CurlTalk

Digital Cameras - update post #23 with questions

goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
We have a pocket sized point and shoot Casio Exilim digital camera but I want something that takes better pictures (and probably a faster shutter speed).

What do you have?

I've noticed a few of you post wonderful pictures (medussa and iris I'm talking to you two, though there are plenty others I can't think of this moment)
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I have an older DSLR, a Nikon D70. It's only 6.1 MP but still takes phenomenal pictures. Nikon's newest prosumer DSLR is the Nikon D90.

I think this is the perfect time to upgrade your camera. :)
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Are you looking for another pocket size or larger?

I have a smallish Nikon Coolpix 5700 that I love, but I also have a pocket-sized Canon SD800IS digital elph when I need to throw it in my purse or something. The Canon takes great photos despite it's small size. :) However, I can still get the Nikon into a fanny pack for travel/hiking as well.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    I have a canon powershot A540. I'm not sure how it compares to other cameras but I really like it. It was only a little over a hundred bucks a few years ago and still going strong. It's pretty durable and easy to use too judging by the pictures I sometimes find on my memory card that my 3 year old has obviously taken.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    Sorry I thought I had mentioned that we're most likely looking at either an advanced digital point and shoot or a digital SLR.

We have the Casio which is a great point and shoot pocket sized digital and a Panasonic Lumix, which is a standard sized digital.

We'll keep the two other cameras (though the Casio is our primary camera). But we're okay getting a bulkier camera -- for the purpose of great pics :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    I have a Canon SD600 Elph. It takes great pictures and has a really fast shutter speed. When I bought it, it had the fastest of the point and shoots available at that time. It's also small and fairly durable.

My friend is a professional photographer and she just bought this Panasonic Lumix at Costco to use as her everyday, keep in her purse camera. It's not as small as my Elph because of the zoom, but it's plenty small.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Goldy, I'm trying to send you a PM. But your Inbox is full.

It's long and I don't want to delete, so go do some spring cleaning! :lol:
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Also, since MrsPoppers has been entertaining my endless camera shopping, I will share with you what I shared with her yesterday. Don't buy into the hype that more megapixels is better, google the myth of megapixels. There are some really enlightening articles that could save you some big bucks on your purchase.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    gekko422 wrote: »
    Also, since MrsPoppers has been entertaining my endless camera shopping, I will share with you what I shared with her yesterday. Don't by into the hype that more megapixels is better, google the myth of megapixels. There are some really enlightening articles that could save you some big bucks on your purchase.
    ITA
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Also, since MrsPoppers has been entertaining my endless camera shopping, I will share with you what I shared with her yesterday. Don't buy into the hype that more megapixels is better, google the myth of megapixels. There are some really enlightening articles that could save you some big bucks on your purchase.

ITA. Ken Rockwell has a great website where he discusses this. Check it out!
    You people quoted my typo and now I can't fix it. :(

I like the use of "you people."

I fixed the quote. :tongue:
    You're the bestest EVAH!!! (No matter what Wile says about you :p)

medussa.. pm box is clear
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    My camera's at home, but I think this is what I have:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.screenwall.com%2Fitem.asp%3FPID%3D791%26amp%3BCID%3D43" class="Popup

It's silver, it's an Olympus, and it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.0 megapixels - I'll have to check later if this is mine.

<---- And, it took that lovely shot of this cute little guy to your left!
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    i have a pentax 6mp, if ur interested. otherwise the canon (sureshot?) seems really good
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Hubby has a Canon digital Rebel that he loves. Great pictures!
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    You're the bestest EVAH!!! (No matter what Wile says about you :p)
    :D
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    LisaF1163 wrote: »
    My camera's at home, but I think this is what I have:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.screenwall.com%2Fitem.asp%3FPID%3D791%26amp%3BCID%3D43" class="Popup

It's silver, it's an Olympus, and it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.0 megapixels - I'll have to check later if this is mine.

<---- And, it took that lovely shot of this cute little guy to your left!
    Quoting myself to clarify which camera now that I'm home. I was close - it's an Olympus FE-230, 7.1 megapixels.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I like my Kodak EasyShare V803 (w/ 8mp). It's user friendly and ideal if you have kids or just love taking good pictures in general, I suppose. But, if I didn't have a child, I would settle for my camera phone since I don't like getting my own picture taken.
  • leenieleenie Posts: 194Registered Users
    I'm looking for a new digital camera too. So, I'm bumping this thread!
    "Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it" ~ Bill Cosby
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I *love* my Canon S5 IS!

If you're *really* willing to handle the bulk, I recommend a dSLR. But I love my camera if you're going to go the point and shoot direction. I just graduated to fully manual when using it, but just in auto it works well, too. It's a really awesome camera.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    So hubby and I are going to go check out some cameras at Ritz Camera in the next day or two.

We're going to look at DSLR and Advanced digital P&S.

If you have a DSLR - which one? Do you like it - what do you like and what don't you like? Do you find it easy to use... and was it easy to learn to use?

If you have an Advanced digital point-and-shoot - which one? Do you like it - what do you like and what don't you like? Are you happy with the quality of pictures?
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • brown_eyedgal20brown_eyedgal20 Posts: 412Registered Users
    I am also in the market for a new camera (DH doesn't like that I want ANOTHER one though). I would like a DSLR, been looking at the Nikon D40 or D40X (looks like it is for beginners to the whole SLR thing).
    2c/3aMiii

Loving JC and CK products...:) Been loving them for 3 years...looking to branch out and try new things!!!
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I have a DSLR (Canon Rebel XTi) that I bought a couple of years ago and I am really happy with it. Canon has since come out with a few upgraded Rebel models--XS, XSi, & T1i--so you can probably find my version at a discount.

The latest model (T1i) is on pre-order right now & also has an HD movie capture mode. <insert drool smilie right here>

There are auto modes on DSLR cameras, so, really, you should be able to just take it out of the box, charge it up and start shooting. Reading the instructions probably won't hurt, either. :)

If you want to take advantage of the manual modes, I'd suggest you buy a supplemental book or take a class. There are plenty of good websites out there, too, but it was all pretty foreign to me until I had someone right there in front of me to explain it all.
    33abhqq.gif