Do you feel tech challenged?

starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I do! My teenaged daughter has a cell phone (which she bought herself and pays the monthly bill for also) which is like a mini computer. She figured it out in about ten minutes. I look at it and I'm scratching my head.

Technology is changing so fast. I can't keep up with it. Actually, it's kind of frustrating! Someone tell me I'm not the only one!
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.

Comments

• SilverwoodSilverwood Posts: 39Registered Users
    You're not alone. For years, I've told people that the reason God gave us teenagers was to figure out all the new devices that are constantly being invented.
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Too funny Silverwood! And so true!
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,745Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just bought a DVD player 2 weeks ago. I had been using a VCR I purchased 15 years ago. It still flashes 12:00 becuz I can't figure out how to set the clock. I never figured out how to record with it either. I also just got a new cell phone that has the camera and video. I haven't figured out how to use them yet. I had my daughter enter in the names and #s in my address book. My computer is old and will probably crash and die on me anyday. I don't have the money to replace it, so if you don't hear from me you'll know why. (I really need to find a husband! :lol: )
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've had cell phones for 10 years or so and have never put one phone number into the memory. Too many steps! It's just not worth using up the space in my feeble brain to remember all this stuff! If I really need to know something I read the manual. Or ask a kid. Forget teenagers, the kids in my niece's kindergarten class know more than I do!!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can sort of hold my own with the basics on a computer, but that is about it.

I only use my cell phone to call out. Tell people if they call me it is never on. Of course, at our age my eyes are so bad even if I knew how, I wouldn't be able to see to text msg, instant msg, take pictures or whatever.

My husband still has trouble with the DVD player so I don't even attempt it. He even programs my soap daily in the VCR for me.

If anything else in the house goes high tech, I know I'm doomed.
    3b/c
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    I really wish I knew the computer better. I dont know how to post pics, create an avatar and everything else that goes to being computer savey.
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • CopperWavesCopperWaves Posts: 83Registered Users
    Sometimes I do....new computer user...new member here.I did figure out how to post pics and created an avartar! It's not the best photo(reducing size affects quality) but I was proud I figured it out. My kids and grandkids teach me alot!!! :)
    My hair is not the boss of me!!!!
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i am pretty good with most techie stuff--but i cannot figure out how to record dvd's from the tv on my dvd/vcr. otherwise, cell phones, digital cameras, computers-no problem. my husband tho--fageddaboutit. he cannot figure out any of this stuff but he can fix anything!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Silverwood wrote:
    You're not alone. For years, I've told people that the reason God gave us teenagers was to figure out all the new devices that are constantly being invented.

ABSOLUTELY!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    No way man. I am all over the new toys. I have a cell phone I use constantly for texting, pictures, etc., ipod, lcd flat panel hdtv, dvd player, 2 laptops (one my own, one work), and a blackberry. I love all my technotoys!!!!
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have my admiration gekko and everyone else who can figure this stuff out. Maybe if I had more time..........
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    Well, I'm like most of you...I'm computer friendly, but not on an intimate level! :lol: That is, I know the basics but unless I get some help from my youngest son, who is the techy in our family, I'm doomed with the pics, avatars, etc.

As to the cell phones, the simpler the better for me. Shoot, I can't even figure out how to go back to the default voice mail message the phone comes with. Been trying to program it for weeks! :oops:
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in the club too. I was worried that the iPhone's technology would overwhelm me! I still havent' figured out how to use our FiOs DVR machine -- we've been paying extra for that sucker for almost 2 years.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm at the point where I'm no longer technologically challenged, but I just don't care to keep up anymore.
    I like my little old cell phone, my cheap little camera, my cheap little mp3 player, my 2 year old laptop.
    I do NOT want to use my phone to stay connected 24 hours a day. My phone has no camera, no keyboard, doesn't connect to the internet, I can't post to facebook or anywhere else, I can't download ringtones. I don't want to read a book on my phone. I don't want to keep track of 4356 apps on my phone. I just want to call and text, use my laptop when I'm at home, and read real books.
    Now that I think of it, I haven't learned anything new in a couple years. Yay me!! : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • xxxxxxxxxx Posts: 94Registered Users
    x
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No, because I am more comfortable with computers than my family members (even the teenagers) so I am the one who will open up the 'puter to put in new memory, the one they come to if they get a virus, the one who sets up any new stuff in the house.

But compared to someone who loves new toys, yes, since we don't buy a lot of stuff. But really to me it seems like each generation of devices is easier to use, not harder.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My husband and I are somewhat with Robin-in-FL in that we're much more comfortable with tech stuff than any of our friends(only a few as our social circle has narrowed considerably due to circumstances)and family. We're in our 60s. However, I am very selective about what I use. I love my computer, the Internet and the digital arts since I'm an artist, but I hardly ever use a phone. But that latter has been true since I was a teen - I never enjoyed being on the phone to just yak. I'd rather see someone face to face, or these days, e-mail and Facebook are my main ways of communication. We've also had no TV for 25 years, so the whole flat-screen TV thing passed us by. No plans to buy one either as we're not fans of TV at all. I'm pretty shy in person, so electronic writing is perfect for me! My husband has more gadgets than I do since he's a photographer and the shift to digital has revitalized his work in numerous ways - it's all good. He just got an iPad and I want one of these too as they ARE really cool! For our cell phones, we just have simple ones on a cheap pre-paid plan, and no one else knows our cell numbers save for us too. We still have our land line for everyone else. All of the above is highly unusual for people in our age group(60s)as it seems that people 50 and up are still deathly afraid of technology and think they have to do something like "take a class on how to use that Internet thing" - LOL! when actually one can learn very easily with one's younger relative for instance.
    Then there are other technologies that I never even bothered with, like VCRs because they seemed so clunky. It's a whole lot easier to pop a DVD into one's drive/player and watch the movie - LOL Even easier will be the movie downloads!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file