Lost the rag with TreSemme

ural0000ural0000 Registered Users Posts: 114
After watching that advert with the curly haired girl getting her 'do ruined with their smoothing line, I've just lost the rag (blame post-night-shift-irritability).
Just sent them a withering comment through their website's contact tool.
Did you know that they don't even give you the option to make a complaint? All they give you is various options for product enquiries and the option "compliment". Twats.

Right. Rant over. That's better.
Curling it in Scotland the modCG way since September 2008.
Long suffering wavy - 2a/b.

Low-poo:
  • Naked Rescue or Care
Conditioners:
  • Original Source (any variety)
  • Naked Care and Naked Rescue DT
  • ASDA Essential Care Mango&Passionfruit or Coconut&Tiare
Stylers:
  • Boots Essentials Curl Creme
  • Boots Essentials Strong Hold Gel (purple)

Comments

• goldencurls8goldencurls8 Registered Users Posts: 115
    Tee hee, good for you! :lol:There were a few rants about that ad in here awhile ago, it is on heavy rotation in the U.K., it is soooo annoying! :angry5: "Ooh I looked like a POODLE!" What offensive creeps Tresemme are! And to think I once used their conditioner, never again!
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    Why not just click on the compliment link and then complain? That oughta catch 'em off guard!

I remember the curly line commercial, such fake looking curls...I too once used their condish and it sucked.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• ural0000ural0000 Registered Users Posts: 114
    That is precisely what I have done. While pointing out rather facetiously that they have neglected to give me the option to complain.:angry5:

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    Ack, I hate this ad too!!! I actually just started a topic about it because I hadn't seen this one.

for anyone that hasn't seen it, this is the ad in question:
    http://www.visit4info.com/advert/Leo-Recommends-TRESemm-Smooth-Collection-TRESemm/68792
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
    Oh, they did send me an answer, btw.
    Which condescendingly pointed out that the girl was not only concerned about her curly texture, but also about the "excess volume" and that, obviously, they were oh so apologetic about having offended me.
    Just as well I never bought their products, otherwise they would just have lost a customer.
    They can flump right off, as far as I'm concerned.

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • ChristinabChristinab Registered Users Posts: 15
    Yuk. Horrible advert. And their reply to ural0000 is even worse!

What on earth is so 'excess' about that volume? If my hair looked like that (instead of the messy, fuzzy waves it prefers) it would be the best hair day ever. I love that woman's hair.

'I looked like a poodle!!'
    Oh please...
  • charlottelovesjellycharlottelovesjelly Registered Users Posts: 3
    I know! Every time I watch that advert I say to my (straight haired) mum or my (straight haired) friends 'why can't they just promote the curls and give her a curl style that she's happy with?' I mean, they make it look like the only answer is to straighten your hair with the 'mermory technology' so you can have straighter hair for longer! :sad3:
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Registered Users Posts: 844 Curl Neophyte
    O/T: ural0000, is your screenname from the Ural mountains? If so, that's so cute!

The Tresemme commercial annoys me not because they gave the girl a straight style, but because they called her a poodle. Tresemme has a line out for curls (from which I have bought one product); am I supposed to think my hair is poodle-ish? If so, what's the point of buying the curls line; I am apparently doomed to it anyway? Why don't they advertise more for their curls line? It seems to make more sense to me to advertise their line of curl products because most people have curly hair and would love a fuss- and heat-free way to do them.
  • spacegirl2050spacegirl2050 Registered Users Posts: 1
    In this advert a young woman walks into a salon asking the hairdresser to tame her out of control POODLE dog like hair all because it is curly hair!!!!!

I'd like to make the point that her curly hair looks just lovely, the only issue with her hair is that TreSemme back-combed and frizzed it up on propose to sell their products to straighten hair.

This is hateful term to refer to people with curly hair as dogs and poodles! This advert is offensive and is encouraging bigots and racist people to call people like myself POODLES, Dogs and other very racist terms.

This advert as it is on all the time in the UK encouraging people to hate ethnic people, ethnic hair or anyone with curly hair regardless of ethnicity. They are making out that curly hair is something to be ashamed of and corrected; in other words they are projecting the idea that curly haired people need corrected, wiped out and put straight and they are WRONG!!! They should not be allow to use these derogative terms to promote hair care products that build up stereotypes that anyone without straighten hair is a discussing animal!

This is sending subliminal messages to young children that they should hate curly hair and in turn ethnic people. We should not have to suffer these hateful indignities in the 21th century and TreSemme should be put straight. The pun is intended.

We should love our curly hair in all it's glory and beauty and never listen to sales men trying to play on insecurities of women whom are not a ease with themselves!
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    Yeah, I agree, my first response was "why don't they just give her curls she likes and promote curly hair products?"
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    O/T: ural0000, is your screenname from the Ural mountains? If so, that's so cute!

No. It's a part of my old university mail address - first 2 letters of first and last name + 4 digits. It sounds very geographic, but I've used it ever since.

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,720
    How Ruuuuuude! Yeah really why can't they help us curlies out instead of poking fun at us and insist we be like everyone else!:director:
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
    Yeah, I agree, my first response was "why don't they just give her curls she likes and promote curly hair products?"

What do you mean with "curls she likes"?
    I'd bloody well KILL to have my hair do what her's does!

(on a sideline - her hair looks suspiciously like someone's taken some time with a serious curling iron... only few natural curls look that uniform...)

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I agree... pretty crappy.... then again, I quit using their cheap a** 2nd rate crap years ago.
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Registered Users Posts: 529
    I really don't like this commercial. It makes us think that anyone with even loosely curly hair to tight curls is a poodle :\ and that every person in this world has got to have stick, pin, poker-straight hair otherwise you'll look like a demented perm gone wrong (puh-lease). It's not fair >:( If they used the right products for her hair type and defined her curls the style would suit her much better! Besides, they had to use a hair straightener to get her look let alone their shampoo conditioner (and mousse, gel, cream, anyotherthingtheycanthinkof).

But then again maybe she didn't like her hair (which she should embrace) and just thought she would suit a straight style (which to me she doesn't)... ???
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

I think the ironic thing is that that girl's curls are quite probably the most uniform and perfect curls I've seen in a while (curls of the esteemed ladies on the board excluded, obviously....our curls are perfect BY DEFINITION! ;) )...
    hence my suspicion that there's been some curling iron action involved...
    But also: good point & well made, AllanahAngel, it's all part of the Big Identi-Chick Conspiration!

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately, there are curlies out there that think like this woman (or like her character on the ad) and think their hair looks like a poodle. Granted, I wouldn't have used the word "poodle" in the ad...but I think they are trying to sell to the women who hate their curls (likely because they don't know what to do with them) in order to sell this line of product. Again, I don't agree with it...but ads often touch on people's low self-confidence...show them what they're supposedly lacking...in order to sell a product.
    I hope they likewise make more of an effort to promote their curly line (although it's probably not all that good), in order to show that people can enjoy having their curls as well. I usually ignore ads, but I'm assuming they are not doing so, am I right?
    There are too many people that I know who would rather straighten their hair than figure out the science and art behind taking care of their curls. It's a shame, but it's reality. I think TreSemme is just feeding into that.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • curlyandproud124112curlyandproud124112 Registered Users Posts: 49
    This is awful! I say we storm the media! We should make our own "commercials" in protest and thenpost them on youtube! Let the curls fly!
    Hair Type: 2c/3a/3b
    Products: Redken ringlet 07, It works perfectly! a match made in heaven

I LOVE being curly!
    But also: good point & well made, AllanahAngel, it's all part of the Big Identi-Chick Conspiration!
    Thank you! Anyways I'm so glad I didn't try out these smoothing products. And 'smooth memory technology'? More like cones galore ;)
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

• So-RoSo-Ro Registered Users Posts: 1
    whenever that advert comes on i get super annoyed :) it makes me wanna shout at the tv :D
    'Leo' obviously doesn't style curls, i find this advert offensive to all curly girls out there and the straight hair didn't really suit her.. the way leo did it anyway...
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    She's got gorgeous curly hair. I would kill to have that volume. The ad is totally absurd and outrageous.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlieforlifecurlieforlife Registered Users Posts: 38
    Her hair fit her face and was much better earlier in the commercial!!!

The girl in the commercial is the type of girl who does NOT look good with straight hair. She went from being very pretty to ugh at the end of commercial for me. If that's how Treseme would make me look, I'm definitely not stepping into one of their saloons. :glasses9:

From chic to geek!!
    It's so weird that some people are just not meant to have straight hair or curls (their face shape and features). My cousins came over today and their hair was rag curled. The curls were cute but on them it just didn't look right. Their face shape just doesn't suit curly hair. However my cousin thinks she looks 'hot' but her hair kinda resembles a judge's wig ;) No offence to them but their hair is much better wavy and straight naturally. All I can say is "HA HA! I've got these curls by nature" :P I don't want to be mean or nasty but the whole time they were here I just kept staring at their hair thinking exactly that! But of course my head doesn't suit my hair being straight either, but curls are better!!!!
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file