CurlTalk

What are your pick-me-ups?

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
We've all been there -- stressed, out of sorts, not our usual selves. What kinds of things do you do to feel a bit better?
Under construction.

Comments

• StrawberiCurlsStrawberiCurls Posts: 424Registered Users
    I need some tips too! Lately I've been feeling very low...not always, but often.

Usually what helps me is listening to my favorite artists on my iPod and sipping a HUGE mug of hot tea. It must be a gigantic, oversized mug or the moment is ruined :) And no TV, no internet, just some music and tea. :coffee2:

That will usually calm me down for awhile...

Also, I'll call my mom and she usually helps me feel a bit better.
    3a/3b mix
    5 year HG's:
    -L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture creme
    -Ouidad Climate Control gel
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    I love to bake.

Of course then I eat :lol:
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    GrandMarnierMacarons.jpg
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Sitting down and relaxing with a beverage I like--coffee, beer, or wine.

A good workout, followed by a relaxing bath.

If money's no object, a massage.
    ehLB.jpg
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    A nice bag of microwave popcorn, hot cocoa and a L&O marathon. Like, that is the best.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    A good hard cardio workout.
    My right playlist on my ipod.
    A stack of good magazines.
    Doing nothing if things have been particularly hectic.
    A cuddle with my 7 year old son.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    A nice glass of Shiraz always does it for me :) I wait until night time though :laughing7: if it's been a bad day I know once I sit back sip some wine and watch a movie all the stress goes away......
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    A good hard workout. Can't feel bad with feel good endorphines racing through my system.

:wav:

Good coffee (even decaff.) and a few c.chip cookies!:coffee2:

Hugging my sweet Rocky-doggie!

Good sex.

Talking to my husband or sister.

A sappy, feel good movie and a good cry always makes me feel better.
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    +1 on the workout suggestion. Sometimes that is the only thing that will do it for me. Especially running ... sometimes it is like leaving the world and coming back in a different place. I love it.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Swimming

Orgasm

A little retail therapy
  • jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
    I don't know what I do to feel better. For the most part I have things that I do to try to avoid utter disaster. For example, i take out the lightbulbs in the bathroom so that I don't pick at my face, and balance my checkbook to reassure myself that it would be irresponsible to go shopping and spend money that I don't have...
    You know what though... now that I think of it, comfy socks, whipped cream and television are three things that make me feel very good. :)
    Hair Type: 3a/3b
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    My knowledge of history is pretty weak so lately I've been watching interesting videos on youtube where I can learn more. I full screen them on my computer, and lay back on my bed and watch. Recently looked at a BBC production called The Two Winstons about Winston Churchill and Orwel's 1984 character Winston Smith. I had no idea England debated going along with Hitler at first for example so it was fascinating to learn that. About to watch a 15 part BBC series on the History of Britian. Though many are dry, some historical documentaries are truly lively and engrossing.

Getting lost learning about something much bigger than myself or any one person has a way of taking me from my own problems. Not ignoring them, but it lends perspective in a way. Where history repeats, the machinations of men, how other people or groups screw harmony up, how it's overcome, or not. How the world we live in now came to be shaped the way it is, great sacrifice, turmoil, triumph, etc.

:glasses9:
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Yoga. Listening to relaxing music. A glass of wine. Playing with the cat.
  • GabbylkpGabbylkp Posts: 197Registered Users
    A good sweaty workout, a good microbrew, or chocolate cupcakes with lots of frosting.
    Dwight Schrute: [pushing Michael's face into the wet cement] Force it in as deep as you can. Michael Scott: That's what she said.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Whiskey, rocks.

No, seriously. I also love to bake and it's so relaxing and therapeutic for me.

I also like to relax with one of my favorite magazines (if I have one - I devour them as soon as they come in!) or with a good book.

Exercising doesn't help me. I hate working out and it just pisses me off to exercise when I'm already stressed.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    When I'm in a bad mood, I'm kinda like, I'm already pissed, might as well excercise.

I also like a nice big mug of hot chocolate with tons of whipped cream (the milk-to-cream ratio's about the same) and watch something light and fluffy.

Hot shower and washing my hair. I love washing my hair, it's so relaxing.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    Some really good music and an alchoholic beverage and I always feel better
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Music, food (chocolates or ice cream), exercise
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MoppyTMoppyT Posts: 998Registered Users
    A glass of wine or two.

Hugs from dogs (my dogs are very huggy).

For retail therapy, I like Target.com's clearance section. Last week I got a dress, two pairs of cute shoes, and a cute flouncy coat all for under $50 with shipping.
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    The best thing for me is yoga if I'm sad, running if I'm mad or anxious/stressed. But if I cannot summon the will to do those things, then I:

immerse myself in movies or TV shows on DVD
    split a bottle of wine with a good friend
    knit
    read

If do the above on top of yoga or running, then I tend to bounce back pretty quickly.

It's important to baby yourself, sometimes.

I like Strawberi's approach. :thumbright: Might have to try that sometime.

If the problem is more chronic — related to stress or mood shifts due to weather — I go back to taking 5-HTP and maybe some other amino acids again, until things normalize, which is usually within a few weeks. I don't have to do that too often, but it's nice to have as an ace up my sleeve.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Exercise usually helps me, though lately I have not really employed that tactic. I've been favoring wild~hair's suggestions of immersing myself in a TV series on DVD. There's something comforting about getting sucked into a familiar world where I know what's going to happen. Also going for coffee with my best friend is extremely cathartic. She's like therapy.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Ice cream and a Comedy

Sex

Gummy Bears
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    A nice bag of microwave popcorn, hot cocoa and a L&O marathon. Like, that is the best.

What's this?

Flowers work for me.:happy7:
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Law and Order!!!
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Oh! D'uh me:goofy:

I enjoy the Robot Chicken parody of this, too.
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    Anime.
    Sweets.
    Salty foods.
    Sex.
    Playing with puppies and other animals.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    Yeah, when SO is in town, it's a lot easier to feel better about things. :wink:

I'm off today, so sounds like a drink, takeout and trashy TV might be in my schedule tonight. As is cleaning. There's something about cleaning and organizing an outside environment that makes me feel a little less cluttered on the inside.
    Under construction.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    Retail therapy cures all! :D

Lately, I've been doing lots of hot bubble baths and those work great. I actually fell asleep in the tub last night I was sooo relaxed. My favorite one is using Lush bathbombs (1/2 butterball, 1/2 waving not drowning) along with the sandlewood and amber bubble bath (i got it from walmart), a glass of red wine, some music from my ipod, turn the lights down, and a nice cold eye mask. :thumright:
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    getting mani/pedi
    shopping
    going out drinking and dancing with girl friends
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Time to myself
    Long walk/ fresh air
    Hot tea
    Warm bath
    Laughter, about anything
    Nap
    B.O.B.
    Guilty pleasure reading
    Retail therapy
    Writing out my feelings
    Exercise
    Music!
    Cooking/ great food

Of course, I don't just reserve these for when I'm feeling yuk. But they are effective most of the time to lift my mood.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)