My hair won't wet - buildup or protein excess?

I have noticed that my hair doesn't seem to wet properly in the shower, and it dries off superfast in some sections once I've co-washed. Could this be a symptom of some product buildup? Or a symptom of too much protein? How do you know if it's too much protein?

I got my hair cut (badly....don't get me started) last month, and the hairdresser used some kind of straightening balm stuff on it (possibly full of non water soluble cones), and then I colored using Clairol Textures & Tones 8RO (but didn't use the conditioner as it had cones in it.).

Anyone had this issue? I am a 3a/b, fine hair, dyeing my hair red on and off since I was 14 (am now 36).

Comments

• memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    Sounds like protein build up to me....try avoiding protein and using lots of conditioner for awhile and see if that helps.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    If there was a salon product in your hair, there is a big chance it had 'cones in it. If you haven't clarified to get rid of it, I'd do that now. It's possible that it's created a barrier that won't allow moisture in.

I get flash drying when I'm having a build-up problem. If that's the case, clarifying will help as well. If you clarify, do a good DT afterward.

I agree about avoiding protein for a while. It sounds like you need all the moisture you can get.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • curlyginniecurlyginnie Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks gals. :-)

I am going to do a DT tomorrow. Does coconut milk have protein? To clarify, do I have to use a sulfate shampoo, or could I get away with a baking soda rinse followed by ACV? I do have Johnson's baby shampoo...will that work? (I just don't want to buy a bottle of shampoo for one wash.)
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Here's what you do. It is either cone or protein build up. Use non-protein and non-cone products for at least a week. If the problem does not improove, that means you have a cone in your hair.

You will have to shampoo to get it out. Just so you know, ACV rinses and Baking soda will not remove cones. Only shampoo can remove it and if it is bad enough, you may need to shampoo twice.

If it does turn out to be a cone and you must shampoo, do a deep treatment immediately after shampooing. Then go back to your normal routine.

Usually when I have my hair trimmed, I wash it before I go in and decline wash and styling. That way I don't have to worry about them putting anything in my hair I'll have to shampoo out.:thumbleft:
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • curlyginniecurlyginnie Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks CurlyMom73. :-) I did a lemon juice/conditioner wash first, followed by a coconut milk/cocoa/grapeseed oil/honey DT.....um, it didn't really help with the dry feeling at all. It was extra curly, but still feels dry. Will baby shampoo remove cones? I have some of that.

Does coconut milk have enough protein to be an issue? I looked at the nutritional info, and it was listed at 1g per serve, which is very little. I though also that perhaps my hair doesn't like honey. :dontknow:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file