I made my own deep conditioner.. we'll just see how it goes...

smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
Okay well I am probably the most impatient person in the world when it comes to my hair, so I just sprung for it and made my own deep conditioner without any instructions or any idea at all how to do it. Here are the ingredients:

- Vo5 Moisture Milks conditioner- about 1/4 cup?
- Apple Cider Vinegar- about 5 tbs?
- Honey- about 2 tbs?
- A pinch of baking soda :dontknow:
- A pinch of salt (Uh... uh... yeah... :dontknow: again)

I'm pretty sure that's all, but I really just threw in some random stuff. I think the results will be disastrous, but who knows?
ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif

Comments

• smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    I forgot to add- I don't have any shower caps so I just put a market basket bag on my head and put my curl ease towel over it, then wrapped it with a headband. :lol:
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    I probably wouldn't have put baking soda in it ...
    baking soda and other alkaline things lift the cuticle and make hair rougher and less shiny. In your recipe the baking soda will probably just neutralize some of the acid from the vinegar and make a funny smell while it's reacting.
    Oh great...
    Well, it's a good thing that only like 3 particles of baking soda actually made it into the mixture. No joke- I still have some on my fingertips. I don't think that will be much of an issue. Thank you!!!!
    I am so happy that I took that risk- my hair feels AMAZING and looks extra super-curly! I am pretty proud of myself. :occasion7: :lol: I left that stuff in my hair for an hour, and it smells a little bit but I'll add essential oil next time.
  • kinsie8kinsie8 Posts: 21Registered Users
    be very careful we use baking soda in beauty school to strip old Lady's hair from meds and product buildup...not to mention one time i colored my hair blond and i turned it blue, i used baking soda to strip PERMANENT hair dye... very very bad if your not stripping your hair
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Not sure why there's salt in your deep treatment? Seems like that would have the opposite effect you'd look for in a DT?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    Yeah I just wanted to add some random stuff and see how it went... I don't know what I was thinking, but I still have hair on my head and it is a normal color, so I think it was okay :toothy10: I just did another dt with two handfulls of normal conditioner. I coated my hair in it, put on another plastic bag, and used a blow dryer for heat. It worked amazingly- my hair has never looked better or more defined!!! I have officially found my HG :toothy10:
    kinsie8 wrote: »
    be very careful we use baking soda in beauty school to strip old Lady's hair from meds and product buildup...not to mention one time i colored my hair blond and i turned it blue, i used baking soda to strip PERMANENT hair dye... very very bad if your not stripping your hair

Blue?? That sounds like an interesting hair color... hehe. Thanks for the warning- I will never do that again!!!
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    The salt probably helped to enhance your curls. Some products contain Magnesium Sulfate which is Epsom salt to do this. So while it didn't help deep condition, it probably had something to do with those "super curls" you experienced. Try adding sunflower, safflower or olive oil if you want added moisturizing benefits. These you might have at home or can buy in the super market.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • aeroheadaerohead Curl Connoisseur Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kinsie8 wrote: »

hi there
    a lot of people on here use baking soda(bicarb), its what i use as part of my haircare routine, i mix it with conditioner leave it for about five minutes and then rinse it out with plain water then i run a final rinse of acv with filtered water..works just fine.
    But dont mix the bicarb and acv together..apparently not good:rabbit:(although i am only going off what i have read)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    http://public.fotki.com/aerohead/
  • Future WaveFuture Wave Posts: 154Registered Users
    aerohead wrote: »
    But dont mix the bicarb and acv together..apparently not good:rabbit:(although i am only going off what i have read)

Vinegar is an acid, Baking soda is alkaline. Mix the two together and it bubbles up as they react with each other. (Did you ever make one of those little pretend volcanoes in science class? Those are the ingredients you use - they just bubble up all over the place)

So basically, they'd be reacting with each other, and would do nothing good for your hair.
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats
  • aeroheadaerohead Curl Connoisseur Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Vinegar is an acid, Baking soda is alkaline. Mix the two together and it bubbles up as they react with each other. (Did you ever make one of those little pretend volcanoes in science class? Those are the ingredients you use - they just bubble up all over the place)

So basically, they'd be reacting with each other, and would do nothing good for your hair.

But would look pretty awesome in front of small kids or elderly relatives......hahaha look at my hair,...its a volcano!!!!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!:headbang::tongue3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    http://public.fotki.com/aerohead/
    belasuna wrote: »
    The salt probably helped to enhance your curls. Some products contain Magnesium Sulfate which is Epsom salt to do this. So while it didn't help deep condition, it probably had something to do with those "super curls" you experienced. Try adding sunflower, safflower or olive oil if you want added moisturizing benefits. These you might have at home or can buy in the super market.

Okay, I'll definitely try that! Thanks :toothy8:
  • etripolietripoli Posts: 119Registered Users
    I wouldn't combine the baking soda and ACV- it is a waste of money because they will react to essentially create water (although it could be entertaining to watch!).

I do however follow up my weekly DT with an ACV rinse. My logic is that I've worked to do some heavy moisturizing, and the ACV seals up the cuticle so maybe my hair will retain the moisture longer? I don't have any scientific proof of this, but my hair definitely likes it!
    CG Since 5/23/09
    3a - High Porosity / Coarse Texture on Crown, Medium Texture Beneath
    CO Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Cond.
    Condition: Salon Care Honey Almond Cond.
    Gel: Biotera gel
    DT: Honey, conditioner, EVOO(1x/wk)
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    etripoli wrote: »
    I wouldn't combine the baking soda and ACV- it is a waste of money because they will react to essentially create water (although it could be entertaining to watch!).

I do however follow up my weekly DT with an ACV rinse. My logic is that I've worked to do some heavy moisturizing, and the ACV seals up the cuticle so maybe my hair will retain the moisture longer? I don't have any scientific proof of this, but my hair definitely likes it!
    [/quote]

+1
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    I did a DT with homemade whipped avocado, olive oil and honey. My now feels thick, straw-like and not the soft, conditioned results I was hoping for. My hair seems to be protein sensitive. Did I use a bad combo?
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    smo6767 wrote: »
    I forgot to add- I don't have any shower caps so I just put a market basket bag on my head and put my curl ease towel over it, then wrapped it with a headband. :lol:

LOL...I use this method too!

• mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    I did a DT with homemade whipped avocado, olive oil and honey. My now feels thick, straw-like and not the soft, conditioned results I was hoping for. My hair seems to be protein sensitive. Did I use a bad combo?

I was wondering this too. I made a DT yesterday with some stuff I had lying around and needed to use...an overripe banana, some plain yogurt, coconut milk, honey, and olive oil. When I rinsed it off my head my hair felt like straw, but then I scrunched a little of my regular conditioner into my hair and it returned to normal. Today it is fine...I am having great second day hair actually, which never happens for me. But I know when I rinsed out the DT, and my hair felt crunchy, I wondered if it is because I am protein-sensitive or if a homemade DT just doesn't have the ingredients that manufacturers add for "slip"? Any thoughts on that anyone?

• brinabeebrinabee Curl Neophyte Posts: 105Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    But would look pretty awesome in front of small kids or elderly relatives......hahaha look at my hair,...its a volcano!!!!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!:headbang::tongue3:

ROTFL! This is funny to think about!:laughing4:

smo6767 Awesome job making your own conditioner!:thumbleft:
    Mix of all 2's and a bit of 3a in the back under waves :tongue10:
    Gone CG Since Sept/28/09
    ModCG Since June/2011
  • Aklyen124Aklyen124 Posts: 22Registered Users

I was wondering this too. I made a DT yesterday with some stuff I had lying around and needed to use...an overripe banana, some plain yogurt, coconut milk, honey, and olive oil. When I rinsed it off my head my hair felt like straw, but then I scrunched a little of my regular conditioner into my hair and it returned to normal. Today it is fine...I am having great second day hair actually, which never happens for me. But I know when I rinsed out the DT, and my hair felt crunchy, I wondered if it is because I am protein-sensitive or if a homemade DT just doesn't have the ingredients that manufacturers add for "slip"? Any thoughts on that anyone?

I don't know about carrie's DT (all of the ingredients are moisturizing) but in your case, you might want to be careful with the yogurt. Yogurt is one of those products that can act as a super cheap protein treatment.

As for slip, maybe wheat germ oil is needed. I remember it's good for hair but I don't use it yet. It's hard to find offline.
    Revenge is a dish best served with a splash of irony.:afro:
  • MslizziaMslizzia Posts: 600Registered Users
    So what significance did the apple cider have? I'm curious...

I don't think i would have done the baking soda and i wouldn't have even thought about the salt but i still would like to know
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    smo6767 wrote: »
    Okay well I am probably the most impatient person in the world when it comes to my hair, so I just sprung for it and made my own deep conditioner without any instructions or any idea at all how to do it. Here are the ingredients:

- Vo5 Moisture Milks conditioner- about 1/4 cup?
    - Apple Cider Vinegar- about 5 tbs?
    - Honey- about 2 tbs?
    - A pinch of baking soda :dontknow:
    - A pinch of salt (Uh... uh... yeah... :dontknow: again)

I'm pretty sure that's all, but I really just threw in some random stuff. I think the results will be disastrous, but who knows?

I really want to try this, seeing you got good results :) I think I'll try it out soon, and I'll post my results. :toothy8:
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
    Mslizzia wrote: »

I don't think i would have done the baking soda and i wouldn't have even thought about the salt but i still would like to know

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is acidic and is useful for those of us curlies with porous hair in getting the hair cuticle to lay flat. I always do a rinse of 2tbsp ACV for 1c water after my DT with hope that it will seal in the moisturizing I just did. My hair immediately feels smooth- it's really nice.

Although I've not personally experienced this, I think you could end up really throwing off your hair's pH if you did it too much.
    CG Since 5/23/09
  • MslizziaMslizzia Posts: 600Registered Users

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is acidic and is useful for those of us curlies with porous hair in getting the hair cuticle to lay flat. I always do a rinse of 2tbsp ACV for 1c water after my DT with hope that it will seal in the moisturizing I just did. My hair immediately feels smooth- it's really nice.

Although I've not personally experienced this, I think you could end up really throwing off your hair's pH if you did it too much.

ok well this sounds like something i need to do because my hair can't get enough moisture. probably because its not closed :\

ok well this sounds like something i need to do because my hair can't get enough moisture. probably because its not closed :\

Before you do it I would double check to see if your hair is porous. I started to write out a description of how to do this (it is quite simple), but you're better off reading it from Struttswife's website- I learned a lot from it. Here is the link that contains info on determining porosity:
    http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm
    CG Since 5/23/09

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file