products, however I use the lo poo instead of the no poo. I know they are a bit pricey but maybe that would work better for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file