CurlTalk

Kinky Curly Going Out of Business

I was at the store in the mall trying to buy some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and I overheard the guy who works in there talking to this other girl with natural hair telling her that they were going out of business. Apparantly the other girl was trying to purchase some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] too and he told her that they handled their business wrong and that next week he will have Miss Jessies

Has anyone else heard this? Please tell me its not true. I am so upset. None of the stores in Los Angeles have had it for the past week and you cant order the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or the shampoo from her website either.
AND its out of stock on Curlmart too!
Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.

Comments

• amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,204Registered Users
    Yikes. Please some one say it isn't so.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    No........ I HIGHLY doubt that...Shelley gets way too much business!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I think if she was going out of buisness she would say so. She's adding 2 new products and selling products faster than she can keep them in stock.

I think she's having supply issues but I don't believe she is going out of buisness when her products are so hot.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Misses_JaiMisses_Jai Posts: 97Registered Users
    oh nooooo!!! i really hope this isn't true. i went to their website and couldn't order anything either. what store did you go to? have you tried simply wholesome on Slauson & Overland?

there's no way to contact them via their website either.....yeah, we KC users need someone's help!!
    common sense is not common.....
    CG since Jan 2009.....
    No hair color since 2007..i've stopped fighting the greys....they always win....
    3a/some 2c
    clarify - ACV rinse
    co-wash - NGTT calming conditioner or suave naturals tropical coconut
    rinse-out - sally's GVP cond. balm
    dt - sally's GVP k-pak or lustrasilk
    leave in & styling - KCKT, KCCC, HESMU mousse
    styling loves - DIFFUSING!!! & plopping
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I think if she was going out of buisness she would say so. She's adding 2 new products and selling products faster than she can keep them in stock.

I think she's having supply issues but I don't believe she is going out of buisness when her products are so hot.

This is my view as well. Also, they just recently got into Whole Foods, and I don't think WF would let them in if they felt the company was going to go under.

There have been supply issues as we've seen here with things going out of stock. Maybe the business owner in the OP got confused ot frustrated by that.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Posts: 287Registered Users
    Simply Wholesome didnt have any, Wilshire Beauty didnt have any either.
    Something definitely isnt right. Kinky Curly is based in LA and the local stores always have the product.

They guy in the store (I think he was the owner) was trying to help the other customer and she was asking about the CURLS line and he told her that no one buys it because it was junk but that she should come back when he gets Miss Jessies.

Thought he was just talking crap but then when I went to the others stores that always have it and couldnt find it I started to get worried.
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
    Hopefully he was just talking smack.

The CURLS line isn't bad, and certainly can compete with the reformulated Miss Jessie's line - which was far better before the reformulation.

I hope so too but the two new products have said "Coming Soon' for like a few weeks now.

I dont know if she would say if she were going out of business. My sister said that maybe shes just trying to sell up all her old inventory on the slower moving items to recoup the money

I dont know but I emailed her and got no reply .
    Time will tell I suppose. I really hope this isn't true though. This line has been good to me for a good year and a half, something no other line has been able to do. I'd hate to see a small business with a good product go under.

I dont know if she would say if she were going out of business. My sister said that maybe shes just trying to sell up all her old inventory on the slower moving items to recoup the money

I agree, lots of companies go out of business and don't advertise it. Something doesn't "smell" right......
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Hopefully he was just talking smack.

The CURLS line isn't bad, and certainly can compete with the reformulated Miss Jessie's line - which was far better before the reformulation.

Yeah, I know. He is kind of an A$$ and very arrogant.
    He was basically saying that the company folded because of bad business practices and management.

I knew she had problems keeping the product in stock and in the past had manufacturer problems that caused products to be discontinued. I have been using this stuff for like forever and I am trying to think like you guys that this isnt true BUT b/c I cant find it anywhere.....I am starting to doubt.
    I hear ya.

I'm hoping that it's just a supply issue. KC has had them before, and so have many other smaller lines that I see here. Keeping my fingers crossed.

DEL2C wrote: »
    I agree, lots of companies go out of business and don't advertise it. Something doesn't "smell" right......

I remember when Miss Jessies closed down their salon. There was no warning with them either.
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    Well, I DID read somewhere on the internet that she's being sued by the other guy who makes kinky-curly products, because of the name. I don't understand that, because I thought she came out with her stuff first, and to add to that, his products didn't do a thing for my hair, except make it look and feel like I put dirt in it.
    I'll try to find the link and get back to you all.
    Well, I DID read somewhere on the internet that she's being sued by the other guy who makes kinky-curly products, because of the name. I don't understand that, because I thought she came out with her stuff first, and to add to that, his products didn't do a thing for my hair, except make it look and feel like I put dirt in it.

I also read about a lawsuit by Hair Rules against Kinky Curly, which makles little sense. Kinky Curly was around first AFAIK. I remember being confused when Hair Rules came out with a product with a similar name.

Here's a link, but I don't have a subscription to this service.

ETA: from what I found, the Hair Rules line was founded in 2007 and Kinky Curly has been around before that. Weird. It's be soooo pissed if she was put out of business by a lawsuit from some new overpriced line that uses crap like xane cone and mineral oil.

• kaymoorekaymoore Posts: 298Registered Users
    I don't think this is true. But it more likely that she may have some supply issues. I just ordered the large size of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] from the website...so it works. But I noticed that certain products cannot be added to the cart, its possible that they may be out of stock. If Kinky Curly goes out of business there will be some mad women. I will be one pissed off frizzy woman without my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]. I love Kinky Curly and hope that any issues will be worked out.
    http://public.fotki.com/kaymoore/

4a/3c combo with 4b in the front

Hair Goal: Shoulder Length and Curly before April 2010!

"Call me Kinky, Call me Nappy...
    It's just Semantics!
    "

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Products I am currently loving:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner
    Anita Grant Rhassoul Deep Conditioner
    Anita Grant Cafe Latte
    Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
    event.png

kaymoore wrote: »
    I don't think this is true. But it more likely that she may have some supply issues. I just ordered the large size of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] from the website...so it works. But I noticed that certain products cannot be added to the cart, its possible that they may be out of stock. If Kinky Curly goes out of business there will be some mad women. I will be one pissed off frizzy woman without my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]. I love Kinky Curly and hope that any issues will be worked out.

yeah, I'm thinking it's just a supply thing.

But, the Hair Rules bit does jack me up.

Damn...I just found it on a google search

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdockets.justia.com%2Fdocket%2Fcourt-nysdce%2Fcase_no-1%3A2008cv09611%2Fcase_id-335234%2F" class="Popup

why are they suing her? She came out with Kinky-Curly years ago? anthony Dickey just started his last year????? What the hell is going on?
    And this law suit is dated Nov 2008.
    Thanks, redcelticcurls. I was just searching and had a hard time finding it. The thing that I love about [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on KT are that they are all natural, and work well together or separately depending on your hair. Every sometimes has different results, but they're good products. I will be so angry and upset if she is driven out of business. Maybe we the consumers can write him an angry letter or something. Everyone has the right to make a living for themselves. I still believe she came out with her products first. Or if she's forced to, change the name. But she shouldn't have to. I guess I better try to find some more fast before none can be found.

I also read about a lawsuit by Hair Rules against Kinky Curly, which makles little sense. Kinky Curly was around first AFAIK. I remember being confused when Hair Rules came out with a product with a similar name.

Here's a link, but I don't have a subscription to this service.

ETA: from what I found, the Hair Rules line was founded in 2007 and Kinky Curly has been around before that. Weird. It's be soooo pissed if she was put out of business by a lawsuit from some new overpriced line that uses crap like xane cone and mineral oil.

You beat me to it RCC and YES you wont be the only one pissed if this is what is happening.

I just called some Rickys in NY and they say they havent had any Kinky Curly for a while now but didnt confirm or deny the going out of business story.
    Oh CRAP if she's being sued.....Oh man that's enough to put any small business OUT of BIZ this can't be good!!!! :crybaby:
    Discovered CG 2007

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I wonder if she didn't copyright her name???? I would think that would be the only way he could sue her...right? But beyond that - must find/order [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] ASAP!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    what, is dickey mad cause shelley does more business than him??? ooooh this burns me up in more ways than i can explain!!!!!!!
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    Yeah! Let's write him a nasty letter!

BTW I was able to find some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] on honeyfig.com, however, they are sold out of Kinky Curly Curling Creme. :sad11:
    empressri wrote: »
    what, is dickey mad cause shelley does more business than him??? ooooh this burns me up in more ways than i can explain!!!!!!!

Srsly! WTF?!

If I had a ton of money, I'd give her some for the suit.

I wouldn't buy his stuff anyway from what I read of the ingredients list, but you can bet I wouldn't buy it now even if their stuff was great. The ethics of it all ticks me off.

I do hope that Shelley had the name copyrighted. I'd hate to see her lose for being technically wrong, and he'd win by legality, but with poor ethics.

shelley is a business woman first and foremost, so im sooo not worried about her. she's not home mixing up stuff in the kitchen and selling it, she has a full fledged business. dickey seems like he's being a crybaby, but im not worried. this will work out, cause ill will straight up revolt if my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] isn't made. SERIOUSLY.
    [/B]
    My logical side says she'll be fine.

My righteous ire side wants to kick Dickey in the nads.

I'm already annoyed by his use of chemicaled models and what seem to be shillers posing on hair sites posting glowing reviews. Now this?

DEL2C wrote: »
    Oh CRAP if she's being sued.....Oh man that's enough to put any small business OUT of BIZ this can't be good!!!! :crybaby:

and my sister just told me that these type of lawsuits that deal with trademark and copyright stuff are very very expensive.
    empressri wrote: »
    shelley is a business woman first and foremost, so im sooo not worried about her. she's not home mixing up stuff in the kitchen and selling it, she has a full fledged business. dickey seems like he's being a crybaby, but im not worried. this will work out, cause ill will straight up revolt if my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] isn't made. SERIOUSLY.

I wonder if she didnt see this coming b/c she didnt raise her prices or anything at all. Any type of lawsuit is gonna cost money and laywers can be really expensive so I think she should have prepared herself better...something is defintely going on ...too many stores are out of the product for too long.