Mirena IUC ... anybody have one?

cajuncurlscajuncurls Posts: 270Registered Users
I'm scheduled to get the Mirena intrauterine contraceptive on Wednesday. Anybody have one/heard something positive/negative about it?
Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
- Eagles

age.png

age.png

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I just had mine inserted a month ago. So far so good.... the insertion was far less painful than I was expecting. I was crampy for a couple of weeks and now I feel totally fine.

It seemed like the right choice for me. DH and I are done having kids but don't want to make any permanent decision. I'm breastfeeding so I didn't want to take the pill.

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I also have the Mirena. This is my second one. I had the first one in for 3 years and no complaints. I got it removed so we could try for another baby and got pregnant within 2 or 3 months. I also love not having a period. I've had this one in for 6 months which they put it in when I had my csection. From what I remember about the insertion the first time, it wasn't so much painful, but really uncomfortable.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Satan's tool. Perforated my uterus and I had to have surgery to get it out.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Why doesn't he get snipped?
    No way I'm putting one of those inside me...
    fark that...

:dontknow:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    fark that...

I agree. I'm too much of a wuss to ever get an IUD. I LOVE the vasectomy.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    fark that...

I agree. I'm too much of a wuss to ever get an IUD. I LOVE the vasectomy.

I agree with that, if you're 100% sure you don't want another bebe. Hubby is willing but we want to wait a few years to make sure we won't change our minds.

I have the copper IUD, and I was nervous about insertion, but it was no big deal. I had some crampy pain, nothing too bad. Take 800 mg of ibuprofen about an hour before.
    ehLB.jpg
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Absolutely...hubby was willing as well, but I had other plans...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had the Mirena for a few months, and I thought I liked it ok. Then I took it out, and it turned out I wasn't feeling hormonal because of PP hormones and breastfeeding like I thought, but because of the IUD. If I get one again, it would be the copper one, but I'm honestly a little weary of getting something stuck up there again. I have no idea what we're going to do for birth control after this baby.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    I have the mirena as well. Insertion was moderately painful and uncomfortable for me, and the night after I had the worst cramps of my life. I had slight cramps and twinges for a couple weeks afterward but since then everything has been fine. While I don't like my periods being irregular like they have been since I've had it inserted in November, that is a side effect they state so I'm willing to deal with it.

I've been on every other type of birth control and have hated each one for one reason or another. As long as this continues to not cause any serious problems I'm digging it. While hubby is down with getting snipped we don't want to take any permanent measures right now, we're only in our late 20's and may decide to add to our family down the road.
    .png

.png
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i have the paragard, the copper, non-hormonal one. hormone birth control makes me psychotic, so the mirena was not an option.

the insertion was not a biggie, and i've had no problems with it at all. my periods are a tiny bit heavier, i've had some light spotting in between periods, and i have slightly worse cramps, but that's it.

i am so glad i got it and don't have to even think about it at all anymore. huge relief.

i was considering the diaphragm, but i'm glad my midwife talked me out of it - she was right about the need to snatch any spontaneous moment we can get our hands on these days! lol!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• drrazdrraz Posts: 2Registered Users
    I had a Mirena put in 3 mos after having my DS. Insertion was a tiny pinch, no big deal at all. I had NO cramps, and no cycle again for 3 1/2 yrs. The only thing I'm not sure of is the fact that I gained a fair bit of weight after that, not sure if it was the stress of a new baby + financial stress, or if it was due to the Mirena.

We had the IUD taken out in Aug, and got pg in Dec. I don't know what we'll do next time. DH says he misses the IUD! LOL
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I've had a Mirena since July. No problems with insertion, no cramping, no cycle (I am breastfeeding but have been supplementing during the day for a couple of months. I haven't had trouble with weight loss yet beyond what I normally have. So far, I like it, we can't have another baby right now but we were not ready to say we are all done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file