We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Tuna Salad

PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
I'm about to make some. Tell me what you put in yours and give me some new ideas!

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mayo
    sweet relish
    hand mashed hard boiled eggs
    tuna
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    mayo
    sweet relish
    tuna

That's exactly how I make it!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Peppy wrote: »
    mayo
    sweet relish
    tuna

I usually put the sweet relish on after I prepare it. In the bowl, I just throw in mayo and a bit chopped onion.

Do people put chopped apple in tuna salad? I have a vague recollection of some type of salad that had mayo and apples in it.
    Peppy wrote: »
    mayo
    sweet relish
    tuna

Cool! I was a bit worried how strange it would be. I learned few recipes from my grandma growing up and this was one of them. She didn't really know how to cook and no natural knack to make up for it either. Rather then admit she it, she would guess, often not very well. I've gotten a few surprises as a result. For example: in that tuna salad replace the tuna with mashed potatoes and that's what I was thought was potato salad growing up.
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    mmm i love tuna salad.

i mix:

drained flaked tuna
    chopped red onion
    chopped celery
    white pepper
    mayo

mmm mmm good!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mayo
    sweet relish
    tuna

That sounds so good to me!
    In search of a lost signature...
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've also had tuna salad made with golden raisins. Usually also with curry.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I don't like mayo so I use a little vinegar and oil instead, and sometimes avocado to bind.

The handmashed hardboiled eggs sounds sooo good! I never ever thought of that.

For mustard, I like to experiment with different types spread on crackers or bread, not mixed in. I love mustard.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    For those of you intrigued by the hard boiled eggs, you can also slice a few long ways and use them as garish for parties.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Its odd but its out of this world. It involves chinese noodles and olives and water chestnuts... its a great tuna salad for luncheons or company.
    if anyone is interested I can post the recipe.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    mmm i love tuna salad.

i mix:

drained flaked tuna
    chopped red onion
    chopped celery
    white pepper
    mayo

mmm mmm good!
    When I am making it for myself at home that how I like it. My Mom is convinced that white pepper is unhealthy???? no clue.... i love it in all my salads.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like to put a little something sweet in my tuna salad, so I use chopped apple pieces, raisins, dried cranberries, or dried blueberries. Sometimes I add chopped nuts (any type...walnuts or almonds usually). And I always put in chopped celery and mayonaise. Toasted sesame seeds are a nice addition too.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tuna, red onion, finely chopped celery, chopped hard boiled eggs, mayo, diced pickles or relish.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Sometimes I go traditional - mayo (or miracle whip), celery, onion, salt, pepper,

Lately I've been doing capers, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, shallots, garlic

Has anyone ever done cottage cheese with it? I've seen it on the internet but I'm too scared to try it.
    hello.world.
    webjockey wrote: »

Lately I've been doing capers, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh parsley, shallots, garlic

Yes! :thumright:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• anonnymouseanonnymouse Posts: 1,340Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    tuna
    mayo
    chopped onion
    chopped celery
    7931.gif7932.gif7933.gifUntitled-vi.png
  • StrawberiCurlsStrawberiCurls Posts: 424Registered Users
    Mine's pretty different than most, but I LOVE it and its so healthy and ridiculously filling. This is the one I have in my fridge now:

2 cans Tuna
    1/3 cup Greek yogurt (its not sweet like reg. yogurt)
    ~2 Tbsp. Spicy brown mustard
    ~2 Tbsp. salsa
    Celery
    Dark red kidney beans
    Bell peppers

...Usually I chop up whatever veggies I have in my fridge and throw em into a bowl with the tuna. Its so delish on a wrap or with lettuce in a salad!
    3a/3b mix
    5 year HG's:
    -L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture creme
    -Ouidad Climate Control gel
    Mine's pretty different than most, but I LOVE it and its so healthy and ridiculously filling. This is the one I have in my fridge now:

2 cans Tuna
    ~2 Tbsp. salsa
    Celery
    Dark red kidney beans
    Bell peppers

...Usually I chop up whatever veggies I have in my fridge and throw em into a bowl with the tuna. Its so delish on a wrap or with lettuce in a salad!

This sounds great! (although I might play around with bean substitutions). Thanks for posting this recipe :)

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Its odd but its out of this world. It involves chinese noodles and olives and water chestnuts... its a great tuna salad for luncheons or company.
    if anyone is interested I can post the recipe.

Yes, please. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • StrawberiCurlsStrawberiCurls Posts: 424Registered Users

2 cans Tuna
    ~2 Tbsp. salsa
    Celery
    Dark red kidney beans
    Bell peppers

This sounds great! (although I might play around with bean substitutions). Thanks for posting this recipe :)

Yeah I tend to use whatever is in my fridge, so if one day I have chick peas I'll use those, or sometimes black beans too! I love beans :)
    3a/3b mix
    5 year HG's:
    -L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture creme
    -Ouidad Climate Control gel
  • Aphro-DeeziacAphro-Deeziac Posts: 983Registered Users
    cumin
    onion powder
    pepper
    onion
    celery
    raisins

very yummy
    26560_1412644406072_1531382664_31035658_3971206_n.jpg
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Mine is boring - mayo, pepper, celery but then I put it on a english muffin, put some american cheese on it and pop it under the broiler! Tuna melt love. YUMMM!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Can I just say how much I abhor celery? I've never been able to acquire a taste for celery and I'm so disappointed that it's a staple in almost every tuna salad recipe out there. Blech. :dwarf:
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Tuna
    Chopped up dill pickles
    Mayo
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »

Droooool. I am so trying that!

Medussa, you're not alone. I hate celery!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file