Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Anyone deal with this during their pregnancies? (See link below for more info. I can't seem to type below the link.) I'm pretty sure this is what I'm dealing with. I'm talking to my doctor today. The pain started about a month ago (just after my last OB visit, of course!) and is not getting any better. I just wonder what others have experienced.

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i had it and diagnosed myself with it through internet research.

my husband had to help me get out of bed. i didn't take baths because getting in and out wasn't worth the discomfort.

i drove a low car and the pain of having to get inside it made me pause. some days, i'd be standing outside my car for a couple of minutes just looking at the door because i knew how painful it would be to get inside and then out again.

when i was alone at home, i had to swing one leg off the bed to get some momentum going so that i could roll off the bed by myself.

my doctor thought i was describing ligament stretching because i couldn't accurately explain the sensations i was feeling. but i knew what stretched ligaments felt like and that wasn't it.

when i walked around others, i seemed normal, but when i was alone, i'd grunt with each step i made because of the pain from the pressure of simply taking steps.

i just endured it. it didn't help that i was carrying a large baby and had lots of amniotic fluid even at the time of her full-term delivery. once i pushed her out i literally screamed "whew!" because the immediate pressure was instantly relieved. about 2 months post partum i remember feeling a cracking sensation deep inside my pelvis. i don't know for sure what it was, but i think my bones may have realigned themselves all on their own. i've never had a problem with pelvic discomfort since.

i understand your pain.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, rainshower. I know exactly what you mean. Getting in and out of the car is awful as is moving in bed or getting out of bed. Walking normally and doing stairs is also bad for me. I'm waddling big time. Also, going from sitting to standing/walking is very painful. I hope I feel that same relief you described with delivery. Can I ask if the pain affected your labor?

I wonder if fetal positioning has anything to do with it? With my first DS, I had a lot of sciatic pain on my right side. This is totally different. I wonder if this baby is in a different spot? I'll be curious to see what my ob says today.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    Thanks, rainshower. I know exactly what you mean. Getting in and out of the car is awful as is moving in bed or getting out of bed. Walking normally and doing stairs is also bad for me. I'm waddling big time. Also, going from sitting to standing/walking is very painful. I hope I feel that same relief you described with delivery. Can I ask if the pain affected your labor?

I wonder if fetal positioning has anything to do with it? With my first DS, I had a lot of sciatic pain on my right side. This is totally different. I wonder if this baby is in a different spot? I'll be curious to see what my ob says today.

my labor was under 3 hours and after 3-4 pushes, she was out in a gush of fluid, which gave me instant relief. i also think that knowing my time was near made the pelvic pain take a back seat to all the other labor sensations i was feeling.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had terrible pelvic/pubic pain with babies #2, #3, and #4. It got worse with each one, and I was practically crippled with the 4th one. Horrible. Getting from sitting to standing was the worst. I couldn't lift one leg at a time to dry myself after a shower, so I just slapped at my legs with a towel. I could reach down and shave my legs without pain though...as long as I didn't lift one higher than the other. I just butched through the pain and avoided things that hurt really badly. Curiously, it never bothered me during labor, and went away each time right after delivery.
    I'm glad to hear it didn't bother either one of you in labor. That gives me hope. Dr. said baby is breech right now, but she didn't think that was likely to cause the pain. :dontknow: She basically said all the stuff I've read on how to manage it. Like you said, RCW, I just try to avoid things that are too painful and just deal with it the best I can.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • mbeckhhpmbeckhhp Posts: 155Registered Users Curl Novice
    hi, am neuromuscular therapist, find one,or a structural bodyworker,(female) to address. Ligaments ,uneven pulling on the joint.Try lying down,knees up, and feet a foot, or so apart ,have someone cross their hands btween your knees, and hold,you squeeze, repaet hold for 6 seconds.If you hear a pop, or click, youve aligned the P.S. joint to where it suposed to be.congrats...michele Beck HHP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey
    • Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,, Condish Peter Lamas volumizing(rice protein) mixed w CJ smoothing,orGiovanni 50/50,or Eulasense balanced moisture. Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*, KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.mixed w Pattern Pusha.FOTE on dry. SOTC :1 drop meadowfoam oil.DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek,CJ repair me.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I might have had that. I had horrible pain in the inside of my hip joints. It felt like my hips were dislocating! Sitting, standing, rolling over and walking was torture. I had to hold on to furniture to walk because my hips kept going out on me. They would literally collapse under my weight. It was really really bad with #2. I could barely walk at all. I actually was planning on calling the doctor to get induced after the weekend, but ended up going into labor before it happened. I just couldn't take it anymore.

I didn't have any complications during labor, but I still had hip pain and trouble walking for a long time after delivery. I still have problems with them popping all the time and occasional pain. If it tells you how bad it was, despite tearing both times, the only post delivery pain I noticed was my hips.

My doctor just kinda wrote it off. All I know is I'm never having kids again because of it. It was bad the first time, and 100% worse the second.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I think I had it, at least mildly, with baby #2. The worst thing for me was rolling over in bed. I had to psych myself up to roll over or change positions, and then I did it as quickly as possible to get it over with.

I went to a chiropractor once during pregnancy to see if that would help. She did some kind of adjustment, but I thought it only helped slightly, so I only went the one time.

As far as baby position, I know he was not malpositioned during birth. The pain did not bother me during labor; it was actually a quick labor and about as easy as childbirth can be. Immediately after, the pain was about 90% gone, and it went away completely within a couple weeks.
    ehLB.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I found kegels did help somewhat with the pain. I especially tried to do a super-duper-tight kegel contraction before getting to a standing position. I think strengthening those pelvic floor muscles to get the heavy weight of the baby off those weak areas can help a bit.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    OMG yes I had it. I was often walking with a cane towards the end. Giving birth really helped. Sorry, I have no advice. Recovery has been slow too. I still feel weak in that area.
    hello.world.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I had it something awful when I was pregnant with Lucas. I remember trying to climb the stairs in my house and giving up, sitting down and crying. It sucked. Going to a chiropractor helped me a bit, but in the end, the only thing that really made a difference was not being pregnant anymore. See if you can find a chiro who specializing in prenatal care, because I think I would've gotten a lot more out of the treatments if I hadn't waited until I was in excruciating pain to go.

This time around, I have some pelvic pain, but it's pretty manageable, and not worsening. I do some exercises and I wear a maternity belt for part of the day. My body just isn't built to weigh as much as I did in my third trimester with my first pregnancy, so losing quite a bit of weight before I got pregnant this time and not gaining as much has also made a difference.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    Velvetpaws: I'm not sure if it is weight that is affecting me. I've only gained 12 pounds and I only gained 20 with Harry, which I lost in the first few weeks. I think it may just be how I'm carrying - all in front. I may try a maternity belt and then see a chiro if it worsens. What exercises are you doing?

Oh, and thanks to those who reminded me - Kegels! I'm trying to increase those this week.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    rainshower wrote: »
    i had it and diagnosed myself with it through internet research.

my husband had to help me get out of bed. i didn't take baths because getting in and out wasn't worth the discomfort.

i drove a low car and the pain of having to get inside it made me pause. some days, i'd be standing outside my car for a couple of minutes just looking at the door because i knew how painful it would be to get inside and then out again.

when i was alone at home, i had to swing one leg off the bed to get some momentum going so that i could roll off the bed by myself.

my doctor thought i was describing ligament stretching because i couldn't accurately explain the sensations i was feeling. but i knew what stretched ligaments felt like and that wasn't it.

when i walked around others, i seemed normal, but when i was alone, i'd grunt with each step i made because of the pain from the pressure of simply taking steps.

i just endured it. it didn't help that i was carrying a large baby and had lots of amniotic fluid even at the time of her full-term delivery. once i pushed her out i literally screamed "whew!" because the immediate pressure was instantly relieved. about 2 months post partum i remember feeling a cracking sensation deep inside my pelvis. i don't know for sure what it was, but i think my bones may have realigned themselves all on their own. i've never had a problem with pelvic discomfort since.

i understand your pain.

Yep.
    Rainshower, I could have written this post. I hurt for about 3 months post partum. To this day, I have sudden sharp pains and cracking of my hips.

Ugh. Remembering this time makes me all the more clear that I am done with babymaking.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    fuzzbucket wrote: »
    Velvetpaws: I'm not sure if it is weight that is affecting me. I've only gained 12 pounds and I only gained 20 with Harry, which I lost in the first few weeks. I think it may just be how I'm carrying - all in front. I may try a maternity belt and then see a chiro if it worsens. What exercises are you doing?

Oh, and thanks to those who reminded me - Kegels! I'm trying to increase those this week.

Fuzzbucket, I just mentioned weight because I know it made a difference for me. It doesn't sound like it's an issue for you at all. :) Like you, I carry all out in front, so I think that's also part of it.

For exercises, I lay flat on the floor and raise my butt off the floor, tightening my abs a bit as I do it. I do a series of about 10 reps. I also do another exercise where I also lay on the floor and lift my legs about six inches of the ground, holding then for a count of three, about 10 repetitions. The chiro I saw last time recommended these for me, and so far I've been feeling pretty decent. I do have some crotch and pelvic pain, but it isn't that bad and it doesn't seem to be getting worse at all, which is good.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    Fuzzbucket, I just mentioned weight because I know it made a difference for me. It doesn't sound like it's an issue for you at all. :) Like you, I carry all out in front, so I think that's also part of it.

For exercises, I lay flat on the floor and raise my butt off the floor, tightening my abs a bit as I do it. I do a series of about 10 reps. I also do another exercise where I also lay on the floor and lift my legs about six inches of the ground, holding then for a count of three, about 10 repetitions. The chiro I saw last time recommended these for me, and so far I've been feeling pretty decent. I do have some crotch and pelvic pain, but it isn't that bad and it doesn't seem to be getting worse at all, which is good.

I will definitely try those, but not today. Today has been bad. I can barely move. DH has to help lift my legs in and out of bed. Sitting is ok, but getting up and walking I have to hold onto the furniture. My ob kind of wrote it off as part of being pregnant. Well, then why didn't I have this last time? My next appointment, I'm going to print off some info for her. :angry5:
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had it. My midwife kept referring to my pain as "pressure" until I printed out 50 or so pages of internet research and highlighted it for her.

Going to a chiro reduced the pain for a few days so I would go twice a week or so. Getting down on my hands and knees and arching my back like a cat helped too. The only thing that really helped was giving birth.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think this thread jinxed me. My hips have hurting non-stop for 2 days.
    cympreni wrote: »
    I think this thread jinxed me. My hips have hurting non-stop for 2 days.

Sorry, C! And here, I've been having a couple of slightly better days.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Bumping for Deedles
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file