Is this not right for me?

clariaclaria Registered Users Posts: 20
I don't have curly hair but rather wavy with a few loose curls in the bottom. It's not dry at all but rather gets greasy pretty quickly, if I dont shampoo every 2 days. I did start CG about 2 weeks ago. I clarified with Herbal Essences and have been using suave and HETT gel/plopping for 15 minutes in a tshirt. My hair is getting quite limp and even the waves aren't that pronounced. I've also lost quite a bit of volume which is strange because I have a lot of hair. It always feel a tad greasy and can get a tad so in the roots. Also, the flakes have happened and at some point I had to wash my roots with shampoo to get rid of them again. I don't know if maybe my hair isn't right for this. The thing is I don't have dry hair that seems to occur with those with curly hair..Im thinking of my sister when I say this.

So maybe the conditioner is too much for me? I've been scrubbing crazy hard and that is helping the flakes a bit, but still happens after 2 co-washes or so. I had one beautiful day, and it was beautiful! I had never had curls and volume like that. The thing is I had first clarified with VO5 and then 3 days in, I got that hair. I then also got major flakes, tried lemon juice which dried my hair completely and also the flakes were still there. That's when I clarified again with the HE and after that, my hair has never been that nice. Any help??

Comments

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    If you don't get dry hair and your waves are getting limpy, it sounds like CG might be too moisturizing for your hair. You can still go gentle with your hair. There's a compromise. Why not CO wash every other time you wash your hair? Or use a sulfate-free shampoo most times with a sulfate shampoo for a once a week clarifying?
    If you find your roots get too greasy, maybe you can do what's called the CWC method, in which you put conditioner on the length of your hair and then shampoo the top part around your roots? You might not need the second conditioner that goes with the CWC method. (The two C's stand for conditioning and the W stands for wash (or shampoo)). The scalp wash might help add volume...and if you use a light conditioner for your ends, maybe that won't weigh your hair down. There's different things you can do to be gentle with your hair, so try those ideas and see what works for you.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • clariaclaria Registered Users Posts: 20
    I think Im gonig to try that. Because hoenstly, my hair is crap when I use shampoo. That one day of curls is tangling in front of me. Yesterday I found a bottle of Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo and it was SLS-free. There are no cones right?

Purified water, organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice(1), sodium cocoyl sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoyl sarcosinate, vegetable glycerin, serenoa serrulata (saw palmetto) fruit extract, panthenol (pro-vitamin B-5), biotin, thiamine, pyridoxine, niacin, riboflavin, polyquaternium-10, wheat protein, soy protein, citric acid, soyamidopropalkonium chloride, jojoba oil, organic helianthus annuus (sunflower) oil(2), sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, ethylhexylglycerin, organic rosamarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil(2) and other essential oils.

So I washed my scalp with it and then conditioned lentth/ends with suave. Then waited 5 min after I scrunched out the water with a tshirt. I then plopped for an hour. It was pretty good, flakes were a bare minimum.

However, does anyone get a major case of flyaways? This only went away the next day when I woke up. My hair on the sides looks nicer and with good volume. Although the back is quite straight, how can I fix this? I think Im going to get VO5 or LOPV and some diff types of gels. What is reccomended for frizz and more defined curls?

Last thing, I really need to cut my hair as it has been almost 6 months and its quite damaged and I think that's why my hair is acting as it is. Hopefully, I can keep up with this. I think Im going to try to condition my scalp with VO5 since I heard its thinner. And alternate that with Avalon (Going to get Giovani soon) If that still gets my roots greasy, then just use sls shampoo on the roots and cond on the ends. Thank you again!!
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Occording to the book, wavies are not suppose to give up poo, just cut back. Wavies also do not need the deep treatments a curly does.

Here is what should help. Wet hair. Apply conditioner just to your ends and then shampoo at the root with a gentle shampoo. (Usually baby shampoo or a natural shampoo is good if the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva Low Poo[/buylink] or something similiar is too expensive. Stay away from shampoos with SLS, SLES, ALS, and ALES. Use nothing stronger than cocomidopropyl betaine.) Rinse. Then apply a light amount of conditioner to your hair again and rinse. Style with Gel as usual.

You should only have to shampoo twice a week for the first two or three weeks. Then cut back to once a week and see how it works out. If your hair starts getting gunky again, then go back to twice a week shampoos.

Wavy hair is also usually a little stronger than curly so you should not need a lot of proteins.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file