Questions for people trying the Deva Curly Girl Routine for 1st time

MichelleMichelle AdministratorAdministrators, Moderators Posts: 742 Administrator
Devacurl is looking for questions from people who are just about to try or have tried their Curly Girl regime. So ask away!

Michelle
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• smo6767smo6767 Registered Users Posts: 409
    Are "polyquats" CG friendly?
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Does Lorraine have plans to revise/update the Curly Girl book?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • TweetybabygirlRTweetybabygirlR Registered Users Posts: 26
    I just bought the lo-poo and the conditioner. I have not BC'd yet, what should I really expect from this product. I did a two strand twist and I noticed that my hair was really dry. I'm not sure what the next step is.:dontknow:
  • smo6767smo6767 Registered Users Posts: 409
    Are our questions going to be answered soon?
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i love set it free. however, i am reluctant to use it on a consistent basis (altho i would love to) as i am concerned about buildup with the bees wax in it. will this happen? if so, does no poo remove it? low poo?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • marvelousmary22marvelousmary22 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Does AnGel have any kind of waxes that would leave residue if i went no-poo method?? because my friend said she was getting alot of build-up on her hair..

Thanks, and i have had alot of success with the DevaCurls system.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    Does AnGel have any kind of waxes that would leave residue if i went no-poo method?? because my friend said she was getting alot of build-up on her hair..

Thanks, and i have had alot of success with the DevaCurls system.
    The Angel has the A-cone that can cause build up in some curlies. You need a low poo to clarify once in a while, same thing with One-C
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • gmartellgmartell Registered Users Posts: 1
    I've ALWAYS embraced my curls but am only now trying Deva products. I am 3A mostly, very fine. I don't like the way AnGel sets my hair and that it's stiff. I'm thinking of watering it down. My hair curled better with all the NO NO products than with AnGel or the Deva line. When it drys (air or diffuser) it's straighter. I'm also feeling a buildup, should I switch to LoPoo vs. my NoPoo? How did you get over the loss of a "squeeky" clean wash? Any one else having this issue or have any recommendations?
  • emilykderremilykderr Registered Users Posts: 8
    I've been following the CG method for a few months, and I've been having TERRIBLE TERRIBLE frizz problems.

I have really thick hair. I don't brush it, I run my fingers through it in the shower, I trim my split ends regularly
    Here's my routine:
    -condition with regis design line olive oil conditioner
    -shampoo (once a week or so) with trader joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    -let my hair air dry......every once in a while (less than once a week) i use the blow dryer a little bit (just in the interest of time)

My hair feels MUCH healthier it is just ridiculously frizzy! Pllllease Help
  • PetalPetal Registered Users Posts: 219
    emilykderr wrote: »
    I've been following the CG method for a few months, and I've been having TERRIBLE TERRIBLE frizz problems.

I have really thick hair. I don't brush it, I run my fingers through it in the shower, I trim my split ends regularly
    Here's my routine:
    -let my hair air dry......every once in a while (less than once a week) i use the blow dryer a little bit (just in the interest of time)

You need a leave-in conditioner and maybe a butter or oil to seal it in. I love Giovanni Direct leave in and jojoba oil to seal.
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • curlyquez14curlyquez14 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Which "richer" conditioners does everyone recommend. I know a lot of people on here use suave naturals for cowashing, but what about the conditioner you put on after that?

Thanks!
  • NinnaNinna Registered Users Posts: 4
    I've been trying the no poo method, but my hair is getting straight!

I live in a tropical city, with lots of salt, humidity and of course, hot like hell, so i basically did a baking soda and vinegar rinse every day... the first days were fine, but then it was getting frizzy, so i used less baking soda and did this honey treatment... but now my hair is getting straight!

Please help me! i don't want to loose my curls!
  • LoVeMYhairLoVeMYhair Registered Users Posts: 8
    I love the products! Well the no poo is the best in my opinion. I have I think 4a hair. Basically it leaves the hair super soft and smells great! My question is, is it safe to just use the OneCondition, for co-washing, and is the Mist-er good for using for jus moisturizing my ends?

Also, and salons near the Ga Grayson area?
  • HateRelationshipHateRelationship Registered Users Posts: 100
    [Nevermind, my question was answered.]
    I'm growing my hair from chin length to mid-thigh length!
  • SzandraSzandra Registered Users Posts: 24
    Hi everyone!
    I started the CG method about 3 weeks ago now,and my hair does feel much softer (my hair is oooverprocessed,bleached,dyed for 8 years). I trimmed my ends about 5cms or more before starting the method,to get better results.
    Well,I use Suave coconut conditioner for co-wash,I love it (put more honey in it),and flaxseed gel in the end.
    The problem is that - how I mentioned,my hair feels softer - but it does not have any curl definiton at all. My hair looks like a mop. (it used to be like that for like 5 years before I started the CG so it's not something new).
    I am going to buy VO5 Strawberry & Cream co. today,I hope it helps.
    What do I do wrong? Or shall I be just simply more patient?
    Natural hair colour growing out.:thumbright:
    Shoulder lenght 2b/2c medium with coarse,dry canopi.
    Co-wash: Suave Coconut
    Rinse out: Suave Milk & Honey
    DT: Conditioner with honey,avocado,etc..
    Leave in: Home made FSG with Conditioner.
    Dislikes: oils,gel by itself (the scrunchy feeling ewww),VO5 products.:sad3:

CG since 30th May 2009.
    Proud to be Hungarian in Bolivia :occasion9:
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Registered Users Posts: 345
    Szandra wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    I started the CG method about 3 weeks ago now,and my hair does feel much softer (my hair is oooverprocessed,bleached,dyed for 8 years). I trimmed my ends about 5cms or more before starting the method,to get better results.
    Well,I use Suave coconut conditioner for co-wash,I love it (put more honey in it),and flaxseed gel in the end.
    The problem is that - how I mentioned,my hair feels softer - but it does not have any curl definiton at all. My hair looks like a mop. (it used to be like that for like 5 years before I started the CG so it's not something new).
    I am going to buy VO5 Strawberry & Cream co. today,I hope it helps.
    What do I do wrong? Or shall I be just simply more patient?

I think you should be more patient. It can take up to 8 weeks for your hair to fully adjust to the CG method. Believe me, I know!
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• SzandraSzandra Registered Users Posts: 24
    Thank you NoraCurl,yes I guess I supposed to be more patient. I have mixed my CO with some Palmer's coconut oil formula and SAO for DT and I love the results!
    Natural hair colour growing out.:thumbright:
    Shoulder lenght 2b/2c medium with coarse,dry canopi.
    Co-wash: Suave Coconut
    Rinse out: Suave Milk & Honey
    DT: Conditioner with honey,avocado,etc..
    Leave in: Home made FSG with Conditioner.
    Dislikes: oils,gel by itself (the scrunchy feeling ewww),VO5 products.:sad3:

CG since 30th May 2009.
    Proud to be Hungarian in Bolivia :occasion9:
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Registered Users Posts: 345
    Szandra wrote: »
    Thank you NoraCurl,yes I guess I supposed to be more patient. I have mixed my CO with some Palmer's coconut oil formula and SAO for DT and I love the results!

You're welcome:icon_smile:My hair looked like crap the first 2 weeks but now the curls are forming a lot better. My hair loves oils too!:D
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    This is supposed to be an ask Deva thread, and about Deva thread, not Vo5 co wash blah blah, store crap thread, a people USING Deva thread.
    I use Deva, I have very fine bottecelli curls with a very slow wave pattern at the roots. My routine is very simple and without all this hair drama! I use no poo every day, my hair gets clean, it is so gentle yet cleansing that I don't even need conditioner, ever. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angel[/buylink] and scrunch and let it dry, voila perfect frizz free curls and I live in Florida. When it is dry I gently break it up, the end. Sometimes less is more. I just stick with what works. I have used no poo every day for about 9 years. I'm pretty sick of all the Deva bashing, if you don't like it don't use it, just quit whining about it.
  • pinkapaloozapinkapalooza Registered Users Posts: 54
    Wow curlpro. A little harsh don't you think? No body was bashing. If people post things you don't appreciate, either ignore it or might want to approach it in a little bit nicer way.
    curlpro wrote: »
    This is supposed to be an ask Deva thread, and about Deva thread, not Vo5 co wash blah blah, store crap thread, a people USING Deva thread.
    I use Deva, I have very fine bottecelli curls with a very slow wave pattern at the roots. My routine is very simple and without all this hair drama! I use no poo every day, my hair gets clean, it is so gentle yet cleansing that I don't even need conditioner, ever. I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]arc angel[/buylink] and scrunch and let it dry, voila perfect frizz free curls and I live in Florida. When it is dry I gently break it up, the end. Sometimes less is more. I just stick with what works. I have used no poo every day for about 9 years. I'm pretty sick of all the Deva bashing, if you don't like it don't use it, just quit whining about it.
    Medium/Coarse, Thick, Medium Porosity, 3B Hair
    Wash: Suave Daily Clarifying- once a month
    Co-wash: Vo5 Vanilla Mint Tea
    Rinse out: 50:50 co-wash & Honey
    Leave-in: Vo5
    Gel: LaBella Level 10 hold

ACV rinses weekly
    Pixie curling & air drying

Like to play with new products!

• curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Hi, Didn't mean to sound harsh, maybe you didn't see the vicious personal and professional attacks on Lorraine and Deva Curl on some other posts and popular blogs, they rubbed me the wrong way. I guess I am guilty of the same tone only in reverse I apologize. As an aside there is a lot of content I don't comment on for just that reason, because really, weren't we taught as kids, if you don't have anything nice to say why say anything at all? As a rule my posts are only meant to be helpful and share some of the professional knowlege I have acquired being a hairstylist for 25 years. Apologies again, just a fierce and loyal fan of all Lorraine has given my industry, because before Lorraine nobody knew what to do with curls.
    Cynthia Cheslock,
    Curl Stylist
    St. Petersburg, Florida
  • faithcurliefaithcurlie Registered Users Posts: 28

Here's my routine:

Try stopping using shampoo all together. Some of the "sulfate-free" shampoos still have other harsh detergents in them, which strip oils just as badly as sulfates too. Definitely try the No-Poo (DevaCurl or DevaCare). Vigerously rub the scalp with the no-poo and rinse thorougly, and follow up with the One Condition. The trick to this haircare line, as well as other lines, is to use the products in conjunction with one another. Also, are you drying your hair with a towel? If so, stop. Try to touch your hair as little as possible after applying your styling products in the shower. Just apply, shake, and blot with a paper towel. HTH!
    3c/4a TWA - BC August 2008
    4.5" of growth in 11 months!
    staples: DevaCurl One C (condish) DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCare One C (leave-in), DevaCurl Set it Free (lock in moisture), DevaCare Arc Angell (for humid days or when I want a defined curl), DevaCurl Mirror Curls (de-frizz serum), Jessicurl WDT (DT)
  • faithcurliefaithcurlie Registered Users Posts: 28
    LoVeMYhair wrote: »
    I love the products! Well the no poo is the best in my opinion. I have I think 4a hair. Basically it leaves the hair super soft and smells great! My question is, is it safe to just use the OneCondition, for co-washing, and is the Mist-er good for using for jus moisturizing my ends?

Also, and salons near the Ga Grayson area?

The Mist-er Right is designed as a curl reviver basically for 2nd or 3rd day hair. I pretty much use it to re-activate what I had already applied on wash day. Deva Set-It Free is good for moisturizing your ends, but you really shouldnt bother with the spritzer. Just pour into your hands and comb thru with your fingers. HTH!
    3c/4a TWA - BC August 2008
    4.5" of growth in 11 months!
    staples: DevaCurl One C (condish) DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCare One C (leave-in), DevaCurl Set it Free (lock in moisture), DevaCare Arc Angell (for humid days or when I want a defined curl), DevaCurl Mirror Curls (de-frizz serum), Jessicurl WDT (DT)
  • Tanya.NikiiTanya.Nikii Registered Users Posts: 1

Here's my routine:

I had a very noticeable frizz problem when I started using olive oil conditioners regularly/exclusively. And I air dried my hair too... When I switched my conditioner, the frizziness stopped.

~T
    3b (mostly) with some strands by my left ear that are straight for some strange reason

"I'm a lazy girl with big dreams."
  • Waves84Waves84 Registered Users Posts: 64
    How can i do the curly girl method using the products i already have? i've actually been using no sulfate products for about 5 yrs and just started alernating between L'Oreal's new 100% vegan line sulfate free line & burts bees - i've also been using a microfiber towel - thanks
    2B - Just below BSL
    CG as of 7/11

Low Poo - GioSAS, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Shampoo
    Co-wash- Suave Coconut
    Rinse out - GioSAS codish, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Codish, Alterna Caviar Codish
    Currently auditioning the following products - BRHG, Ecostyler Argan Oil, SMSmoothie, Dep Sport Gel, LaBellaLotsofCurls, Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin Mask, LI & Potion, LOOB, Aussie Sydney Smooth....Just want frizz free waves w/ some curls...
  • confuzedcurlsconfuzedcurls Registered Users Posts: 12
    I began following the CG methods and using all deva products nearly 6 months ago - no poo, one condition, set-it free, angell, & mister right. I'm on & off though because when I exclusively use deva products I have an itchy buildup on my scalp. The only way I have been able to get rid of the buildup (and itch) is sulfate shampoo. I can only go about 5-7 days before the buildup is so much and itch so bad that I have to shampoo with a sulfate.

Possible problem 1: I noticed there is a amodimethicone in the angell and one conditioner. Aren't -cones supposed to be avoided per CG methods because only sulfates can remove -cone buildup?

Possible problem 2: I've heard some people are sensitive to protein. No-poo has 2 amino acids (proteins). could this be the culprit? But I tried conditioner only washes for 2 weeks once and the problem still continued? Maybe not the proteins.

Anyone else experienced this?
    Any suggestions would be great!

Thank!
    Confuzed Curls
    Hair Type: 2B in crown, 2C & 3A in length, Cii
    Products: DevaCurl ~ No-Poo & One Conditioner, Angell, Set It Free, Mister Right
    Leave in: Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter
  • 1supercurlygirly1supercurlygirly Registered Users Posts: 1
    I've noticed a build up w/ the Deva produts recently too. I have been using Deva products EXCLUSIVELY for @ 2years now. I even go to a Deva stylist to get my hair cut. I have sworn by Deva...until recently! :sad: The past 6 months or so I have noticed a build up, and a sometimes itchy residue on my scalp. My stylist has noticed it too. It's bringing my curls down.:dontknow: Sadly, I've decided to stop using it for a while. I've just stared using Mop Top a few days ago, and so far I have'nt noticed any build up.

Does anyon know if Deva recently changed their formula, or what could have cause the sudden residue build up?????
    Thanks,
    D.
  • curlyjamcurlyjam Registered Users Posts: 9
    I've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink] and One conditioner for two months now and my scaulp is starting to itch. I also use Arch Angell. Help. :-|
    3a/b fine high porosity
  • browncurlz30browncurlz30 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am not sure what type of hair I have. I want to start using Deva. After having a baby a lot of my curl went away. This is the best pic I have right now. Does anybody know what type I am?
  • DEVAloverDEVAlover Registered Users Posts: 2
    Does Lorraine have plans to revise/update the Curly Girl book?

Yes she in the process of that, among many things! The Deva towel and the re package of deva curl color balance shampoos to name a few. The book was pre deva product, no need to formulate the formulas in the book, they came to life and are on shelves, Deva is the #1 product in the professional industry for curly girls/guys too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file