Build up of products

Lil'curlsLil'curls Registered Users Posts: 275
This may sound silly, but how do you know if you have product build up on your hair? I've heard lots of discussion about it, but I'm still not sure. Thanks. :)
Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
Shampoo: DCLP
Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
Co Wash: Suave
Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    For me, my hair just doesn't curl well - just kind of limp and hangs there.

That said, if you did a final cleanse with sulfate shampoo before starting CG and you don't use anything with 'cones, mineral oil, petrolatum, etc. you should be OK. If in doubt, though, low-poo and/or do baking soda and ACV rinses to see if they improve it's behavior.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Lil'curlsLil'curls Registered Users Posts: 275
    I've been doing CG for about a year now, but I was never able to find products that didn't have cones in them. Now, I'm using the Deva Products, and the Condish and Gel have Amodimethicone. I've heard that it causes problems for some and not for others, so I just need to know what to look for. Thanks so much. :)
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    If you're happy with the results, you likely don't have build up. To me, build up makes my hair feel lanky, the curls looks weird, and my scalp/hair feel dirty.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I have ArcAngell in my rotation, and it's never caused me any problem. I use a sample of Set it Free occasionally and the wax in it does cause me problems if I only co-wash - it takes low-pooing to remove it, for me. Amodimethicone is in some other products I sometimes use, and it hasn't caused a problem, but then I low-poo about every 7-10 days.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • k_vssyk_vssy Registered Users Posts: 240
    I'm tempted to say that if you have buildup you'll know it...my hair just feels gross when something isn't going right.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
  • darcurldarcurl Registered Users Posts: 586
    yea, i would say, if you look in a mirror and you feel like there is something wrong with your appearance, you might have build up. otherwise, you would look in the mirror and feel great. the mirror is often the teller, of course the mirror and the way i feel usually agree, so if i feel bad, and look bad, there is some nasty build up.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
  • darcurldarcurl Registered Users Posts: 586
    wax is no good, def. build up i do not think there are any water soluble waxes out there.

amodimethicone, i have not been able to really know if it is better to be left out, but i have this gut feeling, that we should stay away from it.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Build up is usually not hard to diagnose. If your hair is excessively oily, rough, frizzy, dull, lacking definition, crusty, crunchy, really dry, gunky feeling, these are all signs of build up of one thing or another.

The symptom determines what is most likely the culprit.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    In my opinion if you have buildup you would notice that;
    1. Your scalp appears to be 'dirty' (In extreme cases of course)
    2. Itchy scalp
    3. Your curls might look displaced and frizzier than usual
    4. When you wash you hair with your usual routine it feels squishy...
    Hope my descriptions helped. Then again like others said. If you have buildup sometimes you'll just know.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09